So, I just played Morrowind after beating Oblivion; and...

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
UrbanRush said:
I'm probably overly spoiled with all the lovely graphics today, but when I first played Morrowind after playing through Oblivion, the first thing that bothered me was that the graphics are a poor representation of where the beasty actually is.

My dagger /clipped/ through the head of the first crab I encountered and I /still/ didn't hit it. Worthy of fear, yes.

I still can't survive the path with all the cliff racers. /noob.
This happened not because of a clipping issue, but because your short blade skill was too low. In morrowind, chance to hit is determined by a behind-the-scenes dice roll. If your skill low, the end result will most likely be a miss regardless of whether or not your reticule was on the enemy. just fyi.

i'll just go ahead and throw in my opinion MORROWIND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OBLIVIUN ROFLWAFFLE

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Wayneguard said:
UrbanRush said:
I'm probably overly spoiled with all the lovely graphics today, but when I first played Morrowind after playing through Oblivion, the first thing that bothered me was that the graphics are a poor representation of where the beasty actually is.

My dagger /clipped/ through the head of the first crab I encountered and I /still/ didn't hit it. Worthy of fear, yes.

I still can't survive the path with all the cliff racers. /noob.
This happened not because of a clipping issue, but because your short blade skill was too low. In morrowind, chance to hit is determined by a behind-the-scenes dice roll. If your skill low, the end result will most likely be a miss regardless of whether or not your reticule was on the enemy. just fyi.

i'll just go ahead and throw in my opinion MORROWIND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OBLIVIUN ROFLWAFFLE
Agreed. As much flak as Morrowind's combat system takes, it still is better. You get to see your skill improve as you get stronger with your weapon because you will get closer and closer to a 100% hit rate. Oblivion had you spam the attack button, and you always hit. Visually, it looks better, but it's completely shallow once you fight a few hundred monsters. I think there would have been about 90% less complaints if they just added a false-clang sound when you land a non-damaging hit. That way it will still feel like you are fighting and hitting your target, but the damage will only be dealt when the dice says so.

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
You are right! Seeing a hit and not getting a hit is a *****. They should have at least given you a bang noise for your effort. Like hitting the crab on the shell with no damage.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daveman said:
I just think EVERYTHING looks prettier in Oblivion. Call me a graphics whore but that's one of the main reasons I love it, just the natural world, free for me to explore.

Also I'm with you on those centipede thingys, they're a *****. This is why I went with spear specializing. They ain't getting near me.
I think we can all agree that Morrowind glass armor > Oblivion glass armor at least.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
WaysideMaze said:
Oblivion looks a lot prettier, and animates much nicer than Morrowind, but Cyrodiil wasn't half as interesting.

From the Telvanni mushroom villages to the Redoran crab towns, it just had so much more charm.

Cyrodiil consisted of 9 towns on one road. I may be wrong on the number of towns, but everything took place on what felt like the only road.

There was one huge improvement [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O21E_Vj1JbI] on Oblivion over Morrowind though...
hahahahaha that video was great. I laughed pretty hard :p
can't say I'll miss those fuckers (unlike this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwdAGPrqIRU&feature=related )

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Doctor VonSexMachine said:
So, you are telling me to play Morrowind first? ;)
Hard to answer that one without knowing what you will like more. I found Oblivion to be a damn good game, but it was flat out LAME compared to Morrowind for me. Others hated Morrowind and loved Oblivion. I think it would make sense to start with the game you find less fun and then upgrade to the one that is more fun. That way you can have fun with the first of the games without the expectations of the first, and then get an even better experience with the second.

I guess it boils down to whether you like hard-core RPGs or a FPS/RPG. If you are a fan of FPS games, the graphics of Oblivion and the simple gameplay will be quite attractive. If you like RPGs, then Morrowind will be the better choice for the deep game world and far more complex skill system. And by complex, I mean there is more skills to work on while reducing their effectiveness at early levels.

Oblivion did a cool thing where every 25 levels, you get a special perk. That kinda ended up breaking the game by giving you things like paralyzing your targets with your arrows, or making potions with 1 ingredient instead of 2 or more. Morrowind just let you become god-like just by playing the game normally, and making enchanted items. The enchantment system was so overly simplified in Oblivion that it basically doesn't exist.

Lastly, they made leveling a ***** in Oblivion. See, while you play, each skill you level up pertains to an attribute (Str, Int, Spd) and the more you level skills based on an attribute, the more of a bonus you can apply to that attribute when you actually gain enough main skill levels to level up your character. In Morrowind, you could keep leveling your skills after it tells you to rest to level up and it would count for that level. In Oblivion, if you level your main skills too fast, then any skills you level up after the notice applies to your NEXT level, not your current one. It makes me wonder why they even have you rest to level up because as far as the game is concerned, you are done making yourself stronger for that level.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I always preferred Oblivion - I love RPGs and I don't mind the combat in a game like KotOR (in fact I always really liked KotOR's combat), where the combat is rolling off of numbers all the time, but then I'm not actually hitting them. I'm pausing, stacking attacks and letting loose.

In Morrowind it's incredibly jarring and frustrating when you hit something and do no damage.

Other problems I remember include the world being huge but the map being awful, and with very vague directions given from quests.

I liked it, I just liked Oblivion so much more.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I
Woodsey said:
I always preferred Oblivion - I love RPGs and I don't mind the combat in a game like KotOR (in fact I always really liked KotOR's combat), where the combat is rolling off of numbers all the time, but then I'm not actually hitting them. I'm pausing, stacking attacks and letting loose.

In Morrowind it's incredibly jarring and frustrating when you hit something and do no damage.

Other problems I remember include the world being huge but the map being awful, and with very vague directions given from quests.

I liked it, I just liked Oblivion so much more.
Me too, I found Morrowind such a drag with its slow walking speed and endless fucking cliff racer attacks.

EDIT: oh, and the godawful combat...

The architecture was far more interesting in Morrowind though.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Morrowind feels like a medival fantasy...on an alien planet. Thats one thing I loved! It was not goblins and ogres and rural england, it was swampy, and ashy and dark, with Nix Hounds, Koguti, Guar, and Ogrim!

And I should point out, playing Oblivion first spoils you. People who say the grahpics are bad annoy me the most. OLD GAMES LOOK OLD. They were cutting edge in their day before all grpahics were equally amazing but still people say this is better than that. I really hope they take all that was good in Morrowind and put it in TESV. I dont want to go through all this stuff again.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
I would say the atmosphere in morrowind overall has a darker feel to it and since the world doesn't lvl up with you, the game is overall harder. It forces you to figure out which places are safe and which aren't and you kind of got to determine for yourself if your prepared enough to enter the tougher areas. I kind of like it that way; it's a bit of a challenge, but it's not annoying.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Daveman said:
I just think EVERYTHING looks prettier in Oblivion.
The city and world design is pretty bland and generic in Oblivion compared to Morrowind.
Megan Fox is bland and generic but I'd still rather sleep with her than somebody who is stroked out down one side of their face, no matter how interesting and unconventional they look.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Fappy said:
Daveman said:
I just think EVERYTHING looks prettier in Oblivion. Call me a graphics whore but that's one of the main reasons I love it, just the natural world, free for me to explore.

Also I'm with you on those centipede thingys, they're a *****. This is why I went with spear specializing. They ain't getting near me.
I think we can all agree that Morrowind glass armor > Oblivion glass armor at least.
I will concede to you that but only because in Oblivion you look radioactive.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Agree on the mudcrabs!
TesIII was amazing TesIV was good.
but if I play TesIII now I would probably stop playing very soon

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
Wait until Deadra try to backstab you with two-handed katanas.

Oblivion never sacred me, since I knew I could beat any monster easily.
Difficulty scaling is a joke (even though i turned it all the way up).

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Why do people always use the fact that oblivion looks better as an excuse to say it's better than morrowind?

It was made in 2002!

While I'm on the subject:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Daveman said:
Megan Fox is bland and generic but I'd still rather sleep with her than somebody who is stroked out down one side of their face, no matter how interesting and unconventional they look.
Uhm. Good for you, I guess.