So, If everyone with HIV/Aids dies,there would be no more HIV/Aids.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
krazykidd said:
Again , for the ump-teenth time , never said anything about exterminating anyone , you would know this if you read the original post. I actually condemn the idea of genocide.
Obviously nobody remembers Aliens any more.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
I like the OP just trailing off their thoughts and somehow thinking they're a moral pragmatist when they can't even spell eradicate.

Oh and good luck trying to kill 3 million americans.

I know in Australia it'd be less than 200,000 :).

Jaime_Wolf said:
We don't all know this. We have huge areas where this is not at all known, where safe sex is not possible. This also discounts the possibility of rape, accidental exposure to infected blood, etc. You're making a huge assumption that the rest of the world has the same knowledge and resources as the part you're in.
That's because he's the vocal part of North America/wherever that the rest of the world facepalms at because they don't seem to understand basic geography, in that, the US is a small portion of the world.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
How would you be sure you had everybody?

Not to mention we already understand HIV better, we can treat it to a certain level and there are people immune to it. It will only take being able to spread the immunity and HIV is gone.

..HIV being a virus won't just go away by putting everybody in happy camps. It will go away with medicines and cell therapy!

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
LuckyClover95 said:
Did you know, something like 1% of Germans are naturally immune to HIV. Fun fact. I read it.
Not immune, resistant and it's a mutation found in 10% of Europeans not 1%. The constant plagues that finally died out in the 1600's across most of Europe and in the 1800s in Russia and Eastern Europe is probably what selected for the mutation. As it appears it was only present in 1 out of 20,000 people before.

Anyway. I googled the shit out of this, and that's what I found.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
rapidoud said:
Jaime_Wolf said:
We don't all know this. We have huge areas where this is not at all known, where safe sex is not possible. This also discounts the possibility of rape, accidental exposure to infected blood, etc. You're making a huge assumption that the rest of the world has the same knowledge and resources as the part you're in.
That's because he's the vocal part of North America/wherever that the rest of the world facepalms at because they don't seem to understand basic geography, in that, the US is a small portion of the world.
Although there's likely to be truth in that, it's not necessarily a matter of being unable to see outside the borders of one's own nation (though that's not unlikely either).

Plenty of people don't quite make the connection that not everyone else is in the same situation as them, even people in their own community they happen to know. This leads to, amongst other things, endless complaints about "traitors" not supporting politicians who are obviously the best to protect "their" interests and the like.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
We should have the Pope tried under international law for aiding in the spreading of a contagious and life-threatening disease.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
ElPatron said:
I believe in Eugenics and I think that purging HIV-positive humans is sick.

A very good idea, to be honest. But still sick.

LarenzoAOG said:
AIDS didn't just pop up, lots of scientists think AIDS was originally spread to humans from a rhesus monkey or something, so even if everyone with AIDS dies it won't just go away.
It will require that virus to take an evolutionary path to become transmittable to humans again.
Still not a permanent solution.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
Well I don't think it is necesarily about stupidity, I think that is letting people off too easily. Saying they are too dumb to understand the implications of their actions. No, I think they understand perfectly and just don't care, because unfortunately for idealistic ideas like the OPs many members of the human race don't care about the overall health of our species. They care about themselves and perhaps few people around them. This means that any plan involving complete cooporation of nearly 7 billion individuals is so close to impossible that it's not really worth mentioning. Trust me, if it was as simple as lets all band together to get rid of AIDS I think we would have done it by now.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
krazykidd said:
Sorry, what? You realise that most of the AIDS epidemic happens in Africa, where Catholics condemn condoms and urge everyone to avoid them. AIDS can be transferred by saliva - kissing, essentially - and you can carry the disease without ever realising that you have it. There's no practical way to eliminate AIDS short of finding a cure, so yes, of course we should keep trying.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
HellbirdIV said:
I hate to be a downer but.. uh.. since HIV can be transmitted through blood, there's the problem of, uhm.. well... an entire family of blood-sucking insect species prevalent in every single corner of the globe. And then some.

Just sayin'.
Actually, mosquitoes cannot transmit AIDS. It is physically impossible, and here is my source. http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Man, I dunno. It's the Africans, man.

We should, like, bomb Africa. Because that's how the world works.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
What? You're kidding me right? RIGHT?

What's next? We sterilize all those people having increased probability of giving birth to children with a down syndrome?

We drive the horde of unclean and infectous kids with influenca (aka flu) in a pen and let them rot there hoping we will never get a common cold again?

We don't treat expensive head traumas anymore because anyone who is too stupid to get hit in the head (that's the part where the brain is alledegly located) needs to get out of the way of the genepool as quickly as possible...

Where do you stop? The sky is the limit I suppose...
Let's have genetics and viruses decide who shall live and who not.

What if you would get infected by AIDS even if only because of someone elses fault? Ever thought about that?
I enjoy the slippery slope argument as much as the next guy, but the difference between the flu and aids is that one comes from just taking a walk in the rain, or simply being alive, while the other has to be contracted from someone who has it. So it doesn't really fit. There are other differences too, but that is the one that is relevant in this case.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Really if you want to solve HIV/AIDS in the shortest amount of time you gather up everyone who has it and kill them.

There's no being moral about it, you just do it and say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Of course barring that and just waiting for people to die who have it is also wrong. even protective measures such as condoms dont completely assure it doesnt spread. You get into the argument of segregation.

So for now, we continue education and work towards a cure, because we as humans like to pretend we're humane and moral creatures.

EDIT:

actually... I remember in eleventh grade someone said bleach killed AIDS. So a girl (who is actually very smart both GPA and common sense wise) said why not just put bleach in everyones blood.

I like to think that she was just having an off day and it was early and she missed breakfast, otherwise knowing she's smarter than me would just be too much of a weight to live with.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
krazykidd said:
What's my point? In this day and age, with all the technology and knowledge we have, there is no reason for this virus to be spreading.We all know that we should practice safe sex to protect from STDs.We all know that we should get tested, when we change partners to reduce the chance of getting or spreading an STD.Therefor in theory,the virus should disappear ( or should have already disapeared) on it's own. Yet it isn't. It's still here and it's spreading as fast as ever.
Speaking as a man who set his hand on fire to high-five someone just 'cus, I don't think that logic is waterproof.

People still have unwanted pregnancy, and people still shoot up on heroine and it's not exactly like that's unknown area in the Western world.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
orangeban said:
1) Lack of education. Best example is the developing nations of Africa, where people have very poor sex education, if any, and just keep spreading the disease because they don't realise what they are doing. However, this also happens in developed countries, either through crap education, lack of education or abstinince-only education.
In fact, I hear that there is actually a shamanistic belief circulated in Africa that, if you have HIV and have sex with several virgins, their purity will cleanse you of the disease and save your life.

Of course, we all know that such has the exact opposite effect. Whether this is actually a held belief and how widely it is held is not something I am an expert on, but if there ARE people who believe this think about how hard it would be to convince them otherwise...

"Yes, I know that your supposed cure is relatively easy, pleasurable, and risk-free from your perspective, but cold hard science says there is no possible way it will work. What? No. Science has no cure... we can keep you alive for quite some time with medication and sterile environments, but considering the quality of your drinking water and your inability to leave, your life expectancy is about five months. But still, you know, science is better."

In this case, it isn't even people being jerks or careless or unlucky, like it is in more developed countries. It's people with no chance to live desperately grasping at straws, trying to save their lives. And who can blame them (providing all's consensual, of course)?

Containment on this really isn't an option, not anymore. Putting the first infected chap in a bubble would have done wonders, of course, but it's just way too large now, and until we solve some more pressing problems (like world hunger, and sanitary conditions in third world countries) mere education isn't going to do it. I think we'd better look for a cure, a vaccine, a solid (and economic) treatment plan or anything we can get our hands on for this, because trying to coordinate globaly something like, "Okay, all you people who are sick just stay to yourselves and die quietly so the rest of us don't have to take precautions," doesn't really work when we can't even band together to defeat the mass-murdering threat of our own digestive systems.

It's really hard to convince people to 'take one for the team' when you haven't given them a jersey.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Woodsey said:
I'm just going to sit and time how long it takes for some stupid twat to say bombing Africa is the answer.
You know, bombing Africa would probably be the best way to eradicate HIV.

OT: All jokes aside I really don't think Option A is viable. There are too many developing nations with backwards education for the virus to be completely eradicated. Option C is our best bet.