So I got my girlfriend gaming, but what can I have her play

Beertaster

Jan 20, 2011
My best suggestions are

Fable 2 and Fable 3 - these games have a huge player base and focus on being simpler to play.

Minecraft -I like this game alot, it might not be your style, but your just build stuff. Easy.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - easier to play than SFIV (I suck at SFIV), recognizable characters and others she doesn't know but might get to like.

yea I'm focusing on easy stuff but, beginners are not familiar with games to begin with so its a good focus. Also all these games have ways so you can play with her.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Maybe check out the latest extra credits? its all about introducing gaming to non gamers.

That said: steer clear of complex or slow games and go for somthing with a nice even learning curve and that is either pick up and play fun or has a story that sucks you in right from the beginning. Thing is not everyone will react the same way when intorduced to gaming so you're going to have to feel your way a bit, just go with whatever she warms to.

As for suggestions I'm probably not going to be much help, i'm something of an old hand at gaming and for me the more complex and the steeper the learning curve the better. I'm just out of touch with more basic game types.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Probably been said, but the latest Extra Credits would be a good place to start.

OneEyeX

Sep 6, 2005
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Get her to try Demon's Souls.
This person parents like a pro.
When I wanna teach my kids to drive; I'm going to load my car up with gas tanks and fireworks and send them on their marry way.

Natural Selection at it's finest.

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
hermes200 said:
Its curious that Fallout 3 is ok, but Bioshock is "too hard". Set on easy is pretty, pretty easy... besides, you can't die.
Yes but the dual thumbstick usage is... a problem

@James Charles.
Yes minecraft works but she got bored playing it on her lappie since one of those small... things its quite lacking in RAM and therefore run sloooow, she still enjoys it on my comp from time to time.

As many of you have said I will check Extra Credits in a min.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
StBishop said:
Was pulling the first thing I thought of, but yeah, Dead Space probably wasn't my brightest moment.

I was more trying to flesh out my suggestion with some examples. ;)
I know. I just thought it was ironic. ;P

Simili

Nov 17, 2009
I recently got my fiance into dragon age origins. Took her a while to get the hang of it but now she loves running around picking locks and loping off darkspawn heads.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Mortal Kombat *snickers*

But seriously. That game shouldnt be too hard to get into seeing that it's only 2D and you dont have to use the thumbsticks.

What about Fable? Alot of women likes Fable, and Fable 3 have co-op, so you can play that game together.
If everything else fails, try Portal

*Wanted to insert a meme here, but seing that it could be misjudged because you dont know it, i'll just skip it*

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Just take her to a game store and let her pick something out. Or just let her go through your stack of games. I got hooked on gaming on Pacman and Pong and Tetris as a child so it really depends on her. And what her interests are.

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
The main problem is that she thinks most games are stupid and wont see the point of doing what ever the hell you're doing...

Thinking of it FPS and Fighting should be her kind of things, it's simple, punch that guy, go there, shoot that guy.

Red Dead and AssCreed must be tried again since she can fuff about as much as she wants.
Fable and PopCap are shiny and simple
Ratchet and clank seems to be a good idea too since the learning curve is great

@aprilmarie
I have tried a few times and I will try again but ofc I don't want to force anything

As for dumb suggestions why not try Vanquish :p

A big thank you to all who have posted in this thread even the... less helpful ones!
You have been a great help and I think that over time I can convert her to the dark side

Dchao

Apr 10, 2011
Is it bad I see OP forcing his girlfriend into a chair Clock Work Orange style until she plays the games he wants her to play?

.__. Good luck OP!

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well ease her into gaming, try some co-op game first (Fable would be good at first and try to get her to play Gears of war, but spend some time in the arena first, let her carve you a new one so she wont be pissed at you if she dies), DO NOT GO ONLINE, she has to be pretty experienced with offline to start going online.

But try training with her with these games.

RPG: Start with fable and then ease her into Mass Effect then Fallout.
FPS: TF2 (Offline) is good for starters and then try to ease her into playing Call Of Duty: WaW, since its co-op and then let her try Bad Company or something.
TPS: Crash Bandicoot would be good at first then try a Jak and Daxter game and then a Uncharted game (Then GTA and red Dead?).
Puzzle: Portal of course!
Horror: LAST RESORT, when she is experienced enough, you know good reflexs and all.

If you think she is good enough let her Vs you and help her train for the online world and the ease her into online by joining small games and then into the bigger games.

If she does not like these games take her to the store to pick something she likes...and dont complain about the game she picks.

Also I hear Online minecraft is good to chill and relax until...tisssssssss *boom!*

EDIT: Also for fighting...play...ugh, damn, I got no idea mabey...no, crap go no idea for fighting games mabey wait until she is experienced enough to play fighting games since its all about the combos and reflexes and that.

jaateloauto

Jan 23, 2008
TheStatutoryApe said:
Saint's Row 2 is just awesome and fun with a pretty decent story to go with. The difficulty can be dropped but she may still have issues with the dual joysticks. My friend was having serious issues with driving because of the dual joysticks.
You know there is an alternative control mechanism in that game..

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Schlen said:
She watched me play Bioshock and fallout 3 on the PS3 so she picked up fallout and started playing and enjoyed it, so far so good.

So far I have tried:
Fallout 3 - OK
Soul Calibur 4 - OK
Fallout: New vegas - boring >_<
Tekken 6 - not OK
Assassins Creed brotherhood - not ok
GTA IV - too hard
Bioshock 1-2 - too hard

So what do I get her now? My biggest problem with finding her a suitable game is that she's still having problems with dual thumbsticks so something which could introduce it with some ease would be great.

I'm really out of ideas
I suggest Blue Dragon for the 360 it's fairly cheap and a solid title.

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
jaateloauto said:
You know there is an alternative control mechanism in that game..
Didn't have any issue with it myself so I never checked though I wish I had known for my friend since it was so painfully frustrating to watch him play.

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
Dchao said:
Is it bad I see OP forcing his girlfriend into a chair Clock Work Orange style until she plays the games he wants her to play?

.__. Good luck OP!

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea

@StormShaun
A fairly solid list, thing about fighting games though is she's already my equal so that's no problem