So I just finished Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers everywhere, you have been warned)

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
Yes, it's weird because he's being indoctrinated. The big black lines, screen distortion, head-clutching and Reaper sounds kinda clue you in on that.

And now let's use this thread for talking about something that didn't become excruciatingly tiring 3 months ago.

So... what did everyone think of the ending to Lost?
Eh, not as good as The Sopranos.

captcha: do more sit-ups

Fuck off captcha. If I want to be a lazy fuck that's MY business.
Well yeah, but what about those two Matrix sequels, eh?

Oh oh OH! And I'm dying to know what everyone thought of KotOR 2's ending.

[sub](And for the record, I really liked Lost's ending.)[/sub]
[sub](also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)[/sub]
(also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)

[HEADING=1](also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)[/HEADING]

Hey!

I'm not a "her", I'm a "him"! A very manly "him".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Irridium said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh, and just so you know, if you can push your EMS up to 5K, you can Paragon-pass that final persuasion check against The Illusive Man and make him blow his own brains out, Saren style.
Wait what? I had an EMS of 3650 and got him to do that.
Hmmm, guess that proves my ass wrong. :p

My first playthrough I only had about 4700 or so and that was the only persuasion check that I couldn't make (despite having a full reputation bar), every other playthrough has been with 5K or more and I've always been able to do it, so I had assumed that's what it was.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
Yes, it's weird because he's being indoctrinated. The big black lines, screen distortion, head-clutching and Reaper sounds kinda clue you in on that.

And now let's use this thread for talking about something that didn't become excruciatingly tiring 3 months ago.

So... what did everyone think of the ending to Lost?
Eh, not as good as The Sopranos.

captcha: do more sit-ups

Fuck off captcha. If I want to be a lazy fuck that's MY business.
Well yeah, but what about those two Matrix sequels, eh?

Oh oh OH! And I'm dying to know what everyone thought of KotOR 2's ending.

[sub](And for the record, I really liked Lost's ending.)[/sub]
[sub](also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)[/sub]
(also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)

[HEADING=1](also for the record, I really liked KotOR 2's ending)[/HEADING]

Hey!

I'm not a "her", I'm a "him"! A very manly "him".
Silence, O manly she-witch. Silence!

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I just beat it as well. I didn't think it could be as bad as everyone made it out to be. I thought it was just the internet over reacting like it does sometimes. It was all looking good, then I got to the End... I was wrong. I think my brother described the look on my face as "Looked like I was about to kick the TV." Besides the ending, it is definitely my favorite Mass Effect. Including that... I liked 1 the most.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Rehash of old argument looking for sympathy? People told you you won't like it (by your own admission you knew about this ending) so now you're surprised when you get to the end and its not to your liking?
Like ordering a sandwich that you know the end content of it is made of shit, yet you still eat it anyway then complain...
One thing that really bothers me is people who stir up shit after things have settled... drama whores.

Martin Toney

May 29, 2012
Very well said, as a subject of discussion hell yes. but please no more ME:3 ending threads >_<

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah...wasn't just the ending...

The opening was epic until the sappy part with the kid (and soldiers, which Shepard could give a shit less about...apparently)getting Reapered up the pooper. Now we have to convince a bunch of dudes that don't like each other to end thousands year conflics in the span of 2 weeks.

So off we go to Palavan with a quick stop to pick up EDI's body. Garrus's home world looks worse than Earth despite having a stronger military. They need help from the Krogan that hate them. As soon as I heard that, I though...well, sorry Garrus. Kiss your world goodby....wait, they'll help if I cure the thousand year old plague? Oh..Ok. That makes sense in Biowarebullshit Land. Off we go to cure the plague. WEEEEEE.

Here's were we break for more ghost kid fun. My Shepard is the scourge of the galaxy, punching reporters in the face and shoving dudes out of windows..but also dreaming about some kid getting reaped???? Tha fuu....whatever.

Now we take a trip to help the Migrant Fleet, whom inexplicably chose to suicide their way through the Geth, (who secretly has a crush on them and really....REALLY want them to return home, despite the countless millions of Tali's they've killed)right in the middle of the invasion of the entire Milky Way Galaxy??? Sure...let's roll with that. We're talking 200 years of war...again, over in less than a week. So Tali and her much hotter older aunt (I'm guessing since Bioware screwed us out of unmasked Quarians) shows up on the ship and guess what...SURPRISE...ITs Legion and he's got issues only Shepard can fix.

Shepard destroys a reaper on foot? ON FOOT? I somehow managed to avoid the death ray here...but later on in the game...

More creepy Shepperd having ghost kid dreams.

Help those stuck up Bitches out on Thessia...oh...and they had the key to victory all this time but wasn't sharing? Should have been the first race to go, in my opinion...

At this point, I'm bummed that the Normandy is pretty empty. Been running with the same crew for 15 hours. Hook up with the Justicar. She tells me she'll help me out. She must meant help me out by cheering me on...still stuck with the same dudes.

Final conflict HAS to be on Earth. Of course it does. Fire off more rockets at a reaper WHILE DODGING THE REAPER BEAM. WE DID IT!!! Hugs Garrus and EDI....Beam comes...they're dead. Shoot some husks. Talk to Elusive Man.

Wait....My arbitrary reaper points are only at 3k? Whatever. Talk to Elusive Man. Shoot Elusive Man...who was right the entire time. Was a good dude. We use to take smoke breaks together in ME2....anyway. Anderson dies or falls asleep or some shit. Talk to Ghost Kid as if the Crucible has been reading Shepards diary. He gives me 3 choices. Yay...three choices. For a second, I thought the game was just going to cut to some pre-determined cutscene where the choices I made over the last 3 games matte....oh, that did happen.

So cut to the cutscene. Big blue lights...too bad Edi and Garrus didn't make it. Where the f*** is Joker going? Crashed on some planet light years AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL CONFLICT. What the shit? There's Edi and Garrus and the rest of the crew alive and well.

Well that was a shit ending. Reload save.

Choose the red light option. Same bullshit outcome. Reload save.

Choose the green option. Same bullshit outcome. Reload older save.

Play about 5 hours of multiplayer to boost my arbitrary reaper points (ARPs for short) to max.

Choose the blue option...same bullshit outcome BUT Anderson lives? Oh...good thing I did all that multiplayer.

Choose the red light option....this is stupid.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Welcome to the party. You are a little late but that's OK. Plenty of room for everyone.

I hated the ending because it insulted everything I learned about the franchise.

Honestly I went into the last part of the game expecting what happened in the second one, where if you made wrong choices people would die. I even expected sheperd to die. I didn't put high hopes in for the Crucible because it was an unknown. No one knew what would happen if it was activated. For all we knew it could have been a reaper doomsday device, a candy dispenser, or the restart button of the entire known universe. (A second Big Bang)

Only the entire event did not feel at all like Mass Effect. It was really poorly executed and the entire Deus Ex ending didn't help the case either.

I was sorely disappointed and the way how EAware handled the PR of the aftermath left a horrible taste in my mouth that I forever washed my hands of any EAware future games.

Nunatak

Oct 22, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
OniaPL said:
But I liked the ME3 ending. Does that make me a bad person? :eek:
No it makes us jealous of you.

Genuine curiosity, not flamebait: Could you tell me what you liked about it? I have yet to meet someone who actually can.
I feel inclined to respond to this because I too liked the ending.

-
I went in dreading what would turn up on my play-through, knowing that whatever it was served to piss a lot of people off. After all was said and done, I actually spent a few hours reading up on the conflict wondering to myself: "What exactly pissed so many people off, then? I don't get it."

I went into the climax expecting a sudden last-minute exposition on the Reapers' deeper motivations, so that already served to warm me up to something like the Catalyst's appearance. Sovereign's and Harbinger's more memorable quotes and further elaboration on the cyclical pattern of organic life during the third game left me wanting for answers, and they were provided. Having heard of and debated the concept of technological singularity prior - and knowing that organics vs synthetics was a recurring theme, I mostly accepted and was fascinated by the new information.

As for how it was presented, writing could have been better, admittedly. I mostly got the impression, however, that both the Catalyst and the Reapers were trapped in their own logic, their age-old self-fulfilling prophecy. I felt that their manipulated cycles encouraged and confirmed the singularity they feared rather than prevented or solved it - that border that they were afraid to ever cross.

I have read many arguments from people who argue the Reapers' nature seems comparable to the danger they claim to protect organic life from, but I consider them at least partly organic. I think their fear was mostly synthetic dominance, organic redundancy. To lose what humans would say 'makes us human.' So for all their synthetic additions, they held on to something they were afraid to let go of. Despite this, seeing the cycle come to pass over and over rendered them arrogant towards 'younger' organic life, as it lacked the 'perspective' they had. Ironically, they were trapped into becoming the very thing they fear.

Because this is how I interpreted the Catalyst's logic, Synthesis made a lot of sense to me. I thought for minutes about the choice - it was a difficult one - but in the end I felt like Synthesis would be the only choice that would allow life to finally transcend the hurdle that the Reapers both feared and fuelled, to move past a paradigm where organics and synthetics are considered opposites. To move on into something new.

I was sad as hell about sacrificing myself - leaving Liara behind, again. I promised her I wouldn't and that tore at me, but it made making the choice even more significant, somehow. The moment I fell into the beam, my doubts evaporated and I felt that it had been the only right choice for me all along. I pitied the Reapers and their master, in a way. So I wanted to forgive them, and life to move on. When would be the next opportunity to resolve this conflict in this way, if ever? This was the confirmed first chance for it in what must have been eons. I thought of Mordin's parting words: "Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

As such, the ending satisfied me personally, emotionally. These thoughts swept me up so much that I didn't take much offense at some inconsistencies around it, though in reading up on other people's grievances with the ending I agree some things do not add up, should have been left out or could use clearing up. I also feel that if the military force a player had assembled had been more visually present during the battle leading up to the Citadel (Dragon Age's ending comes to mind, storming a castle together with the factions that joined you), it would have done a lot to better reassure people that their actions made a difference. Where were my Geth, Krogan, Rachni? Not fighting by my side, on Earth.

In the broader sense, however, I felt that I left behind a galaxy that would face many challenges, but they would be new challenges - free from a cycle and its technology that trapped and constrained us all - for the first time ever. And that felt good.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
nikki191 said:
i feel your pain *hugs in sympathy*

its the first time in 32 years of gaming that an ending has retroactively destroyed my interest in a franchise
I feel exactly the same way. When ME3 was nearly out, I was preparing my Shepards, and planning on doing some more play-throughs right from ME1 to try some different options. Then that ending happened, and I completely lost interest. There is literally no point. It might influence a couple of minor interactions in the [much streamlined] story, but not the ending.
And another thing! What the hell happened to the big, explorable Mass Effect universe??!! It became few floors on the Citadel, and the missions. And no exploration.

I have been playing the MP mode with my friends, and its quite good, but there are plenty of good MP shooters out there, when I bought Mass Effect 3 I wanted it to be The Best Game Ever, and it wasn't. The potential was there for it to be, but they pissed it away.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Nunatak said:
Thank you! It's nice to hear a detailed and reasonable explanation for why someone enjoyed the ending. I completely respect that you did too and I can see how it was satisfying for you, from an overall story perspective. Personally I don't like the idea of synthesis but if you do I'm not gonna bark at you lol.

For me it wasn't the sadness or inconsistencies that upset me, it was more the way it was all presented:

1. It felt like the catalyst was a cheap literary device in order to force a large final choice and death upon Shepard - like it was written in just for that purpose. It didn't feel organic to the plot to me

2. It was all over so damn fast - I just sat there going 'What? That's IT?' I expected more after the long, epic sequences in ME1 + 2

3. The choices - nothing was explained. WHY will it kill me? If I'm dead how do I control the Reapers? Am I dead or just a reaper? How does Synthesis work? Will we be more organic or synthetic? Why do I walk into the red explosion? All the questions felt at odds with the series's previous anal attention to detail.

4. The Stargazer + DLC ad. Ugh. Insulting

5. Destruction of the universe. The most upsetting thing by far for me was that the 3 choices are so vastly different it means there is no possible future for the Mass Effect universe as there is now no more canon, unless they pick one of the 3 as the 'real' end.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
I AM HERE WITH THE MEDICINE! STAND BACK GUYS!

Watch this video, it potentially makes the ending awesome, but that all depends on what Bioware does this summer.

Better? Good. Now wait for that DLC.

Calumon: The fans will always rebel against it's creators. : (
I see your medicine and raise you one alternate fan ending in progress:
http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/ (starts at comic 6)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
I AM HERE WITH THE MEDICINE! STAND BACK GUYS!

Watch this video, it potentially makes the ending awesome, but that all depends on what Bioware does this summer.

Better? Good. Now wait for that DLC.

Calumon: The fans will always rebel against it's creators. : (
Only problem with the indoctrination theory now is that Bioware is going to add that stuff at the end of the game "explaining" things and showing the after math. This could absolutely destroy it and leave us with an even larger steaming pile of crap.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
People's opinions are unlikely to have changed since a few months ago. The reactions will be less furious and more... crushed.

While no longer *angry* about it, it still makes me sad to think about it. I've not been able to bring myself to replay any of the games (and ME1 and 2 were my favourite games in the world) because it seems pointless with that ending. Also, there are some really sweet ME shirts I'd like to buy but I can't bring myself to hand over any more money to Bioware yet.

Bitter? Why yes, yes I am :p

Ho hum, we'll see if the DLC does anything to sweeten the deal.

LongDanzi

Nov 15, 2011
a better ending would be after you talk to the kid you get up, go over to your console, and Hit the power button. then you can make your own ending

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Irridium said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh, and just so you know, if you can push your EMS up to 5K, you can Paragon-pass that final persuasion check against The Illusive Man and make him blow his own brains out, Saren style.

My first playthrough I only had about 4700 or so and that was the only persuasion check that I couldn't make (despite having a full reputation bar), every other playthrough has been with 5K or more and I've always been able to do it, so I had assumed that's what it was.
I have to agree with Irridium as well, I was only at 3730 EMS (also got it as low as 3350) and got the opportunity to Paragon the Illusive Man to reenact Saren's "Ah fuck" moment.

It's only the "breath" scene you need anything over 5000 EMS for, unfortunately.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Justyn Stahll said:
So I just finished Mass Effect 3, if you don't know I posted a thread about 50% in detailing my thoughts up to that point. Now the next 49% is awesome with plot twists and fighting/Killing Kai Leng. I at the end had 4987 EMS (Effective Military Score) and everyone loved me. After Getting close the Citadel Laser thing and getting blasted, I wondered, "How did I survive that with minimal injury and magically getting a Pistol (I had a Sniper Rifle and a Assualt rifle, the magnificant Mattock)and..HOLY CRAP HUSKS". In the citadel I went and found Cpt Anderson, who was, also magically without injury (Is it just me or does any else think it's silly that Anderson, the guy who held this all together, rush the THE GIANT DOOM LASER!) and we both talk to the Illusive Man about how much he's indoctrinated, Paragoned my way through that except for the final one which I just said "Fuck it" and shot Illusive in the face.

Here's where it gets...silly. After doing all that, me and Anderson sat down and looked into the death filled space. Then Hackett's all like "Shit Sheperd fix everything we need you to fire the plot device!!!" and after taking the lift up and talking to the Kid or whatever the hell it is decide. or as the kid says , Blow us all up resulting in continued cycle, Enslave us making you all powerful but killing you, and be friends forever and ever in Synthesis...

what...
the...
fuck...

Chose Synthesis after deciding that I want friendship and happiness.
Then OH NO GIANT GREEN EXPLOSION RUN JOKER RU- wait you just crashed? Cool hope I get some ending dia-
NOPE and the game ends
I also got the Buzz Alderan ending thing.

Worst...Ending...in...Mass Effect

Words directly from Bioware to you, a person that did not enjoy their Superb ending because you hate Biowares artistic integrity, according to Bioware, Most Major Gaming sites and internet reviewers, you are a Whiny Entitled Homophobic Child. These are the labels that Bioware and Major Gaming sites have put on you for not liking the ending, they also believe that you didnt like the ending because it wasnt puppies, rainbows and icecream example shown here.

I am just passing this message along, i do not think that you or anyone that didnt enjoy the ending are any of these things, I am making this clear because it seems some of the mods have trouble understanding the concept of ironic statement, and hate short posts, therefore I am making a very long post explaning this, I am not insulting you, I am simply stating what Bioware and most gaming sites think of you for not liking the ending.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Irridium said:
RJ 17 said:

I'm told it's determined by your previous conversations with TIM. You have to give him either all-paragon or all-renegade options at each encounter to unlock the final persuasion options. I'm testing this on my current playthrough so I can't confirm from personal experience yet.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wereduck said:
RJ 17 said:
Irridium said:
RJ 17 said:

I'm told it's determined by your previous conversations with TIM. You have to give him either all-paragon or all-renegade options at each encounter to unlock the final persuasion options. I'm testing this on my current playthrough so I can't confirm from personal experience yet.
Naaah, that's not it either. I've played through the game about 7 times now and as I had originally said: the only time I haven't been able to do the final persuasion check was my first playthrough. My first playthrough was straight 100% paragon choices and it didn't give it to me, but my 2nd playthrough was straight 100% renegade choices and I did get it. Every one since then has been mix-and-match with choices, including the TIM conversations, and I've been able to make him blow his brains out every time since my first try.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
w9496 said:
Mass Effect 3 is a great game if you play it to live the journey, and not to reach a destination. The destination is a letdown for most people, but it's not so bad if you play for the adventure.
If I went on a fun hiking holiday with my fiends and at the end they all got mauled to death by bears, I'd be more likely to remember the bears part.
Wow. I wouldn't compare the ending to being mauled by bears, more like stepping in bear poo. The ending wasn't THAT bad.