So, I passed out during Prometheus today. . . [SPOILERS TOO]

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Yeah, pretty much as the title says, out of seemingly nowhere I passed out whilst watching Prometheus at the movies with my girlfriend today.

During the surgery scene, where the main character, Elizabeth Shaw, gets an alien embryo cut out of her whilst still awake and stapled back up, I was covering my girlfriend's eyes, since she doesn't like that sort of stuff. I last thing I remember was watching her being stapled back together whilst the alien squid-thing lashed around in the tight auto-surgery chamber. What it felt like next was a heap of commercials playing in my head and flashes of many different things from memory. As I came to, I awoke with tingling arms and legs and blurry vision, as my girlfriend was yelling at me and almost crying and on the screen there was what I think was a bunch of guys shooting guns.
Anyway, according to her, I lolled my head back with my eyes open and my tongue hanging out for nearly five minutes, whilst she told me to stop it, eventually freaking out and yelling at me and hitting me to try and wake me up.

So guys and gals, what are your thoughts? has this ever happened to you or someone you know? Me personally, I'm still pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I knew I was bad at surgery and such, but I didn't ever imagine it could have this effect on me.

Inb4 "lol man up you pussy."

EDIT: 'Kay guys, so after speaking with my mum and my brother I decided to see my GP today. A lengthy session with her brought her to the conclusion that is was an incredibly isolated instance of a reflexive epileptic fit.
This was basically brought about by the fact that I had not really eaten or drank anything in the past 24 hours (as I'm going through one of those phases where you just don't feel hungry), I hadn't slept particularly well and the fact that I was really not mentally equipped to experience that scene in the state I was in.
So yeah, my GP has assured me that this is one of those things that could have happened to anyone under the same circumstances and even then, it's like a one-in-a-thousand chance of it happening. Hilariously enough she likened it to someone hitting a bullet mid-flight with another bullet. It can happen, but it's just a really specific set of circumstances in which it would happen.

TL;DR: There's nothing wrong with me, turns out it was essentially self-inflicted. Y'know, because I'm a fool.

Again, thanks to everyone who's commented and offered advice. It is honestly touching to think that people can care enough to comment on a situation that has literally no bearing on them in any way. :)
And by all means, don't stop arguing over Prometheus. As I had to walk out of the theatre I didn't see the last 20 minutes, so it's all thoroughly riveting for me. :D

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
I'll admit, that scene was pretty wicked. If you're squeamish, I can see where you could have passed out during that sequence.

If you're not squeamish, I guess you could pass it off as "shit happens." Maybe something about that particular scene got to you, or maybe your body decided to have a reaction at that particular time, as opposed to some other time. Who knows?

I'd just go on the record as saying the gruesome nature of the scene made ya pass out. It's not unheard of.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
This kind of happened to me whilst watching the new Friday the 13th made by Rob Zombie way back when. I didn't pass out, but everything went dark, my ears started ringing and I got really sweaty for about 5 minutes. It wasn't even a particularly gory scene. It was like when you get a head rush from standing up really fast but multiplied by a thousand!

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
lolmanupyouwuss

=P

Back when i was in the scouts we had to do a morning rollcall/march thing. Many of us will turn up with no brekkie coz well, it was real early and we wanted to sleep in.

So one morning during the flag raising ritual, this kid beside me started swaying and toppled over backwards.

Caught the bugger in time though, so he didnt crack his skull on the concrete.

Ed: I honestly dont know anyone who had an adverse reaction to a movie.... shrug

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It's never happened to me but my best friend's dad passes out at the sight of blood, but only in real life. It doesn't happen when he sees it in movies. I believe it's reflexive and doesn't actually have much to do with how sensitive you are.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
It's never happened to me but I think there's always a possibility. I'm a bit squeamish about this stuff.

During the premiere of Falling Skies on TNT, there was this scene where this lady had to rip this thing out of this dude's eye. He was screaming and his legs were flailing. I watched it with no issues but afterwards? I couldn't seem to stop shuddering from the inside out.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I went dizzy when I watched The Human Centipede 2 a while ago. I've always been okay with gore and stuff, so I figured it wouldn't bother me.

It did. It bothered me a lot. D:

So don't fret too much about it. If you are worried, you could always go to your doctor and ask, but that's if it's really bothering you.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Instant K4rma said:
I'll admit, that scene was pretty wicked. If you're squeamish, I can see where you could have passed out during that sequence.

If you're not squeamish, I guess you could pass it off as "shit happens." Maybe something about that particular scene got to you, or maybe your body decided to have a reaction at that particular time, as opposed to some other time. Who knows?

I'd just go on the record as saying the gruesome nature of the scene made ya pass out. It's not unheard of.
Yeah that's the thing, I'm just not the squeamish type. I've watched some of the worst-of-the-worst movies, gore-wise, but something about it just made me sick. It think it's as another person on this thread was saying, how it could have been a reflexive thing, like how some people are with blood. I've got a similar thing with surgery shows on tv, but I didn't think I'd be affected by cgi.

Hah! I guess that's the highest praise this movie could get in terms of presentation. When it's so realistic-looking that it'd make a guy pass out.

Oh god I also just remembered the part where the embryotic-sack of the alien split open and fell back into the wound. I reckon that must have done it, after that I remember the staples going into her and that's it.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
That scene was awesome. If you're squeamish I could understand the reaction. It's a person watching a machine perform major surgery on them while awake and only enough anesthetic to maybe dull the pain a bit and not pass out. But me, completely desensitized. I've seen worse on the news, watching Syrian rebels get shelled from all sides as they try to retake major cities.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Luftwaffles said:
So one morning during the flag raising ritual, this kid beside me started swaying and toppled over backwards.

Caught the bugger in time though, so he didnt crack his skull on the concrete.
Ha! I had that happen in my platoon during Basic earlier this year, except for some reason three of the guys got knocked out at the exact same time.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I had similar surgury earlier this year (REALLY nasty case of exploded appendix), so needless to say I found this scene more distressing than most...

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
captaincabbage said:
As I came to, I awoke with tingling arms and legs and blurry vision, as my girlfriend was yelling at me and almost crying and on the screen there was what I think was a bunch of guys shooting guns.
Anyway, according to her, I lolled my head back with my eyes open and my tongue hanging out for nearly five minutes, whilst she told me to stop it, eventually freaking out and yelling at me and hitting me to try and wake me up.
That...that doesn't sound like passing out. I think you might want to see a doctor, because I'm not a doctor myself, but that sounds like a low-grade seizure to me, especially with the open eyes and protruding tongue.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Last time I got in a fight with my brother...

I threw a headbutt that achieved knocking us both unconscious for about a half hour each... good thing I was the first one up... cut my head open and left a hell of a bruise on his...<.<

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I nearly passed out during a scene in Pan's Labyrinth where the Nazi dude has to stitch his mouth up. But otherwise, no.

Also, that scene in Prometheus wasn't as bad as I expected. All the tension was killed when she jumped up from the table - stitches in and everything - and just started running away. Like, everything's fine. I wanted to yell at the screen. PRETTY SPRY FOR HAVING A BUNCH OF STAPLES IN YOUR GODDAMN ABDOMEN!! Kinda takes the squick out of squick when it's also horribly lazily written.

Oh! I might have fainted during The Human Centipede 2. Mostly cos of the mid-film tonal shift where it went from hilarious comedy with cheap fake corpses and awkward camera cuts, to horrible makeshift surgery instructional. I couldn't finish watching it. I thought the first one was blissfully hilarious, and I was expecting the second to follow suit. I guess I was taken aback by it more than actually squicked out.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Er, well that scene really annoyed me. I was sitting there going hasn't ANYONE involved with the production in this movie any notion at all at what abdominal surgery is? PROTIP: It's not like that scene.

I especially love how she starts running around the ship and the planet for the next hour with the power of pain pills...ala Max Payne. Instead of you know, rolling around groaning in a ball on the ground begging for a morphine drip. After abdominal surgery. That would have left her uterus a bleeding rag of flesh.

The movie was pretty fucking stupid, but that scene shattered any semblance of immersion it had managed in the amazing opening minutes.

OH btw: SEE A FUCKING DOCTOR YOU TWIT. YOU COULD BE DYING.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
captaincabbage said:
As I came to, I awoke with tingling arms and legs and blurry vision, as my girlfriend was yelling at me and almost crying and on the screen there was what I think was a bunch of guys shooting guns.
Dude, see a doctor.

Sorry if I sound like a smart arse, but like Buzz Killington said - that sounds like a mild seizure of some kind.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I lost two teeth in one night when I was little. Could barely walk. Got up to do something, next thing I know I'm lying on the floor, front teeth smashed to pieces and screaming and crying (I was 12).

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Get checked for epilepsy sounds like a small epileptic fit. One of my friends is epileptic and gets those symptoms also were you shaking at all? kinda like a fish outta water but not as violent.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm a hardened horror nerd, so no.

I was going to tell you to see a doctor, but it seems from other, "normal" people's posts that this isn't that uncommon. I'd still advise it, though, especially if it happens again.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Gore bothers me a fair bit, if I see it coming I know to look elsewhere or play out the scene comically in my brain.