So I just finished Saints Row IV

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Hi all, being from the UK I think I got Saint's Row IV a little bit after the US, but I got it on release day (which I very rarely do these days) and the credits are rolling as I type this and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

I have over 40 hours on my save file because I took the time to do all of the loyalty quests (and I may have left it running overnight once with the intention of letting the cache accumulate.)

so in a nutshell, I hardly ever get to talk about a game while it's still what some might consider topical, so what did you all make of Saint's Row IV? I myself am saddened but also glad in a way that this is the last one, I think you can tell that the designers went into this knowing there wouldn't be a follow up, I mean where the hell would they go with it?

also, are there actually multiple endings? I got the good one (I think) if there are because I did all the side quests.

so what was your experience like? any favorite moments or aspects? personally I thought Johnny Gat being recognized as "the most dangerous human in history" was a nice touch (the sidescroller thing was fun too)

the only let-downs were a few times the game glitched-out on me, and I would've liked the level of customization from SR2 back, but can't have everything I suppose

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The game glitched on me a few times but never anything super frustrating.

But generally I really liked it, the writing was better than ever, I laughed my ass off a few times and generally had a grand ol' time. I did all the marked Loyalty Missions but only a few of the Sidequests and got a "good ending" so... yeah... I don't know if there are multiple endings.

For me one of the big High Points was the whole "You've got the Touch" sequence, that was both awesome and hilarious. Hell, most of the final missions (starting with The Kinzie Gambit) kicked major ass, so generally I'd say Saints Row 4 was worth my money.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I thought Zynyak was a very poor antagonist. He never had the presence of Killbane from The Third or any of the villains from the second game.

The super-powers also kind of killed it for me. They were fun to start with but you don't get to experience the city as in previous games, you miss all the little comments and the weirdness such as being chased down by a gimp.

Romances were fun and a couple made me laugh out loud.

Also I didn't like how activities became almost mandatory, you had to do them in order to unlock weapons and upgrades. The Third was great as it made them optional.

Saints Row 4 is a good game but if I return to Stillwater/Steelport it is going to be in 2 or 3.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
There are three endings, sort of:
1. If you go through the red door instead of rescuing Matt, you get a bad ending, as well as an achievement.
2. If you complete the main quest without doing all side quests, you get a good ending
3. If you do all side quests and loyalty missions before the last story mission, you get a great ending.
Also, this may make any Aussies in the audience hate me, but my personal favorite mission was "Girls' Night Out". I was expecting the missions to be full of funny and awesome moments, but I wasn't expecting anything heartwarming, let alone solid character development. Coming in a very close second was "SR3 Wrap-Up", with the three that made me laugh the most being Pierce and Asha's rescues and Matt's loyalty mission.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
As much as people (not you, OP) love to complain about how much Saints Row 2 changed and what they lost in #3, blah blah, "Everything's too wacky now", I'm going to play Saints Row 2 just to get a better experience for the storyline in #4. Hell, I may even track down the first one for 360.

So is #4 really the end of the line for Saints Row? Sort of. [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/08/saints-row-4-considered-end-of-that-saga-future-games-to-go-in-different-direction/] Oh, and Saints Row 4 is kind of crash-tastic. It's definitely the buggiest game I've played in a while, but it's not as buggy as Fallout 3 or Skyrim on console.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
votemarvel said:
I thought Zynyak was a very poor antagonist. He never had the presence of Killbane from The Third or any of the villains from the second game.
Really? I thought Killbane was the least compelling villain in the series. I mean, Zinyak wasn't as hateable as Maero or Shogo, but he was way more interesting than Killbane.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
I absoloutly loved it. It's like a cross between Saint's Row, Psychonauts, Prototype and The Matrix. It's awesome.

Only issue is, oh dear GOD, when you get to higher completion percentages the graphical malfunctions are annoying as crap. I'm asking around to see if there's a way to disable them on Xbox without buggering my achievements by using the cheat for it.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
I loved the game. The only negative thing I really have to say about it is that the alien response escalates stupidly quick towards the end of the game.

Cops all but disappear from the game - a single one shows up after killing a pedestrian and killing him immediately escalates the situation to multiple murderbots spawning in from portals with CID back-up and then the warden showing up almost immediately after.

No more car chases, no extended sieges by enemy forces. It feels like the game thinks that engaging enemy forces is a waste of time and wants it to be over with as soon as possible or that the player should just super jump away and ignore the silly aliens that think they can stop the Boss.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Mysten said:
I loved the game. The only negative thing I really have to say about it is that the alien response escalates stupidly quick towards the end of the game.

Cops all but disappear from the game - a single one shows up after killing a pedestrian and killing him immediately escalates the situation to multiple murderbots spawning in from portals with CID back-up and then the warden showing up almost immediately after.

No more car chases, no extended sieges by enemy forces. It feels like the game thinks that engaging enemy forces is a waste of time and wants it to be over with as soon as possible or that the player should just super jump away and ignore the silly aliens that think they can stop the Boss.
I actually think that's meant to be the point. You're relatively unknown by the aliens at first so they think the game's algorythms can deal with you, but by the end of the game they realise you're a massive threat and throw everything they can at you.

Another reason I drew a paralell to Prototype.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I really enjoyed it myself. I actually spent the time tracking down all the collectibles I could and doing all the side missions. Zinyak was a fun villain for me, and overall it was good fun. Not to say it's without flaws, I mean, I had a few crashes, including some annoying ones towards the end of long missions necessitating starting all over.

I really wish it wasn't set in a virtual Steelport though. Setting it in virtual reality gave them an opportunity to do something really new and special, but it was just kind of a bland choice. Also not a huge fan of the constant digitalisations cropping up. Kinda spoiled the mood. That said, some highlights:

1 - Matt Miller's Loyalty mission - I really liked Matt in this. The excitement in his voice when Nyte Blade announced his arrival was so adorable I completely forgot he tried to kill me in the last game.

2 - The radio sing-along - Hearing Pierce and the Boss share that moment in the car was fun enough, but when Zinyak joined in with the Biz Markie song had me actually laughing.

3 - Roddy Piper - Having him show up out of no-where for Keith David's mission was funny enough, but at the end where Keith just looks into the distance and calmly says that Roddy shows up "where he's needed most", like a folk hero.

4 - Thundering down the Alien ship to Stan Bush - I love me some Stan Bush, and having The Touch blaring out while flying around in an Iron Man style suit was just wonderful

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
PC version

I really enjoyed it. At one point I thought to myself, "All this mini-game and collecting code stuff is getting boring", I then checked my completion rating and I was at 82%. That's pretty good for when play fatigue kicks in.

There were several bugs to deal with from time to time but they only required an application restart as opposed to a PC restart.

Since there not continuing the Saints' story, I imagine the cliffhanger ending will be dlc.

I felt that all clothing options that are available for random pedestrians should be available to buy... some are not available... Also, the selection felt limited and I'm not comparing it to SR2(Just started it yesterday). If the suits/outfits sections were broken down to separate pieces, that would really help.

I feel this game is really good but I know I'm missing part of the experience. SR4 is the first SR game I beat and there is quite a bit of context I'm missing. The biggest example of this is my opinion of Johnny Gat. As far as I know, he's heralded as the biggest badass around who couldn't make it passed the tutorial level of SR3... His character falls flat without experiencing the history with the main character.

I'm playing through the series now starting with SR2. I'm hoping I'll have a better appreciation for the characters once I'm done.

...Well, reading through what I just typed, I sound rather down on the game... Ahem, Saints Row 4 is so fucking awesome that I finished it in 4-6 sessions clocking about 30 hours! It could be better but works extremely well on it's own.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Mysten said:

I had the opposite problem, I wanted to test out my super jump nuke attack on as many concentrated enemies as possible but I maxed out the notoriety decay already by that point. Every time I got a bunch of aliens to gather, I would run up a building to get the height necessary for the nuke but by the time I was dashing at the ground my notoriety had already decreased almost completely meaning only basic troops would show up. I had to spend quite a bit of time with my infinite shot RPG to get my notoriety high enough so all the enemies wouldn't disappear by the time I came crashing down! It was glorious when it worked though.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I liked the story of 2 better to be honnest, loved how brutal Saint Row 2 could get... But i otherwise quite enjoyed Saint Row 4

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I liked it. A few dislikes here and there:

The hacking minigame. Now I didn't hate it persay, just didn't like that it was required to use the shops instead of a discount or notoriety kill. Which brings me to...

Notoriety kill. The only way to instant kill notoriety is to chase and kill a Golden CID. Not bad as there's always one nearby but I would have liked more options. This leaves either leaving the simulation or letting it cool in Saint controlled Hoods. I do like that it is easier for the bleed off to occur and when it's gone so are any threats. No lone cop or gang member still chasing you down causing it to pop up again.

I miss the cribs. I feel that the gateways weren't as nice, probably due to the cribs being impressive especially the upgraded strongholds.

The ambiance. Until you finish the game expect a yellow or blue tinge over things. When I went back in I changed it to classic to make it feel like Steelport again.

That said I still enjoyed it. It did feel like the Matrix but Neo being a sociopath (sorry, puckish rogue) instead of Superman. I did like the pop culture references in it as well with my personal fave being the protagonist talking to Zinyak during the freefall segment at the end.

It's the same one between Optimus Prime and Megatron in the Animated G1 Transformers Movie, just replace 'Autobot' with 'Saint' and 'Megatron' with 'Zinyak'.

Speaking of Zinyak, I really did like the end boss fight. On more than one occasion I was running around the arena going "ohshitohshitoshitoshit" As I was letting my health recover. Simple setup, but effective.

I do agree that Johnny being reintroduced was little more than a Cop-out for the fans, but I like the Gat character so I'll give it a pass. Kinsie's character change spooked me out a fair bit though.

As for the powers, eh a lot of the complaints boil down to "They exist so I 'have' to use them therefore it's useless to have anything else." I disagree. The idea of an open world game is that it gives you choices. Granted there was a big focus on the powers and areas where they were required but outside of those you were still free to you whatever you wanted. On more than one occasion I went with a VTOL because the glide mechanic is not true flight and it gives me a hand cramp (I have PC and use the keyboard for on foot stuff). I would give the overpowered label to some of the weapons instead. A fully upgraded Bounce Gun can clear a flashpoint in one shot.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
It's funny you should mention Saints Row 2 because now I want to play it after finishing Saints Row IV. SR4 gave me an appreciation for the characters that I didn't get from #3, but #3 is still probably my favorite so far.

*EDIT* Speaking of which, has anybody here played the first Saints Row on 360? I think it was an exclusive. Were they building up the story back then or were they simply having a laugh as the Brits would say?

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
I liked it, even if the sidequests go very, very, very repetitive. There was also zero incentive to keep playing after the credits had rolled.

I thought back to SR3, which I happily kept playing after beating it, and I think the "glitchy" on the world graphics irritated me so much after 20 hours of game time that I didn't want to go on.

Good game all the same though.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Best Superhero game ever. Not sure I'd say I'm enjoying this game more than I did the Third, but I am having a lot of fun and that's what matters most!