So, I just had a run-in with police...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Pinkamena said:
R.Nevermore said:
I walk to work every day starting at 5am, when it's still dark. I get this crap all the time. They always say those exact words 'there's been allot of breakins in the area and I match the description of the suspect'. I'm pretty destinct... Big beard and long hair... Look like Ned Stark... I should stop breaking into houses.
Obviously the actor who play Ned Stark rob houses on his free time.
Well, he played Sharpe back in the day. And according to Sharpe lore, prior to joining the army, Sharpe was a fully trained house burgler, so...

Anyway, the only incident with the police I had was when I was a kid. About nine. I could never be bothered to change out my uniform after school, and I went up to the shop in the evening, and a police officer on the beat teased me saying I was dressed weird. Apparently he'd never seen a school uniform before.

I can generally talk my way out of most things, so nobody's ever really called police on my antics!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I got stopped outside my house as I came out to go to uni because I apparently looked like I had just been stealing from it.

Nice chap though, very well mannered.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
In Cape Town I got pulled over and told off for having 5 passengers aside from myself in a 5 seater car. He let me off with a warning, thank goodness! I couldn't help but wonder though - "All the crap that happens in this city - but at least you stopped the dangerous lunatic who overloaded his car with other non-criminals. You're my hero".

Oct 2, 2012
Oh boy do I have stories.

I always had cops harassing me because my mother was a junkie and occasional prostitute, my dad was a junkie, thief, drug dealer and violent man, my uncle was a drug dealer, my other uncle was a thief, junkie and had ties to the bloods and some hispanic gang.

One memorable time I was going to a friends house late at night (1am) cuz we both couldn't sleep and were gonna get some gaming and homework done. He meets me halfway to his house and we start going. We both have backpacks cuz I was bringing some games and my books and he was coming from another friends house with some games and books. A cop car pulls up next to us and flashes a bright ass light right in our faces and we hear "Freeze!"

We both stop and stare into the light like deer. Cop gets out, approaches us and starts asking us the usual "What are you doing out so late?" and "Whats in the bags?" and "Are you on any drugs tonight? You look like you're high."

The cop snatched my bag from off my back and brought it back to his car. Neither I nor my friend could see what he was doing because of the blinding light still in our faces.
But he comes back saying he found a knife and a little baggie of crack in it (all lies I assure you). He takes his gun and points it at us saying we better not resist arrest or even think about running. He cuffs us together and practically beats us into the back of his car. My friend is crying and I'm shaking with fear and anger (mostly fear at that point). About 20 minutes later he stops, gets out, lets us out and tells us that he better not see us ever again as he speeds off.

We were in a part of the city we had never been to before and we were terrified. We eventually got to his house after one attempted mugging and being chased by a few degenerates.

To this day cops make me uneasy and I don;t like them very much.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Two types of cop.
1) Generally nice blokes, polite and respectful.
2) Power hungry fuck knuckles who get of on inconveniencing others, accusing others, and throwing their weight around.

Thankfully there are more of the former than the latter.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I take a lot of late night walks and have been stopped a few times for it. My latest one was about 2 AM. My girlfriend and I were walking back from the mini mart and a cop rolled up and asked us to stop. He had mistaken the energy drink that she was drinking for a beer. We explained it was just an energy drink. He asked us for ID. Since I was carrying my pistol with me like I always do on my walk, I raised my hands and turned to show that it was on my hip. He thanked me for letting him know I had my gun on me and let me get my wallet out of my pocket. He checked my ID out and sent us on our way.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Truglington said:
Not to be mean, but where is 57% passing?
I wanted to ask the same thing.

In any case, I've only been confronted by the police twice. Once I was just walking with some friends when a cop pulled us over and told us there were some kids throwing water balloons and shit at cars, which we didn't know anything about so he left.
The other one came to my house and told us that somebody's iPhone had been stolen, and then he looked directly at me and said it's a very serious crime and somebody would get in a lot of trouble for lying to the police. He was very clearly accusing me of doing it, but since I didn't, there wasn't much anything to go on so he left.

Kirke

Apr 3, 2011
Alright, so I have had a run in with the police at one point. I'm not gonna get very specific, since me and my mates promised to never talk about it, but suffice to say that it involved a group of stupid teenagers, an airsoft rifle and a country that is very strict when it comes to guns. You can probably figure it out yourselves from that.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I've only been pulled up once to hear I had unpaid taxes on my car, from the previous owner, which should have been impossible.

Basically all the cops here are nice and pragmatic. Guards / Service Officers at events can be assholes though.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I've had a run away from the police, does that count? Nothing serious, honestly. I stole a wheel of cheese to feed my starving sister. I didn't really. The actual story does involve cheese though, lots of cheese.

I'm not even joking.

Somebody I was with at the time had his run-away turn into a run-in. After they questioned him, he thought it would be a good idea to own up to a bunch of other minor crimes they had no evidence about... Genius.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Truglington said:
Not to be mean, but where is 57% passing?
The UK, i think 40% is just about a pass here, then grades go up in 10% increments so an A is 70. Trust me when I say that those A's are bloody hard to get though, when I was at uni all my papers but one were B's and and A. Except that one D where I really wasn't sure just what the hell I was supposed to do and I swear the examiner just took off 50% because I made one grammar error or some shit.

OT: A friend and I were questioned over burglary at 3am when we were hammered and stoned and such. Neither of us matched the description and we both mustve reeked of vodka and weed. They searched us, found nothing, and thus could do nothing.

Because smelling of weed is perfectly legal :p

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
dudehead said:
Alright, I was really high one night and decided it would be a fantastic idea to walk through the neighborhood in my underwear playing Front Bottoms' songs on guitar.

So I'm walking, and I see a car- unmistakably a police SUV- coming at me and start panicking about what to do. I don't miss a note, by the way. Anyway, I came up with the plan of singing and playing louder and with more emotion so that if he heard he would not doubt that I was doing exactly what I looked like I was doing, and not that maybe me playing guitar in my underwear was to cover something else up (I was really high)

So my heart's pounding but he just drives by and I sigh with relief and then SQUUEAAK he slams on the brakes and puts it in reverse and pulls up next to me and rolls down his window. I can't tell if my balls retracted into my body because of the cold or because of fright.

Me: "Hello"
Him: "We've heard there's kids havin a party makin' trouble in the neighborhood. You seen any?"
Me: "Nope"
Him: "Alright then."

And he drove away.
This just cracked me up. Quoted in full for posterific posterity.

Yeah, I got stopped repeatedly. Thing is, wearing sunglasses at night in a leather coat and a trusty Samsonite with a ton of paper and books and stuff in it will always look... interesting. Can't really blame them. The exchange was friendly and pleasant, even though I was swarmed by five of them once, surrounding me up until the one officer in the car checked my ID and told his buddies I was cool. It was cool. I just looked out of place, as I happen to do every once in a while.

OP: I have trouble imagining what a black and white coat looks like. Pictures or crap Windows paint drawing hereby requested.

I also don't see how 57% lets you pass a test, any test. 57% is not passing, it's scraping the bottom, from beneath the bottom. I would also ridicule or taunt you, since you yourself seem to be a bit too lenient about it. With a 57% score, you're not eager enough to ever be amongst the 1%, and even for the 99%, 57% is not quite enough. It qualifies as being metabolically active, carrying a primed and somewhat ready brain, but that's just a bit above talking, walking and breathing at the same time. You might want to check your attitude on this.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I had a cop pull me over because apparently a person with the same name as me had a warrent out for their arrest. The cop pulled me over, asked for my id, registration and all that. He apparently did not check my age on his computer, as the guy he was looking for was almost twice my age. We had a little laugh and he let me on my way. My friend next to me looked and behaved like he was having a heart attack though; it was quite funny.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Yeah, twice.

First time, I was driving home late at night and was pulled over because "there's a lot of car theft going on at this time in the morning, and we'd like to run your details through our database". Fair enough, I said. I gave my details and there was an embarrassed couple of minutes until the police officer established that the database was down and therefore there was nothing he could do but let me go on my way.

The second time, some curtain-twitching jobsworth asked a community support officer to stop me and a friend, because we had been "walking in a suspicious manner" (to a local pub), and compounded by the fact that I was Wearing A Leather Jacket (shock!) and my friend Looked Middle Eastern (horror!). The PCSO (I think that's the right acronym) was a very pleasant and professional little Irish woman who clearly thought the tip-off was bullshit and ascertained within the first 5 minutes that we were completely innocuous, but unfortunately still had to go through 40 minutes of back-and-forth questioning and looking things up on the police database over the radio for the sake of propriety and bureaucracy. I don't begrudge her at all, but I sincerely hope that whatever no-life, paranoid dinosaur blew the whistle on us managed to subsequently fall down the stairs and shuffle the mortal coil.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
uzo said:
Once when I was drunk at university I was walking around on the golf course (my uni had a golf course).

Anyway, this nice taxi pulled over and offered me a lift home. I said I didn't have any money and the nice taxi men said 'that's ok mate, just tell us where you live.' So I told em. And the nice taxi men drove me home. I told them about my neighbour who was also a taxi driver. What a small world eh! Three taxi drivers in one town ! Wow!

Seemed funny that they had wire in the back of the car ... and when we stopped I couldn't find the door handle ... and one of the nice taxi men had to open the door for me ... and that there were 2 of the ....

And the next morning I was rather rudely awoken by my girlfriend demanding to know why I was brought home by the police.

The moral of the story is that the vast majority of cops are just doing a job, and the vast majority of that job is looking after the rest of us, because the vast majority of us are too damned stupid to look after ourselves.
That's funny. Over in Minnesota you'd have gotten a ride to the station for being drunk in public. Most cops around here respond to crimes they witness instead of actively working to prevent them. You can't fine anyone if you prevent a crime from ever occurring.

Anyways I've had only 2 run ins with the cops being that I'm a white middle class male. One was for running a stop sigh (which yeah I messed up) and the other time I got tailgated by a cop during a terrible snow storm in a 2 wheel drive car. I ended up going in the ditch and he come strutting out. Same guy who stopped me for running a stop sign. He was good at being condescending and unpleasant.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Police down here in Australia tend to be good blokes, just doing their jobs but a massive shit tonne of people complain about them because they're ingrateful fuck nuggets(the whole thing about them not being very present is true though, and the QLD government thought it would be a genius idea to make budget cuts that would include over 100 jobs of mostly senior officers).

My run ins are pretty much always with border police and customs officers at country borders and airports respectively. When I took a plane to Melbourne I was searched for explosive residue or anything else that could be a possible ingredient in explosives because I looked suspicious. This happened on the way there and the way back, the ironic thing is that i'm the short tanned guy who's always frowning and one of the guys I was with was a 6' dark skinned person with a seedy moustache and affro. Customs officers always stop me no matter which country I fly to because I look like I don't belong in any actual ethnicity, I once got my passport checked by 3 different people all about 5 metres away from eachother at the baggage collection coming back to Australia, it was quite funny when they all saw that I was Australian born and raised. They're always nice people about it though.