So i just found a good rap group.

templatetom

Jan 3, 2011
Don´t get me wrong i haven´t just gotten into rap. I have listened metal, punk and rock The group that i found is a group called cypress hill. I was just wondering is there any groups that are similar to them but not copies.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Cypress Hill has been around since the 90's man. But if your looking for good rap artist i'll recommend Twiztid and ICP.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
Cypress Hill was cool in the 90's, but I've grown out of them. Good rap groups that i like are Run DMC, and Beastie Boys.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
templatetom said:
Don´t get me wrong i haven´t just gotten into rap. I have listened metal, punk and rock The group that i found is a group called cypress hill. I was just wondering is there any groups that are similar to them but not copies.
They're hip-hop not rap.

You might like groups like Wu-Tang Clan, Jedi Mind Tricks among many others and also check out the guy Aesop Rock.

EDIT: Just for shits and giggles.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Jasper Jeffs said:
<youtube=5Rkf5H7J-S0>

<youtube=-SBzdl_nlFs>

<youtube=g__iDW904_k>

<youtube=s7RR86g_uCM>

<youtube=dytKmI-gLdM&hl>

<youtube=djG9g5hCOfU>

<youtube=H9mhfJfVWdY>

<youtube=MvVfDlopIs0>

<youtube=PkvWOAJeZmM>

<youtube=vyFxwLDy35E>

<youtube=aVTDyPYbJeI>

<youtube=MjlbCM-2t4c>

<youtube=jvy3x9_SauM>

<youtube=M72zVuBNpEA>

<youtube=7F4KiuvLo6Y>

<youtube=1JHbUuWzVNE>

<youtube=9VL0mB8ILeo>

<youtube=PNEkpc3WAaE>

<youtube=YywqSQ6-2Os>

<youtube=-nkSNiPVm9c>
Small portion of Hip Hop.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Cypress Hill has been around since the 90's man. But if your looking for good rap artist i'll recommend Twiztid and ICP.
You are joking, right?

I've a fan of Michael Franti and Spearhead. More positive and socially conscious rap than most.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I'd recommend Aesop Rock and Mac Lethal.
Both are pretty good non-mainstream artists.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Quality groups:
D12
Slaughterhouse
Blackstar
Cunninlynguists
Non Phixion
Beastie Boys
Bone Thugs N' Harmony
Compton's Most Wanted
A Tribe Called Quest
Dead Prez
G-Unit
Outkast
Mobb Deep
The Beatnuts
The Roots

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
templatetom said:
Unlike almost everybody else in this thread, instead of just responding with my personal taste, I'll instead respond with stuff that you have a reasonable chance of liking based on the information you've given.

If what you're listening to is the very early Cypress Hill (and I hope so), there's a good chance you'll also like Kid Frost's "Hispanic Causing Panic" album. That's the first thing I thought of, probably because both artists are from the same scene originally. Here's a vid of the most well-known song from that album:

Cypress also shared the same production brains as House Of Pain for a while (that being DJ Muggs) so you'll probably like them too, particularly their second album which has the most musical similarity to the beats being used in Cypress at that time:

And because Muggs is so central to the Cypress sound and he has a fairly consistent style, you'll probably also like anything else he turns himself to, like the Soul Assassins collaboration albums, and his work with GZA from Wu-Tang Clan:

If you want something newer, probably the most conceptually and sonically similar act currently active these days for my money would be La Coka Nostra:

(Yes that's Sen Dog on the last track)

And if you like that, you'll probably have a fair chance of liking the various artists in that group on their own, such as Ill Bill:

and maybe you'd like his brother Necro, too:

That'll do for now, tell me what in that list you like and hate and I can suggest more if you want.