So I'm in this three way relationship

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
So the story up until now...

In my freshman year of college I met a girl (we'll call her Emily to make it easier) whom I spoke with one day and we became friends. See, the first day we met she had told me she had a boyfriend so I was all "Well that blows that chance, but she's still cool so we'll just be friends" and I was fine with that. A while later I met her boyfriend too (we'll call him Dave) and he was really cool too and we also became friends. By the way, Emily is a junior and Dave has graduated.

So a year later (she's now a senior) we're still friends and Emily has an idea. One night she asks Dave if me and her can date and do all the things that come with dating. He said it was fine and so we dated. We haven't actually had sex yet, but we've pretty much done everything else. I'm really loving this even though I know it'll end by the end of this semester. Everything we do is relayed to each other, nothing is hidden. Me and Dave take turns going out with Emily whenever we have spare time, and sometimes we just all go out to do something. It's fun, it really is.

I've just never heard of something like this happening to anyone else, so I wanted to know what the standard internet reaction would be. What would you call this kind of relationship?

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
so yall are in whats considered an open relationship that all parties involved are cool with. It's more of a taboo topic if anything.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I guess if you're all happy then that's ok. I can't see it working long term, and to be honest it all seems a bit of a mess, but for a fling or something then sure, why not?

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
That is an open relationship. If it really is working out as well as you say it is, then you are a lucky man; most people can't handle that kind of relationship. Make sure you keep your eyes open, though, especially when you start having sex and when it comes time to end the relationship. Things might get touchy around then.

I think people tend to have the wrong idea about relationships. The participants usually end up being obsessive, clingy, and jealous, which, while being very unhealthy, is also human nature. As with all aspects of human nature, it is possible to overcome those feelings, but doing so takes a lot of self-discipline and is very rare.

I agree with Dan Savage when he says that we should no longer consider monogamy to be the most important requirement of a relationship.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I would call it a real couple having pity on someone and tossing them a bone. Probably going to end badly.

You should ask that love chick who does articles for the Escapist what she thinks. It would be fun to read.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Well if it works (it rarily does because it's a taboo), and you're fine with it, and enjoying yourself, and everybody is.

Then..

What the hell is stopping you? Seriously, HAVE FUN. That's what life is all about, right. Just make sure you don't involve STD's into the relationship and you're fine :p

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Whoa, this shit is way to weird for me.
Basically they're swingers?

but seeing as your avatar dated a girl with 7-6 ex boyfriends(and girl) you probably dont care.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I'd call it the kind of relationship that can't possibly last but you seem to be well aware of and prepared for that already.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Go for it! You're having fun, aren't you? It probably won't last, but what have you got to lose?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Open relationship, hey if it makes you all happy then it's awesome, doesn't work that way for most but on rare occasion the right people come together.

I sort of had my dealings with that, ofcourse I wasn't told that she was dating two others on the side and nor were they... that one didn't go well because I don't like to share.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Grabbin Keelz said:
What would you call this kind of relationship?
A fun ticking time bomb. Enjoy it while its fun and start building your bunker for when the shit storm hits.

And you'll get a good drinking story out of this.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
One of my friends is in an open relationship but with two girls. He met his now fiancee and she introduced him to her girlfriend. Strangely, the three of them have been together for three years now. It?s working for them but it takes a lot of work and a lot of compromise.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
LetalisK said:
Grabbin Keelz said:
A fun ticking time bomb. Enjoy it while its fun and start building your bunker for when the shit storm hits.

And in the end, isn't that all that matters? Being able to say you did this?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
You've honestly never heard of an open relationship before? What rock have you been living under? I wouldn't call it common but it's far from rare.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Acrisius said:
Isn't that polygamy? :p
Or some variation of it. Reminds me of those weird documentaries where they, for example, visit families with 2 men and 1 woman raising a family together, and they ask how it works for them.
The term you're looking for is "polyandry."

OT: Just be sure where the line with sex is. Don't forget she was dating the other guy first and he may not take you having sex with her as being fine. Who knows, maybe he'll want to join in? Best to ask him before it might become an issue though.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Redlin5 said:
LetalisK said:
Grabbin Keelz said:

And in the end, isn't that all that matters? Being able to say you did this?
And that you come out with no STDs or kids. Don't be a fool, wrap your penis.

That's how it goes, right?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
This reminded me of that bit in futurama about how polygamy is like cake. Cake that other guys are throwing their naked sweaty bodies at.

Lol, but seriously.
I guess its a pretty casual open relationship.
Not something I would do, but it if works for you.