So, I agree with pretty much everything in Anita Sarkeesian's Damsels in Distress video.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Sorry. Wait, no. I'm not sorry. I'm really not sorry at all. Sorry I'm not sorry.

On the other hand, I pretty much agree with pretty much everything in her video. Maybe not %100, but the very vast majority. Since there are a lot of videos attempting to, usually quite poorly explain why they disagree with her video, picking it apart piece by piece usually with strawman arguments and so forth.

I'm going to, piece by piece, explain why I agree with the various points she makes in the video.
It is sad even some people agree her arguments.
Why? because her arguments are very weak, biased and ignorant.

1) She behaves like an event only happens specifically for one group, and neglects that event can happen other groups as well.
2) She doesn't know the games and characters she talk about, and her arguments are focused about only one single specific situation for that game or character.
3) She has a prejudice about everything around her is misogynistic and specifially done to mistrust women. Therefore her arguments are focused to prove her ideology.

She complains about games that uses "damsels in distress" as a story line. There are some funny things about that:
1- "Damsel in Distress" is just a "plot". Main story is about our hero's adventure during start and end, his struggles, overcoming obstacles, experiences, and telling a "coming of age" story. The game revolves around that concept, saving the damsel is just an end result, but the main aim is to "knowing" the world.
2- Damsel in Distress is just a reason. The reason can be anything, saving a woman, saving the world, saving a man, saving an animal, saving your friend... Saving a male character in distress, isn't there to create a mistrust towards men. It is same for opposite, saving a female character in distress, isn't there to create a hatred towards women. But she likes to show only female charactres become in distress, and this is just because of misoygny.
3- She argues that when a female character captured, and waits to be rescued, that character miss the opportunity to be a hero, and this is misogyny. And my question is, why should every character have to be a hero? Let's say I have captured by 10 terrorist. I would sit down quietly and wait to be rescued. That's is the logical choice, because I don't have the skills to overcome 10 terrorists at once. However, this doesn't make me any inferior, because I have skills in other areas. One example: Did you play famous arcade game Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja? In this game, President is kidnapped by Ninjas, and we have to rescue him. He is THE PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES! But still he waits to be rescued, and doesn't try to escape from ninjas. Does this makes him a lesser person? Does this creates a misandry of hatred/towards men? No! He is still THE PRESIDENT! But when Princess Zelda captured, Anita counts this as a "hatred and mistrust towards women".

Watch this video, she explains the problems of Anita's arguments, and why Anita's argued "THE DAMSELS! IN THE DISTRESS!" subject is not that much a big issue, better than me:

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
There's nothing wrong with what she's doing, but it's just not interesting to watch. She lacks any sort of on screen persona, and I know she's touching on serious subjects, but it doesn't matter much if I'm falling asleep watching her videos. She doesn't seem interested in her own work, and it seems like she's just reading from a script in a completely deadpan manner.

REZNoR_greed

Jan 21, 2010
sorry if anyone wanted to let this thread die. I'm just a little curious at this point, and this seems to be the only place left to still discuss it. (I don't want to start a new thread about it, lest we go through the same arguments over again)
it took roughly 9 months between the completion of her kickstarter and her first video in the series. it has now been about 2 months since her first video. is anyone around still even that interested in what the rest of the series has to say? and if so, how long would it take before you stop caring?

I guess I just wonder if the series will even still matter if another 9 months goes by before another video is finished. and even moreso if that's the pattern for the whole series.