So, I passed out during Prometheus today. . . [SPOILERS TOO]

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
sheah1 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I nearly passed out when I saw such a massive spoiler in the OP without any warning or spoiler box.
It....... It's in the title.... And it's been in the title since long before your post....
My bad. Still might wanna spoiler box it though ;)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Anyway, according to her, I lolled my head back with my eyes open and my tongue hanging out for nearly five minutes, whilst she told me to stop it, eventually freaking out and yelling at me and hitting me to try and wake me up.
Sounds more like you had a mild epileptic fit dude, you should really go to a doctors and get some checks done just to be sure.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
I nearly passed out when I saw such a massive spoiler in the OP without any warning or spoiler box.
That's OK, the scene doesn't actually have any bearing on the plot and everyone pretty much forgets it ever happened immediately afterwards, all the way until the very end.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I had the same as this about 7 years ago... only happened once! I remember the flash memories though, and a kind of panic feeling which subsided rapidly into a tranquil calm feeling before I dropped...

I also remember feeling very, very comfortable in the last moments... it was bliss!

But I had passed out, and the bit before and after sucked, so it wasn't all good!

I have an adreniline induced heart murmor, about 1 in 10 do, which means my heart skips a beat when I have an adrenaline boost... in particular when sudden changes occur, or when worn out or in times in high stress levels... that might have caused it for me before, and my brain shutting down to preserve itself... I don't know... maybe that's what happened to you too!

I didn't get checked out though, and I have been fine since!

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Wow really? That's really interesting. I've never had anything like that happen to me. Most I've gotten is being really uncomfortable watching the Needle Pit scene from Saw 2. But then, I do watch a LOT of horrors. One day I might find something that makes me freak out, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe I should watch the Human Centipedes like everyone says.... hmmm....

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
That's kind of hilarious if the film was the cause but...

Like whathisface said, see a doctor, correlation =/= causation. Random black-outs can be a really goddamn bad sign.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
captaincabbage said:
So guys and gals, what are your thoughts? has this ever happened to you or someone you know? Me personally, I'm still pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I knew I was bad at surgery and such, but I didn't ever imagine it could have this effect on me.

Inb4 "lol man up you pussy."
This exact same thing used to happen to me whenever I saw anything gory, nothing to worry about really - it still happens when I give blood actually. Great way to keep the blood nurses on their toes btw :D

You don't have to actually be squeamish about gore for it to happen either. My girlfriend is just about the least squeamish person I've ever met (she does volunteer work as a medic assistant, go figure), and is normally the one taking the piss out of me for wincing at gruesome stuff in films.

Anyway, she fainted out of the blue during the amputation scene in 127 Hours.
We'd seen it before and she was fine the first time round, so I think it can happen if it catches you unawares or you think about it too much or something

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Wow, you must have a weaker stomach than most. That was baby stuff. The eye worm scene was rather nasty though.

Or perhaps you have photosensitive epilepsy. Get yourself checked out.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Fasckira said:
captaincabbage said:
Anyway, according to her, I lolled my head back with my eyes open and my tongue hanging out for nearly five minutes, whilst she told me to stop it, eventually freaking out and yelling at me and hitting me to try and wake me up.
Sounds more like you had a mild epileptic fit dude, you should really go to a doctors and get some checks done just to be sure.
This. My ex passed out in hospital with me when they were talking about putting an epidural in my spine, turns out a mild form of epilipsy i highly advise you get checked out bro.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Eh, I thought the scene was hilarious, especially how she just kind of walked it off afterwards and no one ever asked her what happened

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
See a Doctor because that isn't a normal human reacton.
It sounds like you may of had a seisure, and given the flashing lights, and rapid movement, that scene could give you one.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Clearing the Eye said:
Kids nowadays, with their weak stomachs and their skateboards on the sidewalks. Go to some morgues and watch a few autopsies. That'll fix ya right up!
Today my college class had a talk about road safety and tons of adverts with all the icky bits left in. In one of them a car crashed into another car, spun off and fell on top of a kid playing football. I laughed.

But there was one where a couple were making out and the car crashed into them and pinned the boy to the girl and killed him. Her legs were crushed as well. Not to mention that the boy, in the last moments of life, bit her tongue off.

Oh, and there was a one showing the internal organs jiggling around during a crash. With sound effects and everything. Bet you old people are trying to get young 'uns to man up by showing them this. It's a conspiracy!

Fun times.With that scene in the movie, I was like: "Are future painkillers magical?" because everyone knows you have to fight xenomorphs with a stapled stomach :p .

Go and see a doctor, dude. That doesn't sound normal.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Terratina. said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Kids nowadays, with their weak stomachs and their skateboards on the sidewalks. Go to some morgues and watch a few autopsies. That'll fix ya right up!
Today my college class had a talk about road safety and tons of adverts with all the icky bits left in. In one of them a car crashed into another car, spun off and fell on top of a kid playing football. I laughed.

But there was one where a couple were making out and the car crashed into them and pinned the boy to the girl and killed him. Her legs were crushed as well. Not to mention that the boy, in the last moments of life, bit her tongue off.

Oh, and there was a one showing the internal organs jiggling around during a crash. With sound effects and everything. Bet you old people are trying to get young 'uns to man up by showing them this. It's a conspiracy!

Fun times.With that scene in the movie, I was like: "Are future painkillers magical?" because everyone knows you have to fight xenomorphs with a stapled stomach :p .

Go and see a doctor, dude. That doesn't sound normal.
Well fuck. You're older than me >_>

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Yeah, pretty much as the title says, out of seemingly nowhere I passed out whilst watching Prometheus at the movies with my girlfriend today.

During the surgery scene, where the main character, Elizabeth Shaw, gets an alien embryo cut out of her whilst still awake and stapled back up, I was covering my girlfriend's eyes, since she doesn't like that sort of stuff. I last thing I remember was watching her being stapled back together whilst the alien squid-thing lashed around in the tight auto-surgery chamber. What it felt like next was a heap of commercials playing in my head and flashes of many different things from memory. As I came to, I awoke with tingling arms and legs and blurry vision, as my girlfriend was yelling at me and almost crying and on the screen there was what I think was a bunch of guys shooting guns.

So guys and gals, what are your thoughts? has this ever happened to you or someone you know? Me personally, I'm still pretty freaked out about the whole thing. I knew I was bad at surgery and such, but I didn't ever imagine it could have this effect on me.

Inb4 "lol man up you pussy."
Don't watch that scene in Black Hawk Down where they preform surgery on someone's leg. I certainly couldn't.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
@Clearing the Eye:

Only 2 years, going off the D.O.B. off your profile. And that's if it's even real ;) .

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
A very similar thing happened to my fiancée. She almost passed out and had to sit the rest of the movie out. Fortunately I was able to catch her heroically as she fell to the ground (she was on the way out of the theatre.)

I then less-than-heroically fell over myself less than three seconds later, because I'd caught her at an odd angle and my footing was weird.

BUT STILL.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
rhizhim said:
OhJohnNo said:
rhizhim said:
the only time i felt uncomfortable was when i watched the twist to everything is illuminated.

the squid scene was not that disgusting. maybe because i was laughing that Charlize Theron brought a surgical bed for men. how did she not check this? or is she a he/she?
The surgical bed was intended for that old guy.
i know. but at that point you didnt know about that.

what i really dont get from some revievers how they can not understand the continuity.
from my understanding the prometheus aliens find a world and force one of their crewmembers to stay behind and comit some kind of suicide.
his remains and bacteria affect the planet, terraforming it fit for life.

one the terraforming is done, they go down there and live their weird life.
they go to earth and see a new species that complicate things.
the leave, leaving lots of hints troughout the history of men about travellers from space.
they create bioweapons (xenomorphs) in case something other than food evolves and plan now to use it now that these filthy humans are occupying their planet.

something goes wrong and their schedule is screwed. humans evole in the meantime on earth.

they look in the history of men and see a pattern. they want to check it out, the movie prometheus starts

-------------------------

android ask the guy if he was willing to give up everything in order to unlock the mysteries of the ship.
he says yes and he infects him.
the guy screws around with his girlfriend.
girlfriend gets infected.
girlfriend removes 'baby' with the surgical bed.
baby grows and infects the only surviving 'Prometheus' alien.

alien gets back up and tries to fly the ship to earth to drop its cargo.
xenomorph bust out his chest and sees no one is around.
xenomorph lays eggs.
the crew of the Nostromo finds the ship with the eggs.
the movie alien continues.
the first time i saw alien and aliens i thought the xenomorphs can only be some kind of bioweapon. they can only breed with a host (like a parasite) and cant have therefore any kind of home planet. and this movie kind of plays my suspicion right.
Not quite correct - Prometheus is set on a different planet to Alien. But yeah, most of it was simple to me.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
rhizhim said:
what i really dont get from some revievers how they can not understand the continuity.
from my understanding the prometheus aliens find a world and force one of their crewmembers to stay behind and comit some kind of suicide.
his remains and bacteria affect the planet, terraforming it fit for life.

one the terraforming is done, they go down there and live their weird life.
they go to earth and see a new species that complicate things.
the leave, leaving lots of hints troughout the history of men about travellers from space.
they create bioweapons (xenomorphs) in case something other than food evolves and plan now to use it now that these filthy humans are occupying their planet.

something goes wrong and their schedule is screwed. humans evole in the meantime on earth.

they look in the history of men and see a pattern. they want to check it out, the movie prometheus starts

-------------------------

android ask the guy if he was willing to give up everything in order to unlock the mysteries of the ship.
he says yes and he infects him.
the guy screws around with his girlfriend.
girlfriend gets infected.
girlfriend removes 'baby' with the surgical bed.
baby grows and infects the only surviving 'Prometheus' alien.

alien gets back up and tries to fly the ship to earth to drop its cargo.
xenomorph bust out his chest and sees no one is around.
xenomorph lays eggs.
the crew of the Nostromo finds the ship with the eggs.
the movie alien continues.
the first time i saw alien and aliens i thought the xenomorphs can only be some kind of bioweapon. they can only breed with a host (like a parasite) and cant have therefore any kind of home planet. and this movie kind of plays my suspicion right.
Prometheus: Planet LV-223
Alien(s): Planet LV-246

planet isn't the same.

There is also the point that the ship in Alien suffered structural damage while the ship in Prometheus suffered no such external damage.

the standing theory:
planet LV-223 was a Science/Military base.

for thousands of year the 'Engineers' guided man-kind through their own hardships with the invitation of 'Hey, when you get smart enough, come visit us here' in which Scientists would meet Scientists and the two cultures would meet for the first time.

however, ~2000 years ago, the Engineers changed their tune. instead decided the human race was going in the wrong direction, and as such, must be destroyed. Oddly this coincides with rise of the Roman empire, a predominantly militaristic society rather then the artistic/spiritual/scientific ones before them, as well as the death of Jesus Christ (Engineer in disguise?)

But their biological weapon, a black goo that genetically mutates living organisms into xeno-morph bio-weapons, got loose and lead to the planet being destroyed...

it is possible that desperate individuals looking to try and escape took to individual space craft and flew off (as david does mention other space craft and we see Dr. Shaw leaving on a second one). Because of the Scene in Alien which shows the Space Jockey pilot pod seemingly destroyed, it is possible that one of these individuals was impregnated by a face hugger before taking flight, causing it to drift off course in his death crashing into the planet LV-246 (which is in close proximity).