So, i've been hearing things about Guild Wars 2...

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Another thing that's interesting here, and where I believe the crux lies: How much time A DAY do you spend playing GW2?

I am looking at playing no more than one or two hours on weekdays, and maybe four or five on weekends, maximum. I would also bet that the opinion that "the game has no endgame content/is boring" is heavily correlated with people used to spending more than 10-20 hours on a MMO per week, whereas the "I enjoy it/MMO for people with a life" opinion seems to be more prominent with people closer to my own time budget.

Am I in the ballpark?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
Another thing that's interesting here, and where I believe the crux lies: How much time A DAY do you spend playing GW2?

I am looking at playing no more than one or two hours on weekdays, and maybe four or five on weekends, maximum. I would also bet that the opinion that "the game has no endgame content/is boring" is heavily correlated with people used to spending more than 10-20 hours on a MMO per week, whereas the "I enjoy it/MMO for people with a life" opinion seems to be more prominent with people closer to my own time budget.

Am I in the ballpark?
It's a question of when you reach a point of content exhaustion.

I would put the over-under on that at around 200-300 hours, 400+ if you are cheerfully completionist.

If you only play 20 odd hours a week, you're going to reach that point a lot slower than someone playing 60-80 hours a week.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Monsterfurby said:

Am I in the ballpark?
the fact that its free to play alone means its more suited to your time budget. i love the game. ive only been playing for a week but i play every chance i get and have loved every second of it (though i still havent picked a main). i have not encountered any empty feeling. very rarely have i been doing an event or quest in which there werent at least a few random people there doing it too. but im like you, im far from a hardcore mmo player. ive never played an mmo long enough to even reach level cap. i cant tell you what the endgame is like but i can tell you that playing so far has been fun and im not paying a fee. if i reach 80 and run out of shit to do, i still had fun getting to that point and didnt have to pay $15/month. thats worth the money in my book

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Monsterfurby said:

Am I in the ballpark?
Well, I play around 5 hours an evening for 4 nights a week, then most of the weekend. I had the release week off work, and so played it all then. I still feel like I've only scratched the surface content-wise. I've still not even taken a character to the end of the personal story, nor even visited the final zone (I play a lot of alts).

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
Monsterfurby said:

Am I in the ballpark?
Seems about right.

I play an hour per day, once in a while I push for two hours if that "One more event..." addiction thing happens. I play 0 hours during weekends.

I'm a pretty decent player, and the time I do play is generally well-spent (Insofar as advancing as fast as possible within that amount of time) but the feeling I get is that I wont be doing the endgame content yet when the expansions start.

I also play alts... ... And I can't see why someone wouldn't in this game. The classes do play significantly different. It's not just different roles, but rather completely different experiences entirely.

I can see, though, that if you play 80 hours per week, you'll eat through the game fast. But then... Heck, play something else, come back when an expansion is released. You're not paying monthly, so you're not losing anything.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I'll keep it short. If you don't like PvP, it has no end game. I have been playing steady since the 3 day head start. I have been level 80 for 3 weeks now, and do not see myself stopping anytime soon. The game has improved now that the population has spread out. It used to be every time an event happened, it was Zerg rushed. Without that going on, it is starting to feel a bit more organic. There are definitely some things that need improved, but that is what expansions are for. The base game is solid. If you beat it and can't find anything to do, I don't know why you are playing an MMO. I have been putting in a lot of time into the game and I still have a lot of content to see. Entire maps, dungeons, gear, etc.

If someone somehow already managed to gobble up all that content picked clean to the bone, then it clearly was better then they are letting on. If someone thinks there wasn't enough to keep playing, fair enough. However, 99% of all MMOs base launch have no end game. Claiming that as a negative seems futile. It has an end game with WvW but that is all it has so far which, I'll admit, isn't much. But it IS something. Find a guild, help newb members, explore for the fun of it, etc. There is plenty to do and the environments are accommodating. I am still finding crap on maps I thought I knew. Cubby passages, cool scenery, jumping puzzles, etc. The level cap and personal story is NOT all this game has to offer. The story is pretty junk IMO. It's cliche crap that isnt even polished that well.

Well, I promised I would keep it short, it's bedtime. I will go in depth if someone wants me to but for now, this is fine.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
I've been 80 for a few weeks. I don't understand where the end game complaints are coming from. I still have tons of stuff that I want to do. Right now I'm working on crafting exotic gear for myself. Doing event chains in the level 80 zone for karma. I like to participate in WvWvW a decent amount. I want to do some story mode (and exploration mode) dungeons.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
I was seeing this thread earlier but was too lazy or something. And now, after skimming through the comments so far, I can be lazy again and just say:

+1 ;)

Seriously, I haven't seen much since I only have been playing for the last couple of days and I'm in the same boat with you in regards to playing time (evenings, my lvl 22 Ranger is having a beer in some Norn pub right now), but, yeah, just go and get it. Given how there are no subscription fees and in relation to other games and their prices, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. It's really nice, that.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Thyunda said:
I'm sixty hours in and level.....42 I think. Human engineer. The best class. Ever. I won't accept any argument. Stats be damned, I get to use a flamethrower, a rifle and I get to throw wrenches at people. And my shoes explode.
Trenchcoats, bombs, grenades, turrets. And if you picked an Asura you'd have your own personal golems. Including a controllable robot suit.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Idocreating said:
Thyunda said:
I'm sixty hours in and level.....42 I think. Human engineer. The best class. Ever. I won't accept any argument. Stats be damned, I get to use a flamethrower, a rifle and I get to throw wrenches at people. And my shoes explode.
Trenchcoats, bombs, grenades, turrets. And if you picked an Asura you'd have your own personal golems. Including a controllable robot suit.
For a while I had this badass trenchcoat, but I ran out of transmutation stones and ended up having to switch up for better stats but worse appearance. While exploring the Ashford Plains, I came across a low-level trenchcoat from one of the renown icons. By now I'd explored a fair bit and wound up with a decent number of stones, so I immediately bought it, swapped the stats with my current outfit, and now I'm in a charcoal-and-ruby trenchcoat again. Where I belong.

On the time note - I am the least hardcore MMO player ever. If I get caught up in something I might play for five hours straight. But only if I get caught up. I haven't played in a couple of days, but I'm in no hurry. I'm not paying by the hour so I don't have to play by it to get my money's worth. Sixty hours dropped on a £50 game. Xbox games are between £35 and £45 and I have a box full of them that I finished beneath ten hours. I bought most of them used, but that's not the point, because whoever's copy made its way into my hands spent £40 on a ten hour game. I spend £10 more and get six times the time and enjoyment out of it and I've only just reached halfway. Definitely the MMO for people with a life.