So I was Ungodly Underwhelmed By Skyrim...

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Was it your character? I don't think I could get involved in the game unless I was playing my own character and I knew I could keep playing.
If someone let me play an RPG for like 5 hours I think I would struggle to get into it rather than owning it myself and playing it for 50 hours now and nowhere near feeling burned out.

Your opinion I just don't think that's a good way to get into an RPG. If you don't wanna play it though that's fine.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
What I don't like about the Elder Scrolls game is their characterisation, and combat.

If there could be a strong, directed, character based story at the heart of the game, it would be great. However characters are the least important thing in Elder Scrolls games, and that's how I feel games come alive - if the characters aren't good, I just feel alone in this vast lonely world...

Also the combat needs a major overhaul, every Elder Scrolls game I've seen just looks floaty, no weight to the weapons or combat...just click click click, there seems to be no impact in the blows like there are in other games.

lockeslylcrit

Dec 28, 2008
It's good to see someone else who agrees, especially on the Dark Brotherhood quests in comparison to Oblivion.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
Story is flat, Characters are flat, So Skyrim ends up as a another loot gathering game, Kind of like a Diablo game in 3D.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
To be honest, the "we" probably impeded your fun. I don't know about you guys but this game screams single player experience to me and if anyone else is there then that takes away from it. Like a good book or film, having to be social takes away from the experience.

You could obviously still find it underwhelming even after playing it alone but I suggest giving it a go at least.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Hey guys, you know that popular thing? The thing a lot of you are talking about? Well, *I* didn't like it. What do you think about that, huh? Huh? Let's discuss it in a new thread.
True. But there has been plenty of blah blah Skyrim is the greatest game ever made come join me in this circle jerk of praise blah blah threads.

It be nice to see no Skyrim threads really.
As someone who is on the fence I'd like to see more negative skyrim threads that isnt drowned out by defensive fanboyish reactions or the subject of pointless negativity so I can get a more accurate estimate if this game is for me.

Honestly, for a gaming discussion site, escapist is terrible in that regard.
I mean you still can't even say "i hated da2" on this site without being ganked by a people saying how much your wrong and you "dont get" the obvious masterpiece that is da2, for bioware can do no wrong.
Actually that's a bad example as there's enough people who feel that way for me to blend in and not get singled out on that.

Only when I started checking other sites such as something awful did I start reading well constructed arguments as to both the qualities and faults of skyrim and picking up snippets that applied to me and my specific tastes.

Now i've come to realize that if fallout new vegas and skyrim came out at the same time and one wasn't hyped over the other, i'd probably have gone for and enjoyed new vegas more as it caters more to my specific tastes then skyrim does.

I'll still end up getting skyrim at some point as its the only ES game that might sucker me in, but has dropped off my "must buy now" list and will wait until there the mod community gets cracking so i can tinker the game to my hearts desire.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Freaky Lou said:
I really don't want this engine used in the next Fallout game. I don't see this dual-wielding focus translating well at all.

Would it be possible to use the Rage engine for Fallout, do you think?
Funny thing here is that Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Counter Strike: Source and Company of Heroes use the same physics engine (The Source engine is slightly modified) so the engine doesn't really matter that much in regards to how the game will turn out. Though the RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Gaming engine) engine is awesome when it comes to ragdoll effects. Still id tech 5 is quite cool too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
kenu12345 said:
all i have to say is there is already a thread for this other than i understand your opionion and yes it probably would be awesome in the next fallout game
Oh please. Like redundancy didn't stop everyone else from flooding the front page of the forum with a dozen Skyrim topics.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I think reading through this thread has actually made me physically ill. Now that OP's suspended, can we all just agree that:

A: Nintendo has terrible 3rd party support.
B: The Wii doesn't have the same hardware as the 360 or PS3.
C: Nintendo can still make great games in-house.
D: Lots of awesome games came out this year, including one Wii game (Skyward Sword)

Good, we all agree on that? Awesome.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm totally in the wrong thread, lol. Disregard all of that.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
kenu12345 said:
all i have to say is there is already a thread for this other than i understand your opionion and yes it probably would be awesome in the next fallout game
Oh please. Like redundancy didn't stop everyone else from flooding the front page of the forum with a dozen Skyrim topics.
sir the flooding of the threads of skyrim has been predicted for centuries by our ancestors!
jk but really when i posted that there was literally a thread completly visible in the recent post section heck its even in the popular threads.
Plus teh skyrim ones are more varied than this is why i dont like it.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Poor melee combat is basically a hallmark of the TES series, and I was disappointed to see that little has changed in Skyrim (I do like the shield bash, however). Mount & Blade has far superior fighting mechanics

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
endtherapture said:
What I don't like about the Elder Scrolls game is their characterisation, and combat.

If there could be a strong, directed, character based story at the heart of the game, it would be great. However characters are the least important thing in Elder Scrolls games, and that's how I feel games come alive - if the characters aren't good, I just feel alone in this vast lonely world...

Also the combat needs a major overhaul, every Elder Scrolls game I've seen just looks floaty, no weight to the weapons or combat...just click click click, there seems to be no impact in the blows like there are in other games.
The most impact I've gotten out of any attack in Skyrim is dualcaasting with..well...the Impact perk. Making monsters stagger repeatedly until they die, however OP, is the only way I actually feel like I'm doing any sort of damage.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Funny thing about game engines is that they have no impact on game mechanics at all. They are after all simply the tools that power the graphics and physics. Fallout 3 and Catherine both use the Gamebryo engine.
Huh, I didn't know Catherine was built on Gamebryo. Anyway, while that is a relief, it's probably still not an engine that'll lend itself well to shooter mechanics---you say engine has no impact on that, but FO3 had really awful shooter mechanics and had to use VATS to compensate. Maybe that's Bethesda's fault (After all, New Vegas was better--though still not any good as a shooter), but still, I'm skeptical.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Highly unlikely. Consoles only have so much GPU and RAM to utilise. The Rage engine focuses all its energies in rendering linear areas in high amounts of detail. Open world games like Fallout need to render much larger, non-linear areas for the player to explore. Due to the limitations of console hardware, as well as the sheer amount of effort/man hours required, logic dictates that these areas will be rendered in lesser detail.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Still, if Fallout must be a shooter, I'd like to see it at least done with decent shooting mechanics.
The VATS system wasn't to compensat for it. It was just eye candy and a nudge to players that played the previous 2 titles with the same name from another developer, saying - "Hey, look, it's from the other games of the series! LOOK! We didn't forget you! It's the same franchise!"

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
The VATS system wasn't to compensat for it. It was just eye candy and a nudge to players that played the previous 2 titles with the same name from another developer, saying - "Hey, look, it's from the other games of the series! LOOK! We didn't forget you! It's the same franchise!"
It was indeed designed to be a nod to the previous two games, but it also compensated for the awful, awful shooter mechanics. Fallout 3 would be nearly unplayable without VATS.

Knocker

Aug 4, 2010
Angus Young said:
Yesterday a friend of mine brought over Skyrim and we played it for a good 4-5 hours. I felt like I got a good handle on the basic core of the game. And well I felt like it wasn't very good. I did 6 quests, a few side quests and cleared a few dungeons and nothing. I felt like It was just Oblivion, just not as fun. The Dark Brotherhood, what I played of it was nothing compared to that of Oblivion and I felt like the world was not as immersive as Cyrodil. On a High note the graphics were beautiful and the scenery was pretty. I can't wait for this Engine to be used in the Next Fallout game.

So after my mini rant does anyone feel the same way? I was going to wait to buy the game next year as a GOTY edition but now I'm not even going to buy it at all.

Also yes I'm a Modern Warfare, Saints Row, and Fallout fanboy
Thanks for your "opinion". My "opinion" : if you don't like it, don't play it.