So , i'm going to try to quit smoking today , any advice?

Declaro

Sep 1, 2010
Watching both my parents quit (and quitting after a brief spell of it myself) has made me think this: If you're really hooked, then don't let yourself fall off the wagon even if you do end up smoking a cigarette or two at some point. It's obviously better not to ever give in, but if you do, just shrug it off and keep not smoking.

Aerowaves

Sep 10, 2009
Drink a cup of tea every time you get the craving. You're kept busy by the preparation and at the end of the day you're saddled with a less harmful addiction that doesn't put everyone around you at risk!

Unless they break your teapot. Dark things happen then.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Here's some very harsh advice. You're going to have to stop hanging out with smokers. I kept quitting multiple times, and it was always the same thing that got me hooked again. I absolutely can not stand cigarette smoke, unless I'm also smoking. This gets even worse if you quit.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's simple.
Don't smoke.
Keep not smoking until you don't feel like smoking any more.

Rock 'n' Soul

Nov 15, 2009
You've got to realize that after the first 2 weeks your body won't be physically addicted to the nicotine anymore so it's going to be purely mental triggers you will have to overcome. I smoked a pack of day for 6 years starting when I was 13 and quit back in May of 2008 cold turkey.

There is no easy way to quit. When you want to smoke, try to find a way to take your mind off of it. Chew some gum, eat a piece of candy, or put on a good song to sing. Eventually, you'll realize what triggers make you want to smoke like, finishing a meal, driving, waking up in the morning, etc.

Also, you need to understand that it's very possible that even years after you quit you will still find the urge to smoke. The hardest for me is when I see someone on television doing it, or if I'm out drinking with friends that smoke.

Think about how much money you are going to save by quitting and never ever forget to take into consideration the enormous health benefits you and the people around you will receive when you kick the habit.

This is the book that I read when I quit smoking and it helped a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-smokers/dp/1402771630/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316099920&sr=1-1

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Keep smoking, you'll look cooler!

I kid. Good luck, lots of good advice here; you can always arm yourself with the science too. I find I better handle emotional situations when I know exactly why, biologically, they're occurring. It gives me some objective context.

Play the new 1.8 update for Minecraft, it's just great.

I'd, like other people have said, avoid situations where people will smoke socially, or your inhibitions will be compromised. Give it a couple of months before you go out drinking again, if you do so at all.

Edit: Oh, don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's something that puts me off drinking / smoking. Observe someone you find repulsive doing it. It loses some of it's merit in the short term. I'm not addicted to either though, so it's benefits might be mitigated in your case.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
smoke less

in all seriousness, say you smoke a pack every 2 days (half a pack a day). one week, try to use only 19 cigarettes over two days. the next week, try to use only 18, and so on and so forth.

Wurek

Jan 23, 2010
Well when I stopped smoking 2 years ago I had the same problem, so whenever I craved cigarettes I ate junk food till my addiction subsided. Guess it isn't a solution since it isn't much healthier but it's solution if you're really desperate.

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
Have a good motivation. I quit it after smoking 6-7 years (i'm now 33). I did it for my girlfriend (who is still with me). That happened nearly 3 years ago and i managed to quit from one day to the other.

Sooo... Motivation and willpower.

RetardedKitty

May 17, 2011
krazykidd said:
Yeah so i'm 22 years of age , been amoking for 3 years , and today for the first time i want to quit , people always say that quitting soking is hard . I wouldn't know because this is the first time i try to quit . So any advice for me ? I'm not going to take patches or whatever the new product for quitting sokim , i'm going to try to do it with old fashioned willpower ( what will power still exists in 2011??) . I used to smoke half a pack a day and i'm going to quit cold turkey . So what to and not to do would be appreciated , and online support is cool too .
My personal advice as i droped smoking 6 months ago (im 23)
1. Make yourself busy so you wouldnt think about smoking
2. Try to stay away from other smoking people, they maybe not even tempting you, but you see how they are smoking and that is doing the bad job.
3. Origami... yes... each time i wanted a fag i started doing origami, i learned a small flower, then a swan, later some other birds, bat, frog bigger flowers. But it helps taking your mind of smoking cause you are concentrated on something else completely. And only thing you need to have is piece of paper and watch some youtube 'how to'. And it impresses girls ALOT! :p

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
krazykidd said:
Yeah so i'm 22 years of age , been amoking for 3 years , and today for the first time i want to quit , people always say that quitting soking is hard . I wouldn't know because this is the first time i try to quit . So any advice for me ? I'm not going to take patches or whatever the new product for quitting sokim , i'm going to try to do it with old fashioned willpower ( what will power still exists in 2011??) . I used to smoke half a pack a day and i'm going to quit cold turkey . So what to and not to do would be appreciated , and online support is cool too .
Quitting cold turkey is a recipe for disaster, It'll end up stressing you out more, and even if it does stick you'll go fucking crazy in the process.

Just ween your self off. go to a quarter of a pack a day, then go to one pack a week, then half a pack a week. or something like that.

Cold Turkey will drive you up the fucking wall.

beniki

May 28, 2009
krazykidd said:
Just remember this, every time you go for a cigarette:

I knew you couldn't do it.

Do you dare prove me, a random stranger on the internet, wrong?

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
You just said it right in your post, just stop and don't anymore. Willpower, prove that you can go without it. That's what I did. Cold Turkey. One day I just said "no more" and no matter how much I wanted to, I wouldn't allow myself to smoke.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
krazykidd said:
I quit cold turkey about 2 weeks ago, was tough, but I did it. I had been smoking for about 8 years, a pack a day.

You have to WANT to quit, you have to be able to tell yourself "I'm not going to buy a pack" each time you feel you want to smoke.

Chewing gum helped me out a bit, not really a whole lot, but a bit.

Smoking marijuana instead helped a LOT! Satisfied the "smoke in/out" feeling, plus being high is a bonus :)

I also just kept thinking about the money I'd be saving, for me it was $30 a week.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Find a way to occupy your time (and particularly your hands... No, not like that, don't be perverse ) that's the main kicker, I find. Start a new RPG character or something. Other thing is, if you wind up cracking and having 1 or so, don't feel bad, shit happens, so long as one doesn't become 2, 4 - you get the idea. Good luck to ya, though!