So I just got behind the wheel for the first time...

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
I enjoy driving, but I hate twitchy people with me. "Aww, I didn't slow down 50 yards back from the car that put on their lights for a second...too bloody bad." My first experience was in the abandoned parking lot of a factory my mother used to work at. I hated it cuz everytime I went over a faded parking spot she was like "BAMMM! YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE, ENJOY YOUR TIME IN JAIL!"

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
First off, congrats. It's nice to have the added freedom that transportation offers.

My first time was pretty non-eventful; driver's ed in High School. Now, the first time attempting to drive a standard transmission in my friend's Pontiac Fiero, which is about two sizes too small for me, that was interesting ;)

Edit: My daughter's behind-the-wheel experiences on the other hand, make me fear for people's safety...

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I was nervous as hell first time I drove. My instructor put me straight on to a major road swarming with traffic, in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm with very strong winds and very poor visibility. It was pretty worrying, but after that the rest of my lessons seemed easy by comparison.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Er, does the time my uncle took me and my cousins out on the (frozen) lake one winter and let us drive count?

I was 13 and I was the only one who didn't make the engine stall - go me? - but my uncle had to help me shift gears; I'd press the clutch down and he'd shift them. I was also given the nickname "Leadfoot" which made me purposely drive 20km/h on my second turn in the hopes of getting another. I didn't.

Haven't driven a car since. I've had A LOT of driving dreams though.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Looking back, I was awful. I could barely maintain a straight line at 10mph at first.

When I shifted up into 3rd gear and got up to 30 I did it on the worst possible road, too. Huge. Fucking. Potholes. Not to mention a drain that stuck out in the middle of the damn road.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Pffft, I still can't drive. I regularly have nightmares about losing control of the car and uh... trying not to kill/destroy anything.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
well it's a funny story i was driving my then injured gf home i had never driven before and she owned an escalade.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
The first time I was driving so slowly that the instructor had to constantly remind me to speed up a little. It was just driving around a block a couple of times in a place where there was almost no other cars, but I was a bit nervous about the gears. It didn't take me too long to get used to switching gears, and after that, learning the actual driving part was easy.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
My first driving instructor was the most cynical, misanthropic person I ever met. I have no idea why he chose a career in teaching when he so obviously loathed working with people. The most accurate description I can think of is a mix between Dr Cox and an old guy that always complains about kids on his lawn.

He would scream every command. TAKE A LEFT HERE!! SLOW DOWN!! CHANGE GEARS!! DO IT NOW NOW NOW!! If I did anything wrong (which I of course did all the time, I was a newbie after all), he would go on a long and very loud tirade. So he screamed constantly at every mistake, but when I did something right, he would just sit there quiet, fuming. Like he was upset that he didn't get to berate me. I remember once when I didn't look carefully enough while driving past a crosswalk. He went berserk and constructed a scenario where I accidentally hit and killed a child, and then asked me what I would say to the parents at the funeral. It wasn't a rhetorical question mind you, he expected an answer. Then the biggest slap in the face: when the lesson was over, he told me I needed to relax more. MAYBE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO RELAX IF YOU WERE NOT THE MOST AGGRAVATING PERSON I EVER MET YOU F-

Anyway, I eventually got another instructor, and things went a lot smoother.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
My Mum taught me to drive. My first drive I got up to 70 and I felt like I was going to fly off the road. Once I had a few more lessons and got up to 100 it was nuts. Kilometres an hour that is.

purehatred89

Jul 27, 2011
My first driving lesson was my first time ever behind the wheel with no knowledge of the gears or the pedals. I managed to get the car up to 20mph in fourth gear *proud face*

I was damn nervous too, but mostly about steering. I felt like I wasn't really "attached" to the car as I did it. 9 months later, I passed my test on the second try.

Oh that reminds me, as much as it feels like it, when you stall the car THE WORLD HAS NOT GROUND TO A HALT. Take a deep breath and follow the procedure your instructor has given you. Nothing makes a stall worse than panicking, which usually results in subsequent stalls.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I drove for my first time with my dad he took me out to a empty parking lot went to get a drink n told me just to drive around n get a feel for it.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
my first time was good, all went well, did some lessons and passed my test

i wasnt really nervous, mainly because my instructor was good and i was just excited to be driving

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I've done my Theory here in the UK.

I've yet to do the practical. Curse you clutch and your stalling.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
First motorized vehicle experiences were a dirtbike, and a large go kart.

I learned then and there I have no interest, in any vehicle, that I am not centered within. my First and hopefully last - vehicle will be a Vespa GTS 300 Super.

http://www.hondasuzukioflynchburg.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=17262627&Brand=182&Type=1513&source=searchbar

TheTinyMan

May 6, 2010
When I first started to drive, I was petrified. The worst case scenario of a driving-related fuck-up is pretty severe, I figured.

My dad took me through a bunch of no-traffic residential neighborhoods near where we lived. He also helped me figure out how blind spots work, because I refused to believe that they existed until he stood in one and waved his arms around for me. :p

Incidentally, after you learn how to merge and how to not hit things, you're the safest driver you're going to be for a long time. After you become confident, you become overconfident - it happens to everyone. Don't forget that you have to be able to react to other drivers, and don't forget that if your attention wanes, the situation can change. These are things you're usually keenly aware of when you're first learning to drive, but that might slip a little after you've got some confidence.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
First time riding I stalled my bike quite a bit. A year later I learned my clutch was WAAAYYYY out of adjustment and a quickly fixed it. Though this lead to a few early stalls as instead of the friction point beinng almost entirely pulled in, it was a couple cms from fully let out. Quite the change.

Similar experiance when I learned my steering was quite off nuetral as well.