So I just got a PS3, what games should I get?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Phoenixmgs said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Heavenly Sword
Heavenly Sword was so much better than GOW3. The game has a better battle system, the ending felt epic, and the game has heart.
Eh, I liked GOW3 more than Heavenly Sword.

Granted, I think the story, the voice acting, and characters were way better than GOW3, but the motion control parts were bullshit. Controlling the arrows with the PS3 controller was the most frustrating thing in the world. The game did have a soul though, and that is a plus over GOW3.

I liked the combat mechanics in GOW3 better than Heavenly Sword, and the boss battles were way better, in my opinion. The fighting was decent in HS, but I still enjoyed it.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Reed Spacer said:
Heavy Rain is crap; the entire game is essentially one huge quick time event.
What you mean to say is: "I didn't like Heavy Rain because it didn't have enough interactivity."

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Granted, I think the story, the voice acting, and characters were way better than GOW3, but the motion control parts were bullshit. Controlling the arrows with the PS3 controller was the most frustrating thing in the world. The game did have a soul though, and that is a plus over GOW3.

I liked the combat mechanics in GOW3 better than Heavenly Sword, and the boss battles were way better, in my opinion. The fighting was decent in HS, but I still enjoyed it.
You can use the analog sticks to control the arrows. It was probably a patch as I played the game a few years after release. I liked the combat of Heavy Sword because it makes you switch up your strategy against different enemies while in GOW, you can really just do the same thing against everyone.

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
A lot of retail shops carry the various God of War collections for extremely cheap! Heck, I think I even seen the God of War Saga (That is, all six games in the franchise) for 30-40 dollars. So if you're on a budget for suggestions, that would be my top one. And be sure to check out the Playstation Network's weekly sales, as well as their PS1 and PS2 classics. The sales don't really get to a steam-level of crazyness as far as discounts, but there's a ton of games you can download onto your PS3 that would cost a ton for their physical forms even if you still owned the systems to play them. The PS3 was my console of choice for last gen, and I'm sure you'll love it, too.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Phoenixmgs said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

You can use the analog sticks to control the arrows. It was probably a patch as I played the game a few years after release. I liked the combat of Heavy Sword because it makes you switch up your strategy against different enemies while in GOW, you can really just do the same thing against everyone.
It probably was patched after I last played it and I probably would have liked it more had I played it patching that bit out.

As for GOW3, well, it had great weapons that I thought were nice touches to the combat. Hades' weapon being a personal favorite of mine. There is some strategy involved in GOW3's combat, but not nearly enough for it to be note worthy. However, it was satisfying as hell to kill something. :D

I will grant you that the combat in HS had more strategy involved, so button mashing was a bit harder to pull off. Swinging the sword around was pretty awesome, and it did wreak shit up nicely.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Tokyo Jungle:
Weird, but fun.

Disgaea (series):
3rd is fine.
4th is better.
D2 is the best.

I'm going into this assuming 3 things:
1) You don't have a 360.
2) You don't have a decent PC.
3) You don't live outside of the US.

3D Dot Game Heroes

Batman: Arkham Asylum (GOTY Editon)

Batman: Arkham City (GOTY Editon)

BlazBlu (Whatever the latest one is)

Blur

Brutal Legend

Dark Kingdom

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Disgaea 4

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition

Folklore

Font Mission: Evolved

God of War: Collection

Heavy Rain

Killzone 2/3

ModNations: racers

(Ultimate) Mortal Kombat

Portal 2

Racket & Clank: A Crack In Time

Rayman Origins

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Katamari Forever

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Ico/SotC HD Collection

Sacred 2

TES5: Skyrim

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Valkyria Chronicles

Vanquish

WarHammer 40k: Space Marines

Yakuza 4

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
It probably was patched after I last played it and I probably would have liked it more had I played it patching that bit out.

As for GOW3, well, it had great weapons that I thought were nice touches to the combat. Hades' weapon being a personal favorite of mine. There is some strategy involved in GOW3's combat, but not nearly enough for it to be note worthy. However, it was satisfying as hell to kill something. :D

I will grant you that the combat in HS had more strategy involved, so button mashing was a bit harder to pull off. Swinging the sword around was pretty awesome, and it did wreak shit up nicely.
There was one fight I do remember from GOW3 that was really good. I think it was at the end of the cube level or something. I remember it having just a various amount of enemies spawning. Some enemies were best to deal with magic and then there were Medusas I think that would give you magic for killing them and then probably some other enemy type as well. I remember that battle really getting me in a rhythm in changing up things, going back and forth between enemies and such. That's the one fight I remember from GOW3.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Phoenixmgs said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

There was one fight I do remember from GOW3 that was really good. I think it was at the end of the cube level or something. I remember it having just a various amount of enemies spawning. Some enemies were best to deal with magic and then there were Medusas I think that would give you magic for killing them and then probably some other enemy type as well. I remember that battle really getting me in a rhythm in changing up things, going back and forth between enemies and such. That's the one fight I remember from GOW3.
I think I know which on you're talking about. That is a really good one, and one of my favorites from that game. The cube parts were the best part of the game since the whole thing is just one giant puzzle, and even the bits inside the cube were good. The battle with Hercules was pretty fun too. :D

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Disgaea 4 and Disgaea D2 are basically the only games I play on my PS3 anymore so I recommend those.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
It's a game about killing anime vampires by stripping off their clothes to expose them to the sunlight.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Mostly a JRPG player here, so pretty much everything I recommend will be one.
I'd say all of the Tales games on the PS3 are worth picking up, even Xillia 2, which a commenter above me went out of their way to suggest avoiding.
I'll say it with the caveat though, that if you don't like Xillia 1 much, or at all, then you probably really won't like Xillia 2. Xillia 2's enjoyment factor is based around being able to experience more of the Xillia world and cast, and there was at least 1 feature which I really can't defend as anything but a flaw, but I still enjoyed the game a lot, possibly even more than the first, and it definitely improved in some ways compared to the first as well. so if you play Xillia 1 and enjoyed the character, which you do need to do, since Xillia 2 won't bother really catching you up, and instead will just throw a giant text summary of the plot events of Xillia 1 off in some menu corner if you are so inclined to read it, and you want to see more of the world, then Xillia 2 will probably be a very enjoyable game, even with a few flaws here and there.
If you've played Persona 3+4, then I'd say it's worth picking up Persona 4 Arena 1 and 2.
The actual story in and of itself isn't necessarily the strongest persay, with the second's being kind of messy, but the character interactions and progression in and of itself is still enjoyable enough to play through, and the actual fighting portion of the game is pretty solid too, and enjoyable to play. It's not just a cheapo 2D cash-in, the fighting game is pretty well polished and something I go back to to play even after having finished the story a long time ago. Know that there is an option in the second game, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, to unlock the original game's plot, for like 10-15 dollars iirc, so you'd best save yourself the extra 10-15 it would have cost to buy both games separately and just get the second, and unlock the first's story mode.
I'd easily recommend the Disgaea games. I haven't played Disgaea D2 yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about it, and I've definitely enjoyed the hell out of 3 and 4, so it'll be a no brainer for me to pick up at some point in the future.

Other than that, I'd recommend the Kingdom Hearts HD Remixes if you are a fan of the series, and the Sonic Adventure series if you are a fan of those two games since they are available on PSN. I personally can't stand SA2, bar the improved Chao garden, but most people seem to prefer 2, so I'll still recommend it I guess, but you probably need to have your nostalgia goggle on to enjoy either of the games really.