So I've finally gotten around to playing Tomb Raider...

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Only two hours or so in. It's fine so far. Bit heavy on the QTEs. Seriously one fight had four QTEs, that is like five QTEs too many. But I digress...

Okay so this one thing is really bothering me, and it's going to seem very fussy and petty, but it's driving me nuts. You know in the very beginning, when she falls down, and that iron rod goes RIGHT through her side, right? That major puncture wound. And she's staggering around and bleeding and moaning.

And then right after that she's leaping around and jumping and rolling and taking headers off 10 foot high cliffs and running about and scrambling along the ground and SERIOUSLY could they not have taken 30 seconds to show her at least doing some cursory video-game level first aid? I mean she's sloshing through torso deep filthy water at one point and she STILL hasn't attended to this very serious wound, which is no doubt now violently infected. That's assuming she's not still back on the beach, bleeding out, and this is all a fever dream.

Seriously it bothers me SO MUCH just patch up your fucking wound!
Let's just say you're going to get really frustrated with that wound thing as you go through the game

I got it in the summer sale and biggest problem I had with it is just how rapidly Lara goes from "oh my god I just called a man" to screw it I'll kill them all and not care. It's literally about 2mins before you start pistoling people down.

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
GZGoten said:
in game time how many days does she spend in the island? Maybe she got treated when she got back, for all we know the time lapse between the first and the second game was all spent making out with Sam in a hospital bed...

also isn't that type of wound an action hero trope? Joel from Last of Us, Nathan from Uncharted... I can't think of anything else but I'm sure it's in movies too, the whole falling on a sharp thing and getting out of it alive and well to prove how badass you are is a common trope in action stories, something that only The Last Of Us managed to pull off well, everybody else has healing factor
You will recall when Joel got wounded, he was layed up for at least a month, probably 2, and only got better because Ellie got him some antibiotics... Laura has no such time lapse or excuse

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kukakkau said:
I got it in the summer sale and biggest problem I had with it is just how rapidly Lara goes from "oh my god I just called a man" to screw it I'll kill them all and not care. It's literally about 2mins before you start pistoling people down.
You know...I recently killed that guy, and I didn't read her reaction as "Oh noes, I killed a man!" but more psychic trauma/stress from the life threatening situation she just escaped. I saw it more as "Ohhhhh fuck I almost died OMG OMG OMG" as opposed to weeping for the lost future of the random would be rapey murderer guy.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
The game would have been a lot more fun if everything was realistic and Lara required constant medical attention and rest for the rest of the game and you just had to sit right by the fire while you were saved by Conrad Roth. He could come back every hour and tell you about how he was fighting a guerrilla war with crazy natives, and in the mean time you could play a minigame where Lara tries to eat canned soup.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
NoMercy Rider said:
My memory could be fuzzy, considering I haven't played the game in the few months, but I seem to recall...

That Lara sticks the head of an arrow into the campfire during the first night and cauterizes her wound, quite painfully I might add.

While not a perfect solution, it would enable her to keep going without bleeding out. Of course, I could be completely confusing this with a different game, if so, just carry on and ignore this post. But even if correct, there are countless other unrealistic aspects of the game.
True. But realistically cauterizing the wound closed on the outside isn't going to stop internal hemorrhaging nor an infection such as peritonitis. Not that I actually want to see too much realism in video games. It would be a titch pathetic to have your hero/heroine die from something as silly as tetanus. It's just I deplore terrible or just plain lazy script writing skills. And this time round Tomb Raider is choc full of them.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
The game would have been a lot more fun if everything was realistic and Lara required constant medical attention and rest for the rest of the game and you just had to sit right by the fire while you were saved by Conrad Roth. He could come back every hour and tell you about how he was fighting a guerrilla war with crazy natives, and in the mean time you could play a minigame where Lara tries to eat canned soup.
Well I *did* say I would've been happy with some tossed off video-game level "first aid". Even having Lara run over a turkey and seeing her health bar judder upwards would've been an improvement.

That said that was hilarious...so applause for you, good ser.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Klagnut said:
Women can bleed constantly for up to 5 days without dying.

It's an outright fact and something which I think the designers have tried to incorporate into the game here.
Uh.

I've also bled for five days straight and survived.

The difference is that I had the world's worst hangnail and Lara was impaled.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
You will recall when Joel got wounded, he was layed up for at least a month, probably 2, and only got better because Ellie got him some antibiotics... Laura has no such time lapse or excuse
right which is why I said everybody else has healing factor; especially Laura. Being Wolverine's daughter gave her an even better healing factor. But Lara I agree she had no excuse to be able to heal such a big wound, still if she had just rolled over and died that would have been one really short and depressing game :/

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Kukakkau said:
You know...I recently killed that guy, and I didn't read her reaction as "Oh noes, I killed a man!" but more psychic trauma/stress from the life threatening situation she just escaped. I saw it more as "Ohhhhh fuck I almost died OMG OMG OMG" as opposed to weeping for the lost future of the random would be rapey murderer guy.
and later her dialog implies she is slightly worried about the fact that she doesn't feel bad about killing him so I don't see the disconnect people often complain about here other than the fact that she ridiculously badass for a 20 something who has only ever use a gun or bow for sport (but then, the games not going to force you to have shit aim and be freaking out while you control her).

She apologized to the deer she hunted but that deer hadn't tried to kill or rape her or her friends.
Mycroft Holmes said:
Ah but he screwed his leg so he wouldn't be able to do much more than coach you on eating canned soup, hobble around a bit and hope like hell the others find you before you both die (and then likely die even if they did from infection).
FUN!

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
rhizhim said:
carnex said:
rhizhim said:
[
prometheus wound logic. you know, where she is doing sommersaults right after having a cesarean.
That's almost 100 years into the future. Who knows what medication will be available then. To loosely quote book "Bill, the Galactic Hero"

"Take three of these and you will laugh as they saw your head off"
this would work if she wouldnt just suddenly remember every 20-30 minuites that she has a friggin huge wound that is closed by huge clamps and touch her belly in pain.
Your point being? To repeat myself, who knows what drugs we will have then. Maybe drugs that make us selectable about pain and ones that override our selfpreserving systems taht would allow us to do ridiculous things like that.

As for Lara Croft and behaviour.
She is established as somewhat weak and really inexpirienced but stubborn, then she is stabbed more than half way through her abdomen, stand few meters from large explosion with back tourned to it day later, survives waterfall slides, 20+ meter drops, high speed impacts and bone-breaking tumble hours later. And then, and only then she finally cauterises her stab-wound that is two thumbs wide with lighter heated arrowhead. I'm sorry but that goes far beyond my suspension of disbelief. And I never had problem with her jumping arround T-Rex while filling him with lead.

It's just sad that they made Marry Jane out of her. If they kept it down a bit game would leave much better tase in my mouth. Than again, gameplay left a lot to wish for also. Not that it was booring or anything, jut that where was so much more potential instad of trying to copy uncharted down to a tee. I actually enjoyed when I could use stealth, and felt that "puzzles" were ridiculouly easy.

Ghostfreak

Oct 2, 2013
This game bothered me so much...I mean I liked it but didn't it feel like to anyone else you had played this game a million times? It didn't really bring any new or innovative things to the genre or series for that matter...My thoughts on this game are pretty much summed up in this comic...

http://www.8bitgamer.com/comic/tomb-raider-same-shit/

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Only two hours or so in. It's fine so far. Bit heavy on the QTEs. Seriously one fight had four QTEs, that is like five QTEs too many. But I digress...

Okay so this one thing is really bothering me, and it's going to seem very fussy and petty, but it's driving me nuts. You know in the very beginning, when she falls down, and that iron rod goes RIGHT through her side, right? That major puncture wound. And she's staggering around and bleeding and moaning.

And then right after that she's leaping around and jumping and rolling and taking headers off 10 foot high cliffs and running about and scrambling along the ground and SERIOUSLY could they not have taken 30 seconds to show her at least doing some cursory video-game level first aid? I mean she's sloshing through torso deep filthy water at one point and she STILL hasn't attended to this very serious wound, which is no doubt now violently infected. That's assuming she's not still back on the beach, bleeding out, and this is all a fever dream.

Seriously it bothers me SO MUCH just patch up your fucking wound!
Hey lara gets to shrug off stupid wounds just like the menz in video games too lol

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
How can I not have it? SF has a luxury of pulling things out of place where sun doesn't shine. Force, Turbo Lasers, Phasers... you name it.

And by selective painkiller i meant painkiller that kills only certain sensations of pain or only certain area of body while leavin that part perfectly functional.

Yea, Nathan Drake and desert was immersion breaking for me too. It's a pitty too, rest of the game is just plain awesome for what it is.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
KevinHe92 said:
You mean just like when Nathan was shot in Uncharted 2 and was jumping around in no time?

Why...video games, of course.
Eh, you can make a point that Nathan Drake was jumping around during that section because of adrenaline. He passes out, gets saved by Tenzin who carries him back to the village and where he gets all bandaged up and healed. The time between him passing out and waking up is never stated, so it could have been anywhere from a day to over a week. Not exactly enough time to completely get over a bullet wound, but at least it's more realistic than Lara Croft getting better because she sat by a fire for a few minutes.

But yeah, video games. They just wanted her to seem vulnerable, but still make the game fun, so to that end, she gets wounded very graphically, and then heals moments later so that it doesn't matter.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
NathLines said:
She's also the best bowman in the entire world, apparently(I have good aim D=).
That's the other thing that bothers me about the game. The fact that lara is suddenly an expert at using a bow and arrow, a weapon which is well known for taking a lot of time and effort to be able to use proficiently. One of the reasons the crossbow exists because it took so long to train a good archer.

And not even the courtesy of dropping a line about lara having grown up using a bow and arrow(unless I missed it somewhere).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dalisclock said:
NathLines said:
She's also the best bowman in the entire world, apparently(I have good aim D=).
That's the other thing that bothers me about the game. The fact that lara is suddenly an expert at using a bow and arrow, a weapon which is well known for taking a lot of time and effort to be able to use proficiently. One of the reasons the crossbow exists because it took so long to train a good archer.

And not even the courtesy of dropping a line about lara having grown up using a bow and arrow(unless I missed it somewhere).
You missed it. It's never actually clear how long she's been shooting a bow, but they do address the fact that Roth taught her how to use one, along with a host of other survival skills. She's just never had to use any of those skills in a real situation until the island.