So I just got S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat...

CosmicZombie

Nov 12, 2010
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is popular in certain circles and it is very popular in russia so I don't see them stopping production of the franchise anytime soon if that is what you are worried about.

I also don't believe people should think that "There can only be one good Post-Apocalyptic Survival game" Because:
A) Both the Fallout series and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series have something to offer to the genre as a whole and both play to different atmospheres and tones (I have played many hours playing both and loved both of them).
B) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not post-apocalyptic, the zone is contained inside the post-soviet states.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I need to play Shadows of Chernobyl again. It was fun once I got a mod that eliminated that sickening swaying back and forth when you ran.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Personally, i never even made it to Call of Pripyat. I don't know if the mechanics changed significantly from Shadow of Chernobyl, but I made it maybe halfway through SoC before giving up out of boredom. The game seems like Fallout 3 if you were stuck at level 1 through the whole game.

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
I just bought this game too, so instead of making a new thread.

Any advice to someone new to the game? I have no idea what the hell I'm doing?

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
One of the better games i ever played. These games really got me in the mood. What i liked most about them was - they were hard. Even a pack of dogs could eat you for breakfast if you were not careful.

So glad that they never were released for consoles. I can only imagine bad things if they ever would.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
For one, the original Shadow of Chernobyl was a buggy mess when it was first released. Clear Sky in turn turned out to be a complete disaster full of bugs, performance problems and half-baked gameplay. It was first with Call of Pripyat that the STALKER series eventually got an installment that you could play straight out of the box without having to deal with a plethora of bugs and performance issues.

Apart from the bugs and poor performance, STALKER is an unforgiving game as some have said and its' marketing campaign can basically outside of eastern europe is best summed up with the word non-existant. In the end, STALKER is a hardcore game aiming for hardcore gamers and those who are looking for a bleak, post-apoc experience. No matter what gaming boards on the internet makes you believe, there aren't that many post-apoc fans out there.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
MisterShine said:
Judgement101 said:
and I have to wonder, why is this game not super popular? It seems like a near perfect Post-Apacolyptic RPG but it has been overshadowed by others (cough*Fallout 3*cough). Does anyone know why this game isn't as popular as it should be?
#1: It's Russian. (not American)
#2: It's rough. Not a lot of ammo, the game isn't all-action all-the-time, pretty easy to get yourself killed.
What does Russian have to do with it?

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Played the first one. Then my PC died, and now I only game on my PS3. With the exception of "I wanna be the guy" and HoN on my laptop.

Would be playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if it was on the ps3.. I hope the next one will be.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I did buy the first one on a Steam sale and fell in love with it. It's still absurd, but portrays the scenario a lot better than anything Bethesda could hobble together.

However, my machine struggled to run Shadow of Chernobyl so I never pursued the series further.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Judgement101 said:
and I have to wonder, why is this game not super popular? It seems like a near perfect Post-Apacolyptic RPG but it has been overshadowed by others (cough*Fallout 3*cough). Does anyone know why this game isn't as popular as it should be?
STALKER is very popular. It has its own sprawling book series and is getting its own TV show. It's a "cult" game here in the states but overseas it's pretty big.

http://kinostalker.com/?lang=en
Fuck yeah