So I just got acquainted with "The Boys" Amazon's adaption of a very "unique" Superhero Comic Book.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It's a bit scary at times, in a good way, but as always, having main loveable characters means a fair amount of tension is still lost over knowing how much danger they really can't be in unfortunately. Nowhere near MCU levels though. Was hoping for some weird tech from Black Noir though, instead of just sort of ninja stuff. But is just a V thing perhaps. Is Giancarlo just going to be playing Gus from now on in every high profile role then? He does it well, for sure... just hoping this isn't a knowing leap into typecast future.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's a bit scary at times, in a good way, but as always, having main loveable characters means a fair amount of tension is still lost over knowing how much danger they really can't be in unfortunately. Nowhere near MCU levels though. Was hoping for some weird tech from Black Noir though, instead of just sort of ninja stuff. But is just a V thing perhaps. Is Giancarlo just going to be playing Gus from now on in every high profile role then? He does it well, for sure... just hoping this isn't a knowing leap into typecast future.
He's just Gus now, with mayde some action scenes in the Mandolarian

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
He's just Gus now, with mayde some action scenes in the Mandolarian
Havent seen the maddlorian as the disney subscription got cut from recent budgets. He just needs to show his wild party side a bit more, that's all. Let that stoic hair down for once!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Havent seen the maddlorian as the disney subscription got cut from recent budgets. He just needs to show his wild party side a bit more, that's all. Let that stoic hair down for once!
He was always a wild card in Spike Lee movies (Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X). Nowadays he's a stuffy exec in everything. Okja, Breaking Bad, The Boys, The Mandalorian, Far Cry 6 by the looks of it...

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I was familiar with the Comic its based on, but never fully dove into what it really was, only a passing mention of it by Linkara in his Superman At Earth's End review.
Was it unique? I remember reading Marshal Law in the late 80s.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Is Giancarlo just going to be playing Gus from now on in every high profile role then? He does it well, for sure... just hoping this isn't a knowing leap into typecast future.
I'm sure eventually people will notice and start to cast him against type, and he'll become like Christopher Walken, Patrick Stewart, and Betty White.

OT: Yeah, The Boys is pretty great. The first season anyway. I'm still amazed that for how gory this show is, it managed to make the most horrifying scene (the airplane scene) completely bloodless.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
He was always a wild card in Spike Lee movies (Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X). Nowadays he's a stuffy exec in everything. Okja, Breaking Bad, The Boys, The Mandalorian, Far Cry 6 by the looks of it...
Ah cool, those have somehow passed me by so will have to give them a go now they're on the radar. Cheers.

I'm sure eventually people will notice and start to cast him against type, and he'll become like Christopher Walken, Patrick Stewart, and Betty White.

OT: Yeah, The Boys is pretty great. The first season anyway. I'm still amazed that for how gory this show is, it managed to make the most horrifying scene (the airplane scene) completely bloodless.
Hopefully just a phase and all that from people wanting to see more of, or producers banking upon people wanting to see more "Breaking bad stuff, but in other things!"

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I haven't read the comic book, before watching this. And i enjoyed it. Very much.

I know "what if superheroes, but evil" have probably been done to death, but since i'm not an avid capeshit comic reader, idgaf.
I'm gonna go with the obvious comparison here, since i consider both of these a satire on "superhero" genre - where Watchmen was subtle(for it's time) and visceral in its commentary, The Boys are crude and in-your-face, and that works. Atleast no one, who's not already a fascist apologist, will think of Homelander as a "misunderstood good guy".

The show balances comedy(baby laser) and tragedy(airplane!) surprisingly well, and i can't wait til Season 2 drops(entirely).

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
While I haven't actually watched the show outside of clips on Youtube, I have a question about Homelander: is he characterized as being evil because he can? Because I find that I like the idea of Homelander being so lazy and arrogant that he just comes across as evil instead of "I'm the strongest therefore I'm bad" that I feel the show gives off most of the time.
Ever see the Twilight Zone episode with Billy Mummy where he can make anything happen with a thought? Unbridled power to whom no one can ever say no. That kind of power would warp a person. Further, Homelander's up bringing is, to say the least, unconventional. Not healthy.
He is also like a rich person. Anyone being nice to him: is it because they want something?
He is all id, no ego. And he is lazy. It was posited that he is so often just laser eyeing his enemies as... it's easier than getting into a fist fight.
So, he is sort of Cartman from South Park with Superman's abilities.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
When I first read the Boys It did cross my mind that Homelander is pretty similar to Public Spirit. I guess both Pat Mills and Garth Ennis really dislike superheroes.
Garth Ennis legendarily doesn't like superheroes, with the possible exception of Superman - a sort of respect for the OG - but yeah, he's not a fan.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
When I first read the Boys It did cross my mind that Homelander is pretty similar to Public Spirit. I guess both Pat Mills and Garth Ennis really dislike superheroes.
I'm pretty sure Pat Mills will have helped develop Garth Ennis's career, as if I remember rightly Mills was editor of 2000AD when Ennis was starting out in comics there. And 2000AD has traditionally been very antihero-centric.

I wonder how 2000AD is doing these days. I started reading it about 1987/1988, kept up until the the mid-late 90s and eventually faded out somewhere early 2000s.