So I just got behind the wheel for the first time...

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Yep, I got behind the wheel for the first time ever, today. Needless to say, I was pretty damn nervous. But my instructor was really nice [small](even though I figured that the niceness was a little, shall we say, forced)[/small] and had me do pretty basic tasks, like just stopping and turning. Yes, it was only the easy stuff, but I was nervous, okay? Still, I think I did fairly well for my first time and I'm still going to take more lessons.

So, Escapists, I think you know where this thread is heading: What was your first time driving like? Were you nervous? Were you excited? Have you not driven yet and therefore feel left out of the thread? ... Oh, sorry about that. Well, then tell me how you how nervous/excited to drive.

Just talk about your experiences for your first time behind the wheel.

[small]*NOTE: I checked the search bar and there was a thread like this but it was about five months ago. I don't know what the proper etiquette is, but I decided to make the thread anyway. Sorry.*[/small]

anANGRYkangaroo

May 15, 2011
My first time driving was with my mom in a crowded city. She gave me the keys, and I drove us to a parking lot for me to practice, which was full, so I just drove around town more.
I even played a nice little joke, when we were going slow behind a car at a red light, I slammed on the breaks and yelled BANG. She didnt like that :p
Overall, I felt like a boss

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
First time I drove for the first time was when I was 12. I was going for about three seconds before I bumped into a parked car. Needless to say, my dad took over from there.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
My first time driving a real vehicle was driving my then-stepmom's father's son-in-law's (or something) truck around his backyard, supervised, when I was 9, give or take a couple years. I crushed a small plant but otherwise nothing happened.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I remember the days where I would get to drive in an empty parking lot, and the entire time was spent trying to run over the seagulls that for some reason liked to chill there. Never got one sadly. Just wait till you get upgraded to actual roads now that makes ya nervous especially when your dad tells you one day to drive him somewhere and bam your on the busiest street in the area and scared shitless because you had no time to mentally prepare yourself, or is that just me.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
I absolutely HATE driving, I'm trying to put off getting my license. had my permit for about a year and a half now. I'd rather ride my bike than drive. first time I drove, the instructor was so pissed off and old and cranky, everything I did was completely wrong, so he might have made me hate driving.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
First time I drove, I drove on the streets, and handled it like a seasoned pro. I honestly don't know how I did it, because the years leading up to that moment I had always thought driving would be a difficult task, that you needed insane amounts of practice to get the hang of, but it wasn't like that at all when I finally gave it a shot. I even drove on the freeway first time without a hitch.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
I love driving. Bought my own car (a 2000 Peugeot 206 XS 1.6) about a month ago, loving every minute of it.

I was a bit late getting my licence though. Here in the Netherlands the minimum age to start driving is 18, but I didn't get behind the weel until age 23. Had zero driving experience when I started, but I got the hang of it quite fast.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Once as a child I was put behind the wheels of a combine harvester.
Somehow I and my grandfather who was working the pedals survived that.

For anyone who doesn't know what a combine harvester is.

I'm nervously anticipating actually learning to drive soon.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
My first time driving was- no joke- in a public cemetary where my relatives are buried... I don't think mom had that much confidence in me... Although so far I'm the only one in my family who HASN'T had an accident... granted I've been driving for the shortest amount of time by far.

I was pretty cool about it, although the one thing I hated was shifting from park to drive ON A HILL (still do, actually), without going back or bolting forward- which doesn't seem like much an issue, but the first time I took the wheel was, of course, when the car was parked on a steep hill. In the cemetary.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I love driving. First time I drove I had a frikkin' blast. Of course I was nervous at first, but then I said to myself "If driving a car was difficult, there wouldn't be so many people that could drive!" And so my lack of trust in my fellow man motivated me to push forward.

I do still prefer driving a motorcycle though.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I was 14. I just got my learner's permit, so we went out into the country and I just drove around for a bit, and it went just fine, without me making any errors.

That reminds me: I should really get my full license soon...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
War Penguin said:
Congrats bud!

When I first drove I was really excited. The bulk of my childhood was spent fantasizing about driving. For a period of time I used to run around outside with a calculator as my speedometer, adding +1 = to go faster.

The first drive went without incident but I still love driving the same as I did 4 years ago. Best of luck with your driver education!!

tyranic nero

Jul 31, 2011
the first time i got behind the wheel i panicked and mashed what i thought was the brake to the floor. I was wrong it was the accelerator and yeah it was scary but you work through it and driving is the best the freedom it offers is the best

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I drove around some parking lots a couple times and picked it up instantly. Kept getting praised by the driver's ed teachers. One time, with one of the more friendly ones, she decided to go back to the building 15-20 minutes early because I was on one of my last sessions, but she didn't realize that it was actually the end of the session anyway. She said she was so relaxed that she didn't even know how long we'd been out.

And I still haven't been in an accident. And I just knocked on wood.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Interestingly, my first time driving ended up with me panicking (The car I was driving a van, which handled pretty like a large boat) and hitting a sign.

At this point though, its basically become a chore. It stopped being fun after about the fifth time out.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I love driving. All of you who don't like to drive, let me take you there.

My first time was normal. I had experiences with other motor vehicles so I wasn't nervous but I wasn't excited. It's just a relaxing activity for me to do and always has been.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Redlin5 said:
War Penguin said:
Congrats bud!

When I first drove I was really excited. The bulk of my childhood was spent fantasizing about driving. For a period of time I used to run around outside with a calculator as my speedometer, adding +1 = to go faster.

The first drive went without incident but I still love driving the same as I did 4 years ago. Best of luck with your driver education!!
Aw, why didn't I think of that when I was a kid? My childhood would have been much more awesome if I did!

And thanks, man! :D