So I'm thinking of getting into Metroid....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
well I mean I already have...kind of

I played super Metroid (but didnt finish) some time ago (and for someone who usually cant stand anything retro it blew me away)

I also played Metroid prime 3 (didn't finish) on the Wii which I absolutely loved

so I'm thinking of digging out my dusty old Wii and starting over from the prime trilogy

aside from super Metroid what other games are worth playing? I hear theres a few on the gameboy advance...and I knoe other M is probably best avoided

and are those games playable without using the gameboy/handheld? doesn't the Wii have a store for this kind of thing? does it still exist? (does it accept paypal?) or is emulation the only options? (am I even allowed to discuss that?)

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Metroid Zero Mission is alot of fun (I'm assuming you don't want to play metroid). It's a remake of the first game and has better graphics, controls etc...
I also recommend Fusion as well. I don't know if you can get those from the online stores nintendo has though. They're for the gameboy advance.

As for other m if you can completley tune out the story, then the gameplay is pretty solid. It's not the best (far from it) but still fun.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Play all of them.

No really, play ALL of them, they are THAT good (that is why Other M is SUCH a massive contrast with the rest of the series)

If you really want to at least EXPERIENCE Other M, i suggest to at least READ about it in a single blog:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100&i_id=13373815860I43921400&p=1

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
You should indeed play most of them, but maybe start with the Prime series (in order) since they have a very different yet similar fell to the 2d ones, and they actually have some very VERY good flavor text/lore (accessible in game).

Metroid Fusion is the biggest departure from the series set piece i think, but it is very well executed and you have tons off exploration to do :D

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
The first metroid prime is an absolute must play. It is far, far better that Metroid Prime 3. I would, however, recommend the Gamecube version (if you can find it), as, in my opinion, the unique control scheme is one of the defining aspects of Metroid Prime, and that's lost in the Wii version. However, Wii Metroid Prime is better than no Metroid Prime.

Aside from that, the GBA metroids are good, but not must plays. Zero Mission is probably the better of the two, although Fusion is certainly worth playing.

Avoid Other M and Prime: Hunters. Other M completely butchers Samus as a character, and it's impossible to make Prime: Hunters control in such a way that it's actually enjoyable to play (in my opinion)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Play them all . Every single one . As for Other M . Either playit first or don't play it at all . Since you haven't really gotten into Metroid yet , you may not be as affected to how bad it is . But once you play the other games you will see it right away . Avoid the one on the nontendo DS though .

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
That's funny, I've actually played through Super Metroid for the first time not too long ago, and I'm currently playing through Metroid Prime for the first time as well.

Pretty fun games so far.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Okay, if you generally don't like retro games you will not be able to play the first Metroid. I know because I've tried. I last up to 15 minutes or so before quitting in frustration. Which is why there's Zero Mission! (This probably goes double for Metroid 2, which I have not played)

I started with Corruption, then went to Prime 1, Prime 2, Super Metroid, then Fusion and Zero Mission. Then, you know...Other M. Hunters was in there somewhere. It's pretty fun (assuming you don't have a problem with the control scheme - it's the "buttons with one hand, stylus with the other", although you can switch it to buttons only, which is kind of impossible without a joystick), but it's not a Metroid game or anything.

You know what? Go play Other M. Right now. Yeah. I want to see what someone who hasn't really played Metroid thinks of it. Go on. I'll wait.

If you'd rather not do that...yeah, Trilogy, start with that. Sure. Don't feel bad about using a guide with Prime 2, though (Speaking of...you might want to play the Wii version of 2. I think they adjusted it to make that boss fight a little easier.).

Super Metroid absolutely, and the two GBA ones are good as well. The only thing is that, in hindsight, Super Metroid feels floaty and imprecise, so it's possible (I guess) that if you played the GBA games first you'd find Super Metroid irritating. I doubt it, I'm just overthinking things.

Last of all...play Other M. Or watch Theater Mode (it's been uploaded to Youtube). It's like the Star Wars prequels...it's awful, but you need to witness the awfulness for yourself. This next bit is very important: the blog suggested above is the most in-depth and masterful analysis of, like, anything, I have ever seen, and you MUST read it. But don't spoil Other M for yourself. Unless you want to.

Oh, and some time after you've played Other M (and read the blog), you have to play Fusion again. Just trust me. It's...weird.

There. That's way more than you need to know.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are unforgettable.

Though the Metroid Prime series is god-like.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Metroid Prime is the best Metroid I've played, can't speak about how the wii version affects things though.

Fusion and Zero Mission are both great fun, but I think you either need a GBA or a 3DS to play them, as the wii store doesn't do GBA downloads as far as I know.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Launcelot111 said:
Metroid Prime is the best Metroid I've played, can't speak about how the wii version affects things though.

Fusion and Zero Mission are both great fun, but I think you either need a GBA or a 3DS to play them, as the wii store doesn't do GBA downloads as far as I know.
3DS won't help you - it doesn't play GBA games.

Still have your old DS?

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Vault101 said:
well I mean I already have...kind of

I played super Metroid (but didnt finish) some time ago (and for someone who usually cant stand anything retro it blew me away)

I also played Metroid prime 3 (didn't finish) on the Wii which I absolutely loved

so I'm thinking of digging out my dusty old Wii and starting over from the prime trilogy

aside from super Metroid what other games are worth playing? I hear theres a few on the gameboy advance...and I knoe other M is probably best avoided

and are those games playable without using the gameboy/handheld? doesn't the Wii have a store for this kind of thing? does it still exist? (does it accept paypal?) or is emulation the only options? (am I even allowed to discuss that?)
Try out Other M. You will hate the franchise forever after that.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Dr. Cakey said:
Launcelot111 said:

3DS won't help you - it doesn't play GBA games.

Still have your old DS?
I believe Fusion is available for download on the 3DS.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
They're all great (didn't do that one new wii one) but Super Metroid takes the cake.

The open-endedness it does better than all, every other metroid (save Metroid and Metroid 2) feels quite linear in comparison.

Do what I do. Play Super Metroid over and over again until you can beat it in under 2 hours. Then learn all the ultra tricks so you can work towards 1 hour.

(CAN I GET A MOCKBALL the whistles go WOO)

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Dr. Cakey said:
Last of all...play Other M. Or watch Theater Mode (it's been uploaded to Youtube). It's like the Star Wars prequels...it's awful, but you need to witness the awfulness for yourself. This next bit is very important: the blog suggested above is the most in-depth and masterful analysis of, like, anything, I have ever seen, and you MUST read it. But don't spoil Other M for yourself. Unless you want to.

Oh, and some time after you've played Other M (and read the blog), you have to play Fusion again. Just trust me. It's...weird.

There. That's way more than you need to know.
Why, thank you. I always want to spread the word that logic still exist in this world :D

In my personal note, i would want HIM to play Super M and the Prime Trilogy because i wanna hear the opinion of someone that ISNT affected by "Its a FPS, therefore, it sucks as hard as COD!!! LOGIC!!!!"

I am having Movie Bob flashbacks all of sudden.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
For Gameboy: Zero Mission and Fusion are both phenomenal (I hear Metroid II is also great, but I haven't played it)
For Gamecube/Wii port: Metroid Prime is excellent, but I haven't played the other two
For SNES: You absolutely have to finish Super Metroid

I haven't played Other M, but IMO, just skip it. I don't think it's worth the disappointment.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Really every game barring Other M and Corruption is phenomenal.
Hell, even Hunters is better than Corruption and Other M.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You might also want to check out some Castlevania games too to see if you like them. It's not called Metroidvania for nothing.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Play pretty much everything besides Other M.
You can skip hunters if you feel so inclined.
You can get away with playing Zero Mission instead of 1 as 1 has aged very poorly.