So, I passed out during Prometheus today. . . [SPOILERS TOO]

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
denseWorm said:
Spitfire said:
So, basically, what you're saying is, you didn't like Shaw as a character. Fair enough, I suppose.
Now now, I am all for people arguing over their interpretations of films but I really don't think you've gone about your rebuttal convincingly.

Look, don't blame yourself or be a hater, I've been posting on this website since early 2008 in one guise or another and I went through periods where I adopted a blindly contrarian approach - magnifying my opinions and aligning them against those of others to the exclusion of any evidence arrayed against me.
Why thanks for letting me know.

In that case, there's literally no point in continuing this discussion any further, and I don't understand why you didn't just end your post there. Would've saved you some time.

But anyway, have fun!

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Also, that scene in Prometheus wasn't as bad as I expected. All the tension was killed when she jumped up from the table - stitches in and everything - and just started running away. Like, everything's fine. I wanted to yell at the screen. PRETTY SPRY FOR HAVING A BUNCH OF STAPLES IN YOUR GODDAMN ABDOMEN!! Kinda takes the squick out of squick when it's also horribly lazily written.
This.

If I ran, jumped, fell, and suffered as much abuse as she does from that point until movie's end, I would be in very sorry shape. Certainly I would sit and rest for a while before lugging a broken android onto a spaceship and blasting off In Search Of Sequ--er, I mean, In Search Of Answers.

She, on the other hand, would have suffered one continuous gushing hemorrhage from the moment she got off the table until, oh, maybe a quarter mile later, when she would have fallen over dead.

Also, the painkillers (what was the count, like seven shots in 20 minutes?). There's a reason you don't just give yourself shot after shot after shot of major anesthetic. It's called you fucking die if you do that.

I have several very large problems with this movie.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Johnny Impact said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Also, that scene in Prometheus wasn't as bad as I expected. All the tension was killed when she jumped up from the table - stitches in and everything - and just started running away. Like, everything's fine. I wanted to yell at the screen. PRETTY SPRY FOR HAVING A BUNCH OF STAPLES IN YOUR GODDAMN ABDOMEN!! Kinda takes the squick out of squick when it's also horribly lazily written.
This.

If I ran, jumped, fell, and suffered as much abuse as she does from that point until movie's end, I would be in very sorry shape. Certainly I would sit and rest for a while before lugging a broken android onto a spaceship and blasting off In Search Of Sequ--er, I mean, In Search Of Answers.

She, on the other hand, would have suffered one continuous gushing hemorrhage from the moment she got off the table until, oh, maybe a quarter mile later, when she would have fallen over dead.

Also, the painkillers (what was the count, like seven shots in 20 minutes?). There's a reason you don't just give yourself shot after shot after shot of major anesthetic. It's called you fucking die if you do that.

[youtube=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I passed out in the middle of a biology lesson once, while we were discussion blood pressure and how, ironically, low blood pressure can lead to fainting. My teacher told me later that the class had originally thought we'd set it up as some sort of joke, but it just happened to be bad timing.

For some reason, discussing the circulatory system, and/or the biological effects of drug abuse, makes me feel faint, though that was the only occasion I've actually passed out. I'm not actually sure why it does, since I have no problem with blood or gore, and I'm pretty neutral towards drugs.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Johnny Impact said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
This.

Awesome!

........And a couple more things I don't believe they covered. First, what the HELL is up with the Engineer they awaken at the end of the movie?? Here's a member of a race of technologically advanced ubermenschen, perhaps the only one of his kind left alive anywhere, who fled the destruction of his facility, has been in cryosleep for two thousand years, there is all this buildup like we're going to hear some puissant message from him to us his children -- and he doesn't say a goddamned word, just starts breaking necks. Really, big guy? We travel hundreds of light years, battle your horrid little beasts, restore you to life, speak to you in your own language, and you don't have ONE WORD to say about anything that's happened? Even a cliche like "Earthlings? You are a disappointment, we will scrub you from the universe like bleach on a stain blah blah" and THEN breaking necks would have been SO much better than nothing.

Then he dies like a ***** at the hands -- well, noodly appendages -- of his own monster. WHY? I realize he was blindsided but he had to know those critters were running around. Hell, they KILLED HIS WHOLE FUCKING CREW and had obviously had a go at the earthlings as well. Didn't he think to pick up, oh, I dunno, maybe a fucking GUN? Or even a knife? Maybe just put his armor back on? Nope, in the unimaginable future where we make biomechanoid killing machines for fun, our bare hands are the only weapons or protection we've ever conceived for ourselves. How is it that incomprehensibly advanced beings are so cataclysmically STUPID? Was that the point of the movie, that they aren't any smarter than we are??

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
I wouldn't know the first thing about or have experience with relatives who have epilepsia, but lack of hydration can lead to serious problems for everyone.

A few years back I was suffering from frequent nose bleeds, hemorrhaging in embarassing areas.. severe headaches, fatigue. When I went to a doctor it turned out to be severe dehydration, eventhough I never felt thirsty (quenching thirst with high-caffein drinks is extremely counterproductive, it sucks out even more water from the body).

Our body needs that 'fuel' to keep going, it needs water -much- more than food. As this saying goes in extreme cases the human body is capable of surviving weeks without food, but only ~3 days without water. Ideally make it a habit to chug a cup of water every hour or so, even if you aren't thirsty.

As General Ripper said, we need to protect our precious bodily fluids. Also that surgery scene was indeed extremely intense. :p

zeltrax5

Jul 6, 2010
Well, it just so happens that I saw Prometheus in the movie theater today. In fact, I just came home about 20 minutes ago, so the memory of the surgery scene is still pretty fresh in my head. Though, to be honest, (and as odd as it may sound) I actually found the scene...well, sexy. There was something unusually erotic about it.

I do however, agree that the scene was pretty gruesome (though not repulsive to me, personally). But you shouldn't feel embarrassed. Some people are naturally more faint-hearted than others. Everyone's body is different.