So, it hasn't been raining for SIX MONTHS here, which is unprecedented....

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
I'm terrified and I need to wind out.

I saw the river people used to swim into become a little stream I can cross by walking.

The lake in which birds swimmed has become a little dirty pool.

The terrain is so dry it almost feels like sand.

All of this happened during only the course of half a year: it hasn't been raining since around October 2016.

Keep in mind this is the OPPOSITE of the natural climate in my area: I live in a mountain zone and usually rain and snow are more regular than the sun.

The temperatures are currently 6-7 Celsius degrees above what they should be.

The long term weather forecasts say that the heat will further increase and there's no rain on the horizon.

What worries me the most is that newspapers don't talk about it. You know the situation is REALLY bad when newspapers don't want to cash in on the to panic.

So.... I'm terrified and I need you guys to tell me everything is alright. :(

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
6 months is pretty normal in most parts of Australia. It's pretty hard to tell whether that's weird or not...

But, you know... global warming is a thing and people should be more frightened.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Clearly, it's the Europeans and their rain stealing machines.

Ahmadinejad is on to you.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Its fine, the rain is the least of your problems. Always remember never look into a mirror for longer than 1min, or she will find you. And once she knows where you are, she never stops.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Silentpony said:
Its fine, the rain is the least of your problems. Always remember never look into a mirror for longer than 1min, or she will find you. And once she knows where you are, she never stops.
Will she bring the rain? or at least does she have good taste in what's on netflix? I have some snacks, and probably should not eat all of them.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
Silentpony said:
Will she bring the rain? or at least does she have good taste in what's on netflix? I have some snacks, and probably should not eat all of them.
The stories from the old world say she can only be placated with a spinach and artichoke dip and reruns of the Rat Patrol

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Looks out the window at the second week of rainy weather*
I know that's bad for your ecosystem, but the stupid monkey part of my brain is kind of envious.
Where hasn't it rained in 6 months?

Sep 24, 2008
Alarming trends are popping up all over the world.

I simply can not tell you it's alright. What I can tell you is that if it is man-made, it can be fixed by man. Even if it's just as changing what we are doing and waiting decades for the healing to take place.

Now we just need people to be less prick-like to make that change happen.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Nature Guardian said:
So.... I'm terrified and I need you guys to tell me everything is alright. :(
Sorry, but everything is NOT alright. About all you can do is encourage everyone you know to never vote for a politician or party who claims there is any kind of doubt about human-caused climate change.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Can't be California. The weather there is slowly returning to normal, actually. I dunno where NG is referring to, but I'll apologize in advanced for Pittsburgh stealing it all, if that'll help.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
The stories from the old world say she can only be placated with a spinach and artichoke dip and reruns of the Rat Patrol
What did they do in the times before Rat Patrol?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
It has been raining less then usual for the last year here, which coupled with an increasing number of people moving to my city means that we've faced a constant water shortage, to the point that politicians are discussing water rationing in the summer if the downfall doesn't increase. This is, as far as I know, the first time in modern history that a Swedish municipality has even mentioned water rationing.

On the other hand, I am sure we'll get one of those years soon when it rains to much that crops get ruined by too much water instead. Keep in mind that we are still on the tail end of El Ni?o and that generally means less rain and high temperatures in areas that are not South America.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Gethsemani said:
It has been raining less then usual for the last year here, which coupled with an increasing number of people moving to my city means that we've faced a constant water shortage, to the point that politicians are discussing water rationing in the summer if the downfall doesn't increase. This is, as far as I know, the first time in modern history that a Swedish municipality has even mentioned water rationing.

This is exactly the situation we're facing here: for the very first time, we're discussing rationing water during summer.

On the other hand, I am sure we'll get one of those years soon when it rains to much that crops get ruined by too much water instead. Keep in mind that we are still on the tail end of El Ni?o and that generally means less rain and high temperatures in areas that are not South America.
Actually: they're predicting a 50% chance of El Nino for next year. We're on the tail of the previous El Nino event AND ANOTHER IS GOING TO START!

This whole climate change is getting to me, and I'm wondering if I am being anxious or if it's real. I'm getting genuinely anguished about the situation. Is it me or is it normal?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
I simply can not tell you it's alright. What I can tell you is that if it is man-made, it can be fixed by man. Even if it's just as changing what we are doing and waiting decades for the healing to take place.
More like centuries.

Nature Guardian said:
This whole climate change is getting to me, and I'm wondering if I am being anxious or if it's real. I'm getting genuinely anguished about the situation. Is it me or is it normal?
The situation being normal, or being worried being normal? The former, no (well, it's the new normal, I guess), the latter not at all. There's good reason to be worried, things are going to get worse. In large part because of a lack of will to do anything about it.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Nature Guardian said:
Actually: they're predicting a 50% chance of El Nino for next year. We're on the tail of the previous El Nino event AND ANOTHER IS GOING TO START!
I am not saying we should ignore climate change, only that naturally occurring phenomena, like El Ni?o, volcanic eruptions, etc., can produce temporary variations that are far beyond what human created climate change currently can do. When taken together, they produce some very nasty extremes though.

Should we worry? Maybe. On the other hand, I am re-watching the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation and there was one episode that was all about the dangers of holes in the ozone layer, which was the big environmental scare of the late-80's and early-90's. Today we don't even speak about it because we found ways to stop the ozone holes from growing and even ways to make them diminish faster.
The current problem with discussing climate change is that it is fairly established that it is happening, but the consequences are not severe enough that we are suffering from them constantly and permanently. Once they are kicked up a few notches, you'll no doubt see a rush to do something about them, even from doubters like Trump or the Chinese government. There are ways to reverse climate change and once humanity decides to stop it, I am quite certain we'll figure out more and better ways to deal with it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Thaluikhain said:
ObsidianJones said:
More like centuries.
Well, it's not like anyone here is going to wait for centuries.

Gethsemani said:
There are ways to reverse climate change and once humanity decides to stop it, I am quite certain we'll figure out more and better ways to deal with it.
I sense a false sense of optimism here. Unless you're looking like really far into the future.