So I'm a jack of all trades. So?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This really depends on whether or not you play games for the rush of owning everyone you see. Since you seem to be in it for maximum playful fun when you can find the time, it doesn't really matter. This sounds like a high school thing to me (it shouldn't feel like that long ago), the idea that other people may judge you based on video game skill. If you aren't having fun and feel stressed about it, then you're probably doing it wrong and wasting a lot of money.

epidemia

Nov 24, 2012
No matter how good at a game you get, theres always some ocd case who never does anything else, calls all of your strategies noobish and will completely destroy you in multiplayer.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
The people who claim to be bad-ass at those games would get a furious beat-down if they played against some people online, sounds like your friend needs to go into a match with pros! See his tune change.

I can't think of a game I excel at...
right there with you. i didnt think i was amazing at any game really untill i had a few compliments on world of tanks. apparently im in the top 2% of players which says more about how crap the average player is more than any skill on my part. the only difference i have is i know when to run
Trust me, if you know to push an open flank and how to angle armour, you are better than 90% of the playing population. Dear lord some people in that game make me want to hurt things.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This is a thing? I've honestly never even heard someone express that opinion before.

Therarchos

Mar 20, 2011
Funny thing is. You get all of the fun. You might not be the one everyone thinks is the greatest but you can play anything and have fun because you do not suck at it.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Therarchos said:
Funny thing is. You get all of the fun. You might not be the one everyone thinks is the greatest but you can play anything and have fun because you do not suck at it.
Exactly, being average means you dont feel you have to stick to a particular genre ^_^

Jun 11, 2008
Dogstile said:
wombat_of_war said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
The people who claim to be bad-ass at those games would get a furious beat-down if they played against some people online, sounds like your friend needs to go into a match with pros! See his tune change.

I can't think of a game I excel at...
right there with you. i didnt think i was amazing at any game really untill i had a few compliments on world of tanks. apparently im in the top 2% of players which says more about how crap the average player is more than any skill on my part. the only difference i have is i know when to run
Trust me, if you know to push an open flank and how to angle armour, you are better than 90% of the playing population. Dear lord some people in that game make me want to hurt things.
Except those people that try to angle pike nose tanks the wrong way like the IS 3 that is just free exp.

OT: I'm kind of the same in general but I have a few areas in which I excel more than the people I play with and vice versa.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Breath of knowledge improves ones ability to think creatively and more flexibly, which often improves problem solving in all disciplines. Vital in any team, even if your execution in any task is second tier.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Lazarus Long

Be a jack of all trades, a renaissance man, the very model of a modern major general, an omnidisciplinary engineer, a red mage; like me.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I'm in a similar situation as you. It's harder for me to have long playing sessions, be it because of lack of time or because I simply get bored.

I play a racing game for half and hour, then I spend some time in Scribblenauts Unlimited. Then I play Skyrim for a while or some Dishonored. Some days I play one hour or more of XCOM, I continue my game of The Walking Dead and then I play The Sims 3.

Other days I play a longer session of Civ V and some GTA IV.

Am I a hard core gamer? I don't know. Am I a casual player? I don't think so, but I don't really care about playing just one game and being really good at just that game.

I simply don't have the patience to play the same game for four hours straight anymore. Maybe I prefer to play many games just a little, because it reminds me of when I used to play at the Arcades when I was a child. It makes it much harder for me to finish the games. I have just played 60 hours of Skyrim since it was released.

If anyone has suggestions how I would get more fun from games then I'll be thankful. If that helps me to finish more games or to get better at them then it's cool. But that should be the focus. Fun!

Therarchos

Mar 20, 2011
daveman247 said:
Therarchos said:
Exactly, being average means you dont feel you have to stick to a particular genre ^_^
Well you don't have to be "just" average, being good at a lot of games may give you an advantage in any game. But you will probably never be the best at any game.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Therarchos said:
daveman247 said:
Therarchos said:
Well you don't have to be "just" average, being good at a lot of games may give you an advantage in any game. But you will probably never be the best at any game.
but that's the problem. In my case, I am average. I could win a couple of rounds against my friends in any fighting game but they would probably win most of the matches. It probably takes me half an hour to solve a Portal puzzle while my other friends take half of the time to do the same thing. I could try to become good at FPS but my friends would put me to shame unintentionally. So I would say I'm average at most, if not all, of the games I own. I'm not a casual gamer but I don't excel at any game or genre in particular.

And that's the problem my friends see and why they mess with me. yeah, I don't care much about that because A) They're just messing with me playfully and B) That's not gonna stop me, even if they were truly trying to be mean. But it still kinda ticks me off that they have this mentality where you MUST be good at some genre or game. Like it would define you as a gamer.

Reece Borgars

Feb 10, 2012
if i were you, i really wouldnt care - as long as you enjoy the games it doesnt matter how good/shit you are at anything, although, things are generally more enjoyable if you dont die constantly. But constant death isnt really a problem for a 'jack of all trades'

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I'm good at CoD Black Ops 1 and any CoD preceding it. I'm good at Battlefield 3 (not so much the other Battlefields though). I make mediocre minecraft structures sometimes I have an epipheny and make an amazing structure though :). The only sports game I've owned and enjoyed was Fifa 2001...for playstation 1. I'm bad at Halo, I can only just hold a 1.3 k/d on it (i play objective too though) :)

I'm pretty good at RPG games but I've only played Bethesda produced or developed RPGs. I play Skyrim on master difficulty but anybody could with my character, I play Oblivion a little above medium and I play fallout 3 (and new vegas) on medium too.

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
Getting too good, or knowing too much about a game can take a lot of the fun and adventure and mystery out of a game. I used to always read tons of faqs and guides for every game I played, but recently I've started playing games while doing no additional research, and it's amazing how much of difference it makes in the tone of the game, and how you feel playing it.

Reminds me of Walt Whitman's When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer.

Also, I got really good at Smash Bros a while back, played in some tournaments, but got so good that none of my friends wanted to play against me anymore, because it wasn't fun for them to be beaten all the time.

So, like others have said before, do whatever you think will give you the most enjoyment and appreciation of the games you play.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I used to excel at CS 1.6. And that's about it. I've never been good at any one game, and mostly play just for the fun. I haven't finished half of the games I have, including skyrim and dragon's dogma. And that's fine. Just because you're a casual gamer (a real one, not a retard that wants everything piss easy and able to complete it in an hour or less) doesn't mean you're not a gamer.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Christ, not this again. Lemme put it on the loud speakers for those guys.

[HEADING=2]Games are for having fun![/HEADING]

Expertise... Gimme a break.
Tell that to people who play LoL, DotA, fighters, TF2, MH or CoD. Say you're new to any of those games and watch the hate mail flood in.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
Christ, not this again. Lemme put it on the loud speakers for those guys.

[HEADING=2]Games are for having fun![/HEADING]

Expertise... Gimme a break.
Tell that to people who play LoL, DotA, fighters, TF2, MH or CoD. Say you're new to any of those games and watch the hate mail flood in.
Well, that's THEIR tough luck then. No skin off MY nose. They're the ones who decide to go all bendy.

You really...you really REALLY...can't make it my problem. You literally have NO power in that sense. There's nothing you can actually DO to make the shitty dispositions of people like that my problem.