So I got my girlfriend gaming, but what can I have her play

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Schlen said:
She watched me play Bioshock and fallout 3 on the PS3 so she picked up fallout and started playing and enjoyed it, so far so good.

So far I have tried:
Fallout 3 - OK
Soul Calibur 4 - OK
Fallout: New vegas - boring >_<
Tekken 6 - not OK
Assassins Creed brotherhood - not ok
GTA IV - too hard
Bioshock 1-2 - too hard

So what do I get her now? My biggest problem with finding her a suitable game is that she's still having problems with dual thumbsticks so something which could introduce it with some ease would be great.

I'm really out of ideas
Ok, first, new Extra Credits episode. Good start right there and I'll probably repeating most of the advice there.

It's strange how this was never mentioned, but have you actually asked her about what she likes? Saying Flalout 3 passed the grade is a little too broad an answer. I cna throw you five hundred title that play "like" Fallout 3 but you'll never know which ones will be good until you know why she likes it. The why of the matter is what you want to be able to suggest other games that she may or may not like. Here are just a few examples:

I like VATS: This would explain why she doesn't like other first-person shooters or finds them too difficult. VATS rewards palnning your actions as opposed to quick reflexes. It pauses combat and lets your think about your choices. It's essentially a pause feature to assess the situation and act accordingly. If this is the case, finds games that reward planning or can pause mid combat to gain a tactical view. Games like the Tales serise apply this to a real-time combat venue with a lock-on targeting system that allows you to pause, think about your tactics, then target the proper creature(s) and apply a strategy of furious combat combos. On the flip side, you can try getting her into third-person and cover based shooting games. This will give her the time to think out her actions while she takes cover/blind-fires. Work her up to pure bred FPS games by going a route like Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas or Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior and then finally into your Call of Dutys and BioShocks.

I like the Characters/Story: This is where you should be introducing her to RPGs. Start with current games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins and then work her along the path. Give her games that have excellent character interaction and give meaning to the world around her. This is what will draw her in and lose her in the moment. BioWare has a fairly robust library for this and anything from that catalogue will help her get her feet wet.

I like Freedom: So get her games where she can do what she wants, when she wants. FYI, that means no Assassin's Creed, as that game is fairly linear compared to Fallout 3. Try games like Saint's Row, Crackdown (the original) or Terraria depending on her preferances. Those three games are all about freedom of choice on how to tackle objectives, to the point where Crackdown basically drops you in a sandbox and says "Yeah, there are some crime bosses you should think about killing but destroying everything is cool, too." If she likes the freedom to choose when to tackle objectives, sandbox games will be her dream come true in gaming.

I like Killing Stuff: Well, that's a fairly easy habit to feed. Here you want to find out what about Fallout 3 makes the killing appealing to her. Is it the fact that they explode into gorey bits? Get her a bloodbath game like Darksiders or Borderlands. Does she like the fact that it's easy to kill things? Introduce her to Beat 'Um Ups like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance or Torchlight. Is it the setting? For that you'll need to find out what sorts of backdrops she finds interesting in movies, books and other media. Really, this topic is probably the hardest to define and you'll most likely want to narrow it down further before making a suggestion.

Lastly -- and I would consider this the most important part -- she needs to understand games are hard! More specifically, games are supposed to be challenging. They aren't instant gratification like movies, television or books are. They're supposed to give you some sort of obstacle to overcome and you do just that by sharpening player skills and using the tools you've been given within the game. She needs to understand that dying is normal, failure is a lesson learned and that there's a reset button for a darn good reason. Gaming isn't something you're instantly great at and practice, patience and perservearence are all key skills in enjoying a good game. While modern games have diluted some of those complications out of games today so more people can access them, they still, at their core, hold those values and eventually you hit them head on. Don't be discouraging about this, however, and explain that the reason why games are sometimes really enjoyable are because they give you a sense of accomplishment for doing something extraordinary.

My last piece of advise specifically for you is that you need to remember that everyone games at their own pace. As long as she hasn't given up on a game because she understands that games are supposed to challenge you, let her do it within her time frame. She may take a week off just to think about it. She may want you to play your file to watch how things flow in the game. She may just not seem interested because she has other things to do. Let her. It's super important that she feels that she's gaming when she wants to and not because you're forcing her.

If you have any further questions or need help defining some of the pricipals I've laid out here, don't hesitate to PM here. If she wants to ask a few questions, please, I definately encourgae that too. I love nothing more than to help people, especially when it's to enjoy one of my own passions. Happy gaming to you two!

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
How about Resident Evil 5? It has a good selection of difficulty settings, so you could find the right one for her skill level, plus it has co-op, so you could have your faces bitten off together!

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
HellsingerAngel said:
Ok, first, new Extra Credits episode. Good start right there and I'll probably repeating most of the advice there.

It's strange how this was never mentioned, but have you actually asked her about what she likes? Saying Flalout 3 passed the grade is a little too broad an answer. I cna throw you five hundred title that play "like" Fallout 3 but you'll never know which ones will be good until you know why she likes it. The why of the matter is what you want to be able to suggest other games that she may or may not like. Here are just a few examples:

I like VATS: This would explain why she doesn't like other first-person shooters or finds them too difficult. VATS rewards palnning your actions as opposed to quick reflexes. It pauses combat and lets your think about your choices. It's essentially a pause feature to assess the situation and act accordingly. If this is the case, finds games that reward planning or can pause mid combat to gain a tactical view. Games like the Tales serise apply this to a real-time combat venue with a lock-on targeting system that allows you to pause, think about your tactics, then target the proper creature(s) and apply a strategy of furious combat combos. On the flip side, you can try getting her into third-person and cover based shooting games. This will give her the time to think out her actions while she takes cover/blind-fires. Work her up to pure bred FPS games by going a route like Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas or Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior and then finally into your Call of Dutys and BioShocks.

I like the Characters/Story: This is where you should be introducing her to RPGs. Start with current games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins and then work her along the path. Give her games that have excellent character interaction and give meaning to the world around her. This is what will draw her in and lose her in the moment. BioWare has a fairly robust library for this and anything from that catalogue will help her get her feet wet.

I like Freedom: So get her games where she can do what she wants, when she wants. FYI, that means no Assassin's Creed, as that game is fairly linear compared to Fallout 3. Try games like Saint's Row, Crackdown (the original) or Terraria depending on her preferances. Those three games are all about freedom of choice on how to tackle objectives, to the point where Crackdown basically drops you in a sandbox and says "Yeah, there are some crime bosses you should think about killing but destroying everything is cool, too." If she likes the freedom to choose when to tackle objectives, sandbox games will be her dream come true in gaming.

I like Killing Stuff: Well, that's a fairly easy habit to feed. Here you want to find out what about Fallout 3 makes the killing appealing to her. Is it the fact that they explode into gorey bits? Get her a bloodbath game like Darksiders or Borderlands. Does she like the fact that it's easy to kill things? Introduce her to Beat 'Um Ups like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance or Torchlight. Is it the setting? For that you'll need to find out what sorts of backdrops she finds interesting in movies, books and other media. Really, this topic is probably the hardest to define and you'll most likely want to narrow it down further before making a suggestion.

Lastly -- and I would consider this the most important part -- she needs to understand games are hard! More specifically, games are supposed to be challenging. They aren't instant gratification like movies, television or books are. They're supposed to give you some sort of obstacle to overcome and you do just that by sharpening player skills and using the tools you've been given within the game. She needs to understand that dying is normal, failure is a lesson learned and that there's a reset button for a darn good reason. Gaming isn't something you're instantly great at and practice, patience and perservearence are all key skills in enjoying a good game. While modern games have diluted some of those complications out of games today so more people can access them, they still, at their core, hold those values and eventually you hit them head on. Don't be discouraging about this, however, and explain that the reason why games are sometimes really enjoyable are because they give you a sense of accomplishment for doing something extraordinary.

My last piece of advise specifically for you is that you need to remember that everyone games at their own pace. As long as she hasn't given up on a game because she understands that games are supposed to challenge you, let her do it within her time frame. She may take a week off just to think about it. She may want you to play your file to watch how things flow in the game. She may just not seem interested because she has other things to do. Let her. It's super important that she feels that she's gaming when she wants to and not because you're forcing her.

If you have any further questions or need help defining some of the pricipals I've laid out here, don't hesitate to PM here. If she wants to ask a few questions, please, I definately encourgae that too. I love nothing more than to help people, especially when it's to enjoy one of my own passions. Happy gaming to you two!
Ill get back to you when I'm sober cause that's a bloody wall
I bet it's goot but... yeah sobriety seems required

TCPirate

Dec 1, 2009
Cooking Mama?
*Troll Face*

But serious. Titan Quest? that's a brilliant game. It's a nice RPG game, great story, not to hard to play, either.
I got my girlfriend into playing games by showing her the Original Fable, unfortunately, due to how good the original was, she hated the second and third one :<

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
There was that Extra Credits episode recently that talked about this kind of thing. Try giving it a watch.

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
Prince of Persia 2008 or the hd sands of times. Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. The mass effect series maybe.

Dchao

Apr 10, 2011
cubikill said:
Prince of Persia 2008 or the hd sands of times. Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. The mass effect series maybe.
Is that Enslaved game worth playing? What kinda genre is it?

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
its a action/platformer. Its alot like the 2008 prince of persia. So if you like that kind of game then yes, i think its worth playing.

MasterMongoose0

Nov 3, 2009
LittleBigPlanet.
Portal (2).
If you have a Wii, just about anything except Metroid.
Licensed stuff maybe? (Batman AA, Spiderman 2/WoS/SD, Toy Story 3, Cars 2 etc)

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
If your girl can pick things up fast I would recommend Mass Effect and move her through that series.
If not Portal is probably the easiest way to introduce someone to gaming, if not the best.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Fanta Grape said:
But if you don't feel like giving her a year's worth of gaming to try out, just start off with Final Fantasy VII. Everyone loves Final Fantasy VII.
[DO NOT REPLY TO THIS STATEMENT]
The 'do not reply' demands that I must, and therefore will, and also that you are not convinced in the statement to let it rest on it's own. Personally, I find VII hardest to get into, and also ugliest to look at.

And stop giving her violent stuff? She's a woman, not a little child. I'm sure she can decide if she wants violence or not. Eeeesh.

Anyways...I'd try a few genres and see what she takes to. Fable is fairly straightforward, though I don't personally like it, so it might be worth a try. Saint's Row 2 is a good sandbox title and a lot easier and more fun that GTAIV. De Blob 2 is fun platformy goodness and maybe Halo as a shooter might be a good place to start. More modern titles don't give you chance to get used to the pace really, so are not great for novice gamers. Katamari might be a good one to try too. If she's into puzzly things then I'd get her a DS.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Galletea said:
Fanta Grape said:
But if you don't feel like giving her a year's worth of gaming to try out, just start off with Final Fantasy VII. Everyone loves Final Fantasy VII.
[DO NOT REPLY TO THIS STATEMENT]
The 'do not reply' demands that I must, and therefore will, and also that you are not convinced in the statement to let it rest on it's own. Personally, I find VII hardest to get into, and also ugliest to look at.

And stop giving her violent stuff? She's a woman, not a little child. I'm sure she can decide if she wants violence or not. Eeeesh.

Anyways...I'd try a few genres and see what she takes to. Fable is fairly straightforward, though I don't personally like it, so it might be worth a try. Saint's Row 2 is a good sandbox title and a lot easier and more fun that GTAIV. De Blob 2 is fun platformy goodness and maybe Halo as a shooter might be a good place to start. More modern titles don't give you chance to get used to the pace really, so are not great for novice gamers. Katamari might be a good one to try too. If she's into puzzly things then I'd get her a DS.
I say no violent stuff because it's just a bad way to start off a medium. Pulp Fiction is brilliant but A New Hope must always come first.

Out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played (1, 6, 7, 8, 10, 10-2, 13) I liked 7 the best. It had one of the cleanest looks (as opposed to the disgusting slimy X), had some of the best combat (as opposed to the junction system) and had the most enjoyable core gameplay. I find older games (pre-90's) are difficult for anyone who's not a veteran gamer to get into, and I found FFVI's character system to be distant, as in forcing you to play certain character sets at certain times, even very early on.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
Racing games: Start out with ones with a more arcadey feel, EXCEPT Burnout. It just doesn't work properly straight off the bat.

FPS: No CoD, Battlefield, anything where you shoot other HUMANS (General rule anyway). Halo might be good, since you spend the campaign fighting ugly aliens that dont bleed red. And the controls are easy to learn. If you are using a PS3 Ratchet and Clank might work as well. Really just start on any game that doesn't push the military fetishism stereotype.
Strategy: Avoid this, unless you feel with ABSOLUTE certainty she would like them.

Simulations: Not sure.

RPGs: Well, you've already tried this and it worked okay. When introducing ANYONE to these games, find ones that are familiar to their interests (no shit).

MMOs: (If only just to remove the bitter basement dweller stereotype) Start with another genre, this is probably a longer term goal.

Dasrufken said:
Let her decide.
Or this.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Fanta Grape said:
I say no violent stuff because it's just a bad way to start off a medium. Pulp Fiction is brilliant but A New Hope must always come first.

Out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played (1, 6, 7, 8, 10, 10-2, 13) I liked 7 the best. It had one of the cleanest looks (as opposed to the disgusting slimy X), had some of the best combat (as opposed to the junction system) and had the most enjoyable core gameplay. I find older games (pre-90's) are difficult for anyone who's not a veteran gamer to get into, and I found FFVI's character system to be distant, as in forcing you to play certain character sets at certain times, even very early on.

I see. You didn't play 9, which is probably one of the best in terms of all round story, gameplay and accessibility. I loved VIII but it is rather long winded and the story is somewhat convoluted. Also the re-releases of the early ones are good.
And I don't know that I'd make anyone watch Star Wars without an interest in sci fi.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Galletea said:
Fanta Grape said:

I see. You didn't play 9, which is probably one of the best in terms of all round story, gameplay and accessibility. I loved VIII but it is rather long winded and the story is somewhat convoluted. Also the re-releases of the early ones are good.
And I don't know that I'd make anyone watch Star Wars without an interest in sci fi.
I've heard many people compliment 9 and I plan on playing it roughly next year but I'm hesitant. Mainly because of the art direction. Not that I refuse to play it, I've just been resilient. We'll see. But out of all the ones I've played, I thought VII was the best in many aspects and overall the "softest" for a new player.

Also, really? You wouldn't pick Star Wars? Have you ever met a person who doesn't like at least one of the prequels?