So I'm thinking of getting into Metroid....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was going to say start with Zero Mission, then play 2, then Super then whichever ones you feel like from there, either Fusion or the Prime Trilogy. However since it seems as you've already dabbled in a few games, saying all that would be redundant (even though I already said it). Personally I didn't really like Fusion at all esp. the ending which I won't spoil.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Richard A. Kiernan said:
Only Super Metroid is available through the Wii Virtual Console, and that is in fact how I completed it. The Wii Virtual Console only accommodates home consoles rather than handhelds; the only way to play handheld games on the Wii is to hack it and get yourself a homebrew emulator.
I still have my GBA lying around....its just the lack of backlight that puts me off using it...

canadamus_prime said:
I was going to say start with Zero Mission, then play 2, then Super then whichever ones you feel like from there, either Fusion or the Prime Trilogy. However since it seems as you've already dabbled in a few games, saying all that would be redundant (even though I already said it). Personally I didn't really like Fusion at all esp. the ending which I won't spoil.
Fusion is the "latest" chronologically right?

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
I recomend the prime series ther the only metriod g ames I've played but they rank among the best games i've played ever. Two words of warning though if you want to know what's going on in prime be prepared to scan everything. It wasn't a problem for me since I like reading every scarp of info I get my hands on but If your not that big into reading you might not enjoy it as much which would be a shame because the backstory for the planet is incredaible. Also it's allready been mentioned before but prime 2 is tough (esipically the seconed to last boss) but is still worth checking out if you can find it.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Oh yeah, if you're curious as to the in-game chronology, it goes:

Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission

Metroid Prime
[Metroid Prime: Hunters]
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Metroid II
Super Metroid

Metroid Other M

Metroid Fusion

----------------------

As a point of interest, Other M breaks the canon of the following games:

Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid II
Super Metroid
Metroid Other M
Metroid Fusion

And yes, that was all the games. Including itself.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Dr. Cakey said:
Where did it retcon itself? I completely stopped giving a damn less than halfway through so I didn't get the details as well as I should've.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Dr. Cakey said:
Where did it retcon itself? I completely stopped giving a damn less than halfway through so I didn't get the details as well as I should've.
Wait, do you actually want an answer? I didn't come with one prepared.

There was an instance that I thought had occurred, but I re-checked the blog (let's call it, like, the Official Unofficial Other M Blog or something) and I was in error.

But the story looks like it was written in one draft, by which I mean that a character may at one point have their motivations/goals become clear, but this doesn't jive with anything they've been doing previously. Like a serial, or a long-running anime (even a short-running anime). If I actually wanted to, I could probably go through and say "this doesn't make sense, this doesn't make sense" but I'd mostly be nit-picking.

When I started that paragraph, though, I was speaking in general terms and not thinking of anything in particular, but when I ended it, I realized I was talking about Adam. Because it's always Adam.

EDIT: Basically I might have been overstating things a bit is the point. And yet by sheer statistics, I'm probably correct.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
I started at Metroid in 1987, then went to Metroid color for gameboy color and stopped at Super Metroid. I did everything possible in SM and came to a conclusion that no other Metroid could be better, I still listen to the music today.

So yeah you want to start getting into Metroid, play and beat the very first one, it was hard as hell.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Richard A. Kiernan said:
I recall that problem. I never upgraded to a GBA SP, so I had to wait until I had my DS to have backlit Game Boy Advance games. I still have my Game Boy Advance as well - and my Game Boy Color, for that matter.
Ive been playing the gameboy games on my TV with a pS3 controler (still amazed that worked out XD)

looked into gamecube emulation but I think just getting it on Wii will be easyer (as much as a hate that thing)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Corruption is the only one I can actually remember properly, really enjoyed the others I remeber thou :p