So... is Baby Yoda a M/Gary Sue

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
He's throwing around the Force like nobodies business, including healing people, without anyone teaching him. He is definitely well loved. Also, has about as many lines as Rey /sarcasm. (Sort of.)

Also, is Baby Yoda male or female? I didn't really want to assume their gender, so I added a slash in the title.
 

meiam

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2020
1,373
140
68
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience. Baby Yoda being non human makes that very hard. Plus you pretty much always need some sort of very successful romantic angle, so until there's a Yoda harem I'd say no. Honestly he's closer to a walking plot device, maybe even macguffin, than a character.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,332
253
88
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Meiam said:
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience. Baby Yoda being non human makes that very hard.
Yeah, say that to the thousands of Sonic OC creators.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
Meiam said:
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience. Baby Yoda being non human makes that very hard.
Yeah, say that to the thousands of Sonic OC creators.
I think the most important part of that is Baby Yoda. Sonic OC come straight into the world with their own hip and "completely original" character traits, usually are very important to saving the day, and end up becoming one of the most trusted Characters ever in the Sonic universe.

Baby Yoda is powerful, but very much a baby. People telling it what to do, carrying it around, and basically treating it like a nuke they want to possess. That makes it a Sentient Plot Device more than a M/Gary Sue.

Also, sidebar. Preface this with me being a Nintendo Fanboy growing up. But I really do not get the reason why so many people wanted to be in the sonic universe. The character ran really fast to the right side of the screen.

Ok. That sounds... interesting.

I guess I have to be a Sonic fan to get it, but I struggle to see what there is to be be a fan about anyway. Well, as long as people are happy.
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,536
175
68
ObsidianJones said:
Also, sidebar. Preface this with me being a Nintendo Fanboy growing up. But I really do not get the reason why so many people wanted to be in the sonic universe. The character ran really fast to the right side of the screen.

Ok. That sounds... interesting.

I guess I have to be a Sonic fan to get it, but I struggle to see what there is to be be a fan about anyway. Well, as long as people are happy.
There was this brief period when the Sonic series tried to be plot heavy that lasted for about... give or take, 4 games. There was Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, debatably Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, and most definitely Sonic 06 (which is the main reason Sonic games are not like that anymore).

During that period the Sanic games had a sprawling cast of characters, and those anime as hell plots about ancient monsters and secret government experiments and, that one time, aliens... hell, it even had characters portrayed as kinda, sorta sexual. By which I mean they had a bat with prominent cleavage. Anyway, these are mostly what people think of, when they make Sonic OCs. Well, that or the comics or the 90s cartoon. Like, not the Pingas one, the one where he was a resistance fighter.
 

Batou667

New member
Oct 5, 2011
2,239
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
I guess I have to be a Sonic fan to get it, but I struggle to see what there is to be be a fan about anyway. Well, as long as people are happy.
In the 90s I was a huge Sonic fan. HUUUUGE. Obsessed, as my exasperated parents would probably have told you. I would play the games over and over for hours, and when I was eventually forced off the console I would read the manuals, draw characters from the box art, design my own levels on paper, make elaborate lists and rankings of levels by difficulty, best music, number of secrets, etc. Borderline spectrum behaviour, basically.

And yet it never crossed my mind to self-insert. I liked Sonic precisely because it was clean, sparkly, uncomplicated escapism. I wanted to play as Sonic, I didn't want to muddy the waters by forcing a crummy Batou The Hedgehog OC into the perfectly serviceable and already fleshed out expanded universe.

Perhaps this was because this was all pre-'00s, but the very idea of OC wasn't really in the public consciousness back then. I feel that started to flourish well after the 16 bit heyday, when online message boards started being a thing and saddos realised they could create and share a "persona" with the world. Were Furries a thing before the millennium, for that matter? I'm sure a load of obscure fetishes only because known of due to the internet, too.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,332
253
88
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
ObsidianJones said:
Drathnoxis said:
Meiam said:
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience. Baby Yoda being non human makes that very hard.
Yeah, say that to the thousands of Sonic OC creators.
Snip
I was really just addressing the assertion that being non-human makes it difficult for the character to be a self insert, not whether or not babby Yoda is a Sue.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,766
0
0
I think the thing that makes him not is that it exhausts him. He holds a space rhino for like ten seconds and slips into a coma. Ray holds a starship for entire minutes against a Sith and just runs off, none-the-worse-for-wear, then does space gymnastics that would have made Neo go 'Whoa'

Even OG Yoda after moving Luke's X-Wing was visibly exhausted from it. If Baby Yoda was a Mary Sue, he/she would have held the space rhino for minutes, used the force to summon a blaster, 360 no-scoped the Rhino, did a triple salchow off the backbeam, scored the winning goal in the space world cup, fixed Apollo 11 with a force sneeze, made his/her own soup 'cause they're independent and strong, and saved their own self from the Empire because they're not a damsel that needs a man to save them, all the while holding down a 9-5 job as an editor of a Fashion Magazine in the BIG SPACE CITY.

The point Im making isn't that Mary Sues are just effortlessly powerful, its that they're invulnerable and never any consequences to their risks. Hell Rey, in defiance of the star wars trilogy hero, never gets her hand cut off.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
ObsidianJones said:
Drathnoxis said:
Meiam said:
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience. Baby Yoda being non human makes that very hard.
Yeah, say that to the thousands of Sonic OC creators.
Snip
I was really just addressing the assertion that being non-human makes it difficult for the character to be a self insert, not whether or not babby Yoda is a Sue.
How dare you come here with your "facts" and render my masterful point moot?!

But seriously, gotcha. Sentiment withdrawn.
 

Wintermute_v1legacy

New member
Mar 16, 2012
1,829
0
0
All this time I thought baby yoda was... you know, baby yoda. He's just some guy?

I don't watch star wars, but you can't avoid the memes.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,691
752
118
Country
Argentina
trunkage said:
Also, is Baby Yoda male or female? I didn't really want to assume their gender, so I added a slash in the title.
Do we even know if Yoda is male? Frank Oz is essentially doing his Miss Piggy when voicing him (or her!).
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Wintermute said:
All this time I thought baby yoda was... you know, baby yoda. He's just some guy?

I don't watch star wars, but you can't avoid the memes.
Jon Favreau, the creator of the show, told Disney off for using the term baby Yoda as it's clearly not in the story. Which is completely silly as all Disney is doing is exploiting a meme. They didn't create that mene.

I mean, it's still exploitative. Just not as nefarious as people make Disney out as
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Silentpony said:
I think the thing that makes him not is that it exhausts him. He holds a space rhino for like ten seconds and slips into a coma. Ray holds a starship for entire minutes against a Sith and just runs off, none-the-worse-for-wear, then does space gymnastics that would have made Neo go 'Whoa'

Even OG Yoda after moving Luke's X-Wing was visibly exhausted from it. If Baby Yoda was a Mary Sue, he/she would have held the space rhino for minutes, used the force to summon a blaster, 360 no-scoped the Rhino, did a triple salchow off the backbeam, scored the winning goal in the space world cup, fixed Apollo 11 with a force sneeze, made his/her own soup 'cause they're independent and strong, and saved their own self from the Empire because they're not a damsel that needs a man to save them, all the while holding down a 9-5 job as an editor of a Fashion Magazine in the BIG SPACE CITY.

The point Im making isn't that Mary Sues are just effortlessly powerful, its that they're invulnerable and never any consequences to their risks. Hell Rey, in defiance of the star wars trilogy hero, never gets her hand cut off.
So, breathing heavy after using the force and cutting her arm off would have cured her issue?
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,766
0
0
trunkage said:
Silentpony said:
I think the thing that makes him not is that it exhausts him. He holds a space rhino for like ten seconds and slips into a coma. Ray holds a starship for entire minutes against a Sith and just runs off, none-the-worse-for-wear, then does space gymnastics that would have made Neo go 'Whoa'

Even OG Yoda after moving Luke's X-Wing was visibly exhausted from it. If Baby Yoda was a Mary Sue, he/she would have held the space rhino for minutes, used the force to summon a blaster, 360 no-scoped the Rhino, did a triple salchow off the backbeam, scored the winning goal in the space world cup, fixed Apollo 11 with a force sneeze, made his/her own soup 'cause they're independent and strong, and saved their own self from the Empire because they're not a damsel that needs a man to save them, all the while holding down a 9-5 job as an editor of a Fashion Magazine in the BIG SPACE CITY.

The point Im making isn't that Mary Sues are just effortlessly powerful, its that they're invulnerable and never any consequences to their risks. Hell Rey, in defiance of the star wars trilogy hero, never gets her hand cut off.
So, breathing heavy after using the force and cutting her arm off would have cured her issue?
Actually yeah, that would have fixed a number of issues. The second movie of every Star Wars Trilogy is the good guys get their shit kicked in, the Empire is on the rise, and the hero looses a hand.
Empire Strikes Back. Han in Carbonite, the Rebels forced from the Galaxy, Luke looses a hand, the Empire is on the rise.
Attack of the Clones. Anakin on the way to the Dark Side. The Sith start a war they control both sides on. The Jedi are forced to be part of a war. Anakin loose a hand.
The Last Jedi. The Alliance is all but destroyed. Kylo assumes command of the Galaxy. Fucking LUKE SKYWALKER dies. And Rey...slips into Kylo's Force DMs and gets to see some space tits.

That's it. and up until the second to last scene in the entire Trilogy Rey is invulnerable. And even then, she's perfectly fine. There was no low point for her. The heroes journey is denial of the call, acceptance, initial success, failure and abandonment of the call, and then eventual return and victory. Anakin fails at this, which is why he's a tragic anti-hero. Luke succeeds, which is why in South Park he's sitting next to Jesus and Santa Claus as examples of folk heroes. And Rey...just skips to the end, and wins.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,696
0
0
If the whole explanation for the baby's powers is "because he's just THAT awesome!" and is shown to have no notable flaws on top of it once he grows up then sure, if you have an actual lore explaining it in sensible terms that are consistent with the overarching narrative, the no.


The issue isn't as much that some chars are strong, it's that they either don't earn or asspull that trait for no reason that makes sense. Baby Yoda is not even the protagonist anyhow, so if anything he'd be the character who trains someone super powerful, so he needs to be able of performing that feat and we see his backstory that sets this up.
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Silentpony said:
trunkage said:
Silentpony said:
I think the thing that makes him not is that it exhausts him. He holds a space rhino for like ten seconds and slips into a coma. Ray holds a starship for entire minutes against a Sith and just runs off, none-the-worse-for-wear, then does space gymnastics that would have made Neo go 'Whoa'

Even OG Yoda after moving Luke's X-Wing was visibly exhausted from it. If Baby Yoda was a Mary Sue, he/she would have held the space rhino for minutes, used the force to summon a blaster, 360 no-scoped the Rhino, did a triple salchow off the backbeam, scored the winning goal in the space world cup, fixed Apollo 11 with a force sneeze, made his/her own soup 'cause they're independent and strong, and saved their own self from the Empire because they're not a damsel that needs a man to save them, all the while holding down a 9-5 job as an editor of a Fashion Magazine in the BIG SPACE CITY.

The point Im making isn't that Mary Sues are just effortlessly powerful, its that they're invulnerable and never any consequences to their risks. Hell Rey, in defiance of the star wars trilogy hero, never gets her hand cut off.
So, breathing heavy after using the force and cutting her arm off would have cured her issue?
Actually yeah, that would have fixed a number of issues. The second movie of every Star Wars Trilogy is the good guys get their shit kicked in, the Empire is on the rise, and the hero looses a hand.
Empire Strikes Back. Han in Carbonite, the Rebels forced from the Galaxy, Luke looses a hand, the Empire is on the rise.
Attack of the Clones. Anakin on the way to the Dark Side. The Sith start a war they control both sides on. The Jedi are forced to be part of a war. Anakin loose a hand.
The Last Jedi. The Alliance is all but destroyed. Kylo assumes command of the Galaxy. Fucking LUKE SKYWALKER dies. And Rey...slips into Kylo's Force DMs and gets to see some space tits.

That's it. and up until the second to last scene in the entire Trilogy Rey is invulnerable. And even then, she's perfectly fine. There was no low point for her. The heroes journey is denial of the call, acceptance, initial success, failure and abandonment of the call, and then eventual return and victory. Anakin fails at this, which is why he's a tragic anti-hero. Luke succeeds, which is why in South Park he's sitting next to Jesus and Santa Claus as examples of folk heroes. And Rey...just skips to the end, and wins.
I guess I see most major characters as having plot armour. Even with his hand cut off, I never thought Luke was in any real danger. Sure, it hurts buddy. Don't worry, the story will make you kill him anyway because your too important to die. It's probably why I like Infinity War and Endgame. Major characters were destined to die. No one had plot armour (well, except for the stupidly planned out further movies which kinda ruined the experience. But those weren't the main characters of the first Avengers)

And let me be clear. I do like consequences to actions. For example, Rey using too much power and blowing up a ship was probably the best part of the new movie. It was also undercut a couple of minutes later. Luke gets his hand cut off but its undercut a couple of minutes later with robo-hand. Thor's eye is another example.

Compare this to Civil War where heroes had to go into hiding or ankle monitored. That wasn't fixed for a bunch of movies and had actual real impact on the story. Rhodes injury is a half way in-between. Instead of a plot device curing him, he had to work at it, getting rehab. But it was only a scene so didn't effect the story much.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,766
0
0
trunkage said:
I'm not sure I have a problem with 'plot armor' as it is. I mean I think its reasonable to assume the main character isn't going to die, and the bad guy looses in the end.
For Rey it feels like she has...'story armor'. She's immune to the story. Anything that is supposed to change the story either rolls off her or is immediately undone in the next scene.
 

votemarvel

Regular Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
1,353
2
13
Country
England
I've yet to see the Mandalorian so I'll have to reserve comment on that for now.

As to Rey, things did come far to effortlessly for her and the problem is that they didn't seize that as a plot point.

Have the Emperor there in front of her "have you never wondered why you are so powerful my dear, that abilities come so easily? You draw your power from me. Join me in the dark side and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" (yeah I suck at dialogue.)

Use it essentially as the Last Temptation of Rey. Of course she'd turn down the Emperor and win the day but she would find her powers greatly reduced. With the help of the Jedi texts and Luke's force ghost she starts to learn those abilities again at a little moisture farm on Tatooine.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,578
0
0
votemarvel said:
I've yet to see the Mandalorian so I'll have to reserve comment on that for now.

As to Rey, things did come far to effortlessly for her and the problem is that they didn't seize that as a plot point.

Have the Emperor there in front of her "have you never wondered why you are so powerful my dear, that abilities come so easily? You draw your power from me. Join me in the dark side and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" (yeah I suck at dialogue.)

Use it essentially as the Last Temptation of Rey. Of course she'd turn down the Emperor and win the day but she would find her powers greatly reduced. With the help of the Jedi texts and Luke's force ghost she starts to learn those abilities again at a little moisture farm on Tatooine.
I?d have been down for that. And I can totally hear Ian McDiarmid saying that.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,766
0
0
votemarvel said:
I've yet to see the Mandalorian so I'll have to reserve comment on that for now.

As to Rey, things did come far to effortlessly for her and the problem is that they didn't seize that as a plot point.

Have the Emperor there in front of her "have you never wondered why you are so powerful my dear, that abilities come so easily? You draw your power from me. Join me in the dark side and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" (yeah I suck at dialogue.)

Use it essentially as the Last Temptation of Rey. Of course she'd turn down the Emperor and win the day but she would find her powers greatly reduced. With the help of the Jedi texts and Luke's force ghost she starts to learn those abilities again at a little moisture farm on Tatooine.
That is how it should have been. Props
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,165
155
68
Meiam said:
I think for someone to be a Gary/Mary Sue there need to be the element of self insertion for the author/audience.
Not really. The only real requirement for a Sue character is that their presence bends the established rules of the universe, making everything to orbit around them (like a gravitational well) when it really shouldn't. Call me when Baby Yoda either defeats Darth Vader or brings him back from the Dark Side.
 

Saint of M

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2020
792
25
33
Country
United States
I'm ganna go with Caitsith and the Overly Sarcastic Productions' Red on the definition, or at least when it becomes problematic.

Ridiculously overpowered charecters are a dime a dozen. John Whick, Superman, Master Chief, Stealth Archer build of Dragonborn, exct. exct.

Those with nigh invulnerable plot armor as well. James Bond, Conan the Barbarian, Wiley Coyote, eect..

Or are just too perfect.

MCU Captain America, Jesus Christ, Fropy.

Even self inserts can be great. Nabeshin, Hermony Granger, J. Jonnah Jamison.

The sue at its core revolves around the character being the most awesome thing since ever as its start and end point and does little if anything to expand to anything more meaningful than that.

As is, just going off Watch Mojo, we don't have that problem. Over powered with the force, well that seems par from the course with Yoda's race, and even then the kid only has limited use of it it before passing out. He can heal, force choke, move objects and so on, but stopping the rhino took alot out of him in the same way of Conosuba's Megemi gets whiped out when she does explotion magic.

He's curiosu about things and acts just how a cat or toddler would act (or better yet, a combination of the two).

He also shows signs of fear, joy, confusion, embarisment, and now I'm coppying daddy moments.

If anything is a sue in starwars, its probably BB-8 and even then I will defend my soccer ball of doom till the end of of the internet.
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,815
2,889
118
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
 

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
7,230
1,823
118
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gender
Male
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
Thank you. This is the smartest comment in this thread. Took the words right out of my mouth.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,165
155
68
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.

PS: Yes, it's possible that the author wanted themselves to be a magical alien baby. I have seen weirder authors out there.

EDIT: And if the term Mary Sue becomes meaningless, so be it. It already is heavily misused and rarely for constructive criticism.
 

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,339
25
53
saint of m said:
Stealth Archer build of Dragonborn
You say that as if there were any other possible builds for the Dragonborn.

If anything is a sue in starwars, its probably BB-8 and even then I will defend my soccer ball of doom till the end of of the internet.
I'd say that Artoo is more sue-ish than BB-8.
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
Actual serious question. Why is everyone so worried about terms being used so much they are useless? (As some other example of terms wearing out their use {apparently} sexist and racist)
 

Saint of M

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2020
792
25
33
Country
United States
twistedmic said:
saint of m said:
Stealth Archer build of Dragonborn
You say that as if there were any other possible builds for the Dragonborn.

If anything is a sue in starwars, its probably BB-8 and even then I will defend my soccer ball of doom till the end of of the internet.
I'd say that Artoo is more sue-ish than BB-8.
Sword and Board, Destruction Magic and Alteration Heavy with light armor, run around naked
 

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,558
137
68
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Gender
Male
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
Honestly see little fruitful use of the term at all so kinda wish people would stop using it for a different reason entirely. Sort of like a who even cares if it is at this point, it's an annoying shortcut for people to not really explain why they hate something

Tho I took this thread as a joke
 

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,558
137
68
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Gender
Male
trunkage said:
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
Actual serious question. Why is everyone so worried about terms being used so much they are useless? (As some other example of terms wearing out their use {apparently} sexist and racist)
In this case I don't know.

In the other cases I see it as fake hand wringing to try to slap down an accusation they disagree with. In this case I really can't see the investment anyone would have in doing so for baby Yoda lol
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,426
1,016
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
The Decapitated Centaur said:
Agema said:
Can we please stop calling everything left, right and centre a M/Gary Sue? All it's ever going to achieve is to render the term useless.

Bearing in mind a Mary Sue means an author insertion wish fulfillment of perfection, in order for Baby Yoda to be one, we would have to propose that the author(s) want themselves to be a green, alien baby (with magic powers). Does this strike anyone as likely? No? Then it's not a Mary Sue.

It is not author insertion wish fulfillment just to create an idealised, super-powerful character with impeccable morals.
Honestly see little fruitful use of the term at all so kinda wish people would stop using it for a different reason entirely. Sort of like a who even cares if it is at this point, it's an annoying shortcut for people to not really explain why they hate something

Tho I took this thread as a joke
Not necessarily a joke, more like a shower thought. But no, its not meant to be serious

But then, I don't hand wring over terms like racist, PC, Mary Sue or White Genocide. But I understand that it does for others. I should have expected it

And I do find it funny how certain pundits think that Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue when her big flaw is how arrogant and rash she is, she clearly gets caught through her stupidity and no one really loves her in the movie. But she's an OP woman, so she must be a Mary Sue. (Thus, I'm also gauging others understanding of the term)
 

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
116
0
0
Well, Mary/Gary Sue/Stue isn't simply about power levels, although it can be an indicator.
Another big indicator is they have a tendency to undercut canon characters, that is be better, faster, stronger, etc (queue Daft Punk), prettier than the OG characters. Maybe a love interest to one of the canon characters, maybe not (wish fulfillment department). But another major part is that the M/Gary is always right/ everyone except the Malfoys of the world agree with said character. And then the Malfoys are put in their place, obviously. There is more and not every M/Gary will have every characteristic, but lil Yoda's lack of dialogue makes it harder to have the fawning aspect surrounding most M/Garys. Lil Yoda can come to wrong conclusions (choking out the strike trooper during a friendly arm wrestle) which makes me lean towards not M/Gary.

However, I'm not super psyched out all the force powers lil Yoda is exhibiting so soon, but it's very hard to quibble because he's so darn cute. If this was a six-year old kid running around and spouting off, he wouldn't be nearly so adorable and would probably be roundly hated. I see what Disney is doing- their dark magic of making cute and cuddly animals has been concentrated and perfected- lil Yoda is their final form. I know what they doing, but I cannot resist, I... must.... submit. I accept. You win Disney. Baby Yoda is adorable and my mind thinks no longer.
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,815
2,889
118
trunkage said:
Actual serious question. Why is everyone so worried about terms being used so much they are useless? (As some other example of terms wearing out their use {apparently} sexist and racist)
That's sort of a secondary concern: languages change all the time. My main one is the use of terms in a manner sufficiently loose that other people don't readily understand.

Part of my objection is that we seem to have an incredibly rapid turnover of terms these days. They exist, morph vastly in a few years and die. But the point of semantics is for communication: what does it do for communication when terms get abruptly created, evolve at breakneck pace with insecure and variable meaning (often among only limited demographic groups), and disappear?

To me, it's just a recipe to dimish our ability to communicate with each other, to end up bogged down in semantic confusion and even linguistic segregation. Sometimes we have simply decreased ability to impart meaning, because we've blown up a perfectly good term to define a specific concept.

I think also there can be an element of laziness to it: we know a term is a pejorative, so we throw that prejudicial pejorative at something we don't like to poison the well before the discussion even starts: "nazi", "SJW", etc.
 

irishda

New member
Dec 16, 2010
968
0
0
I'm just saddened by the Force being overplayed in Star Wars in general. The Mandalorian was initially interesting to me because it promised a series focused away from the CONSTANT Jedi drama and dealing with people who can't macguffin their way out of every situation. And then it immediately pivots to exactly that, except worse because it doesn't seem intent on examining the effects surrounding the circumstances of having a young force user buddying around with a bounty hunter from a war-like people.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,165
155
68
irishda said:
I'm just saddened by the Force being overplayed in Star Wars in general. The Mandalorian was initially interesting to me because it promised a series focused away from the CONSTANT Jedi drama and dealing with people who can't macguffin their way out of every situation. And then it immediately pivots to exactly that, except worse because it doesn't seem intent on examining the effects surrounding the circumstances of having a young force user buddying around with a bounty hunter from a war-like people.
That reminds me how the first Star Wars: Dark Forces game had nothing to do with the Force (it was simply a cool Doom-clone Star Wars FPS); but in the sequel the protagonist awakens his Jedi powers.