So Japan built a real life mech...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009

HAHAHAHA! YES! I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE ALIVE TO DO THIS, SO HERE IT GOES!

*ahem* METAL GEAR!

(Someone was gonna do it eventually, and i just happened to be the escapist prepared to take that step)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I don't care if it is practical or not. I just really really want one.

Also only firing while smiling? Not creepy in anyway.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Mr.K. said:
snip
If they can someday be made even half as mobile as animals/humans their combat superiority will be unmatched, all current combat vehicles need to sit in direct line of fire before they can engage, a mech does not.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
snip
Technology will reach a point where this is practical.
But what would be the point? We've coming into an age where satellite can pinpoint a target from space for technicians to remotely destroy via unmanned drones and long range missiles. As technology increases that's only going to become more and more prevalent! And hell if they don't want to do that there's also tactical fighter aircraft, which are to the point right now of having near pinpoint accuracy while being nearly undetectable by radar. This is part of why tanks are quickly becoming obsolete, the other reason is that technology has reached a point where a single soldier on foot can carry weaponry capable of destroying that tank... which begs the question, what's the point of the tank?

And by extension what would be the point of the mech? Stand around and look impressive? It wont be nearly as mobile as a soldier so it wont have any use indoors meanwhile above ground it's just as exposed and vulnerable as any other vehicle. It's just a bipedal expensive target is all.

They're a fun idea and I fully support mech being made simply for the reason of hell, who doesn't want to drive a mech? But they've no use in war, not anymore.

What I want? Mech Paintball tournaments. Now that's something I'd pay for!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Palademon said:
Tony said:
Some years from now, we'll either have a thousand Benders or a thousand Gundam. Maybe even a Gurenn Lagann remake. To the Time Stasis chamber!
Edit: OT: I can only hope Top Gear reviews this.
Now I've got the image in my head of the Top Gear team building their own by welding bits of different cars together and then those bits gradually falling off during operation. High probability of it catching fire.

Suidobashi Heavy Industry. Precursor to Murakumo Millenium? Time will tell, but the moment their Human Plus program takes off I'm signing up.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
The Madman said:
What I want? Mech Paintball tournaments. Now that's something I'd pay for!
Curses, ninja'd!

I can't wait to see the model that has legs instead of wheels. We're one step closer to having real working AT-AT's!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
YES!!!!!!

Ok, now I have to take super advantage of the stock-market and become a master of something while I'm still young and make two million to buy this.

This thing IS AWESOME and I would totally drive it around neighborhoods to make people go "Wow look at how rich and handsome he is."

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
Sees a working mech on youtube,

reads comments on escapist,

People arguing about the practicality and/or it not being their favourite anime mech.

A lot of dour individuals on this site.
Right? If I was rich, I would roll around in this over a Ferrari.

This is fucking fun personified. A personal robot I get to drive? I don't want to go to war, I want to drive a ROBOT! Mech! Gundam! AC!

And shoot my friends with water cannons and BBs! In my 2 mil backyard which is now a mech playground. And how I will LARP. Oh how.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
My favourite part is when the LOHAS launcher gets explained. I mean, its accuracy is more or less described as "It'll hit...eventually".

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I'd totally believe that, if it weren't for the smile to fire function!

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Hehe, this is epic.
Even if if it's only CG ... But knowing them Japanese, this most likely exists as a prototype.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I would be scared as shit if the military got their hands on...never mind, they are probably already making a military version with real missiles and bullets, plus off road legs or such. Hell they are probably making a real Gundam after this, now I would sign up for the Military if I get a Gundam.

Still...the smile feature...wow, it sounds like it is designed for psychos and it would suck more if you were the occasional happy pilot and you killed/injured everyone. o_O

Still sounds cool, and it is another step in technology/war weapons...good or bad it depends for now.

(I'd buy one and drive it on the highway, lol, no one would mess with me...unless they had an RPG. X_X)

Captcha: go berserk.

Umm, not yet. That would not be good. D:

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
StormShaun said:
Still sounds cool, and it is another step in technology/war weapons...good or bad it depends for now.
Uhm, no.

Military mechs don't get shown in YouTube videos. This is a very expensive toy.
The actual military mechs I guarantee you will be using Asimo type legs, licensed from Honda. :) Military has the bucks unlike civilians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASIMO

But most of all ...
Actually weaponised robots are kinda secret, but no doubt, already in development. We have enough know how nowadays to make an autonomous Abrams tank for example. And that shit is way more terrifying than smile based trigger.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
The robot fires it's Gatling guns when the pilot SMILES? That is actually evil, morbid, and awesome at the same time.
I'm still waiting for a punchline on that one...can someone please hug me for a while? Just until I fall asleep?

I would like to buy one but mainly so that I can protect myself from other people who own one. Looks like we've made it to the Future.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
So, it's pretty much a giant toy?

You know, if you can drop over 2 mil and not break a sweat, I'm pretty sure everything you buy is practically a toy. So I'm okay with this! Not gonna lie though, I want to steal one, modify it a bit, and become a supervillain. Make up some bullshit backstory, rob a couple of banks, you get the idea.