So Japan built a real life mech...

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
So, Japan.

Can we expect the clothing seen in the video to be the standard uniform for female pilots of this mech?

Eddie the head said:
It's cool but I doubt it's practical. A WW2 tank could likely take it down with little effort. But anyway cool project.
now I'm thinking of WWII with these things in it.

Solo-Wing said:
It would be the ultimate Riot Control weapon though.
All it needs is a rocket punch and a mutant population
xPrometheusx said:
Anget Colslaw said:
I will drive around in that thing and reenact this scene [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjab76TJ3c] everyday for the rest of my life
XD You stole the Megas reference. I was gonna do that!

I miss that show...
I'm going out of my way to make every reference I can. Besides, chicks dig the giant robot references

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
You were beaten to it Japan .... all hail robot man.

He is destined to take over the world.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Three issues;

1) It's too slow on a pivot to be practical.
2) 3G access tells me that it can be hacked and the pilot can be overridden.
3) The "smile shot" is obviously invented by madmen, for use by other madmen.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The Madman said:
I know I'm being the nerdy one by saying this but there's a reason there have been no mech until now (Apparently), and that's because as a fighting machine they're just ridiculously impractical.
You do know that has been said about every major technological development?
Guns were considered impractical, vehicles were considered impractical, electricity, electronic devices, computers,... airplanes were even deemed impossible.
Yet here we are now years later with all that so common it doesn't even impress us anymore.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
If I win the lottery, I am going to buy a bunch of these things so that my friends and I can roam around town and be awesome. This is the beginning, friends. It's only a matter of time before I finally get that Madcat I've always wanted.

Also, can you imagine just driving this thing up to the DMV and asking to register it?

"Yes, I'd like to register my vehicle, please."
"Certainly, sir. What make and model is it?"
"Suidobashi Kuratas. It's a giant robot."

They would look at you like you're crazy, but then you show them. You show them all...
By the way, can I get this thing with heavy armor plating and light tank treads instead of the little wheels? Those look like weak points to me.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Mr.K. said:
The Madman said:
I know I'm being the nerdy one by saying this but there's a reason there have been no mech until now (Apparently), and that's because as a fighting machine they're just ridiculously impractical.
Guns were considered impractical, vehicles were considered impractical, electricity, electronic devices, computers,... airplanes were even deemed impossible.
Yet here we are now years later with all that so common it doesn't even impress us anymore.
All those things were impractical (and dangerous) in their first incarnations, like this thing.
Give it time (and investment) and then I can see something like this being put to good use. As is, it's fairly lame... and I'm not talking about the soda rockets and BB guns, the whole thing is just...

... you know damned well what I'm getting at.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Mr.K. said:
The Madman said:
The difference is that the reason most of those were considered 'impractical' is because the technology simply wasn't at a level to make them widely useful yet. Even then however their promise was such that guns, to use one as an example, even as basic and unpredictable as they were early on nevertheless can be traced back hundreds of years. It's just a brilliant idea; a weapon anyone can use that kills efficiently. Before guns people actually had to do things like learn and train in a chosen weapon before they could be proficient with it, that's why you had things like knights, samurai or hoplites. Guns evened the battlefield for anyone capable of affording one and even in its earliest designs people knew that which is why the idea stuck around till it was made useful. Same with your other examples.

Mech on the other hand serve no purpose that isn't already being filled via more efficient means and the technology to produce a 'mech' has been around for ages, no ones just bothered to take the time to make one efficiently and then improve on the design.

Don't get me wrong they look neat in fiction but the Mech serves no purpose on a modern battlefield, the future of battle is all about either advanced multi-purpose infantry or total air domination. Even tanks, like Battleship before them, are on their way out. The age of big burly metal things is fading whether they be on treads or on robotic legs.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Im not sure if thats super awesome or super lame. It needs real weapons dammit. Or Lasers, Lasers are also fine.

For a first attempt, I give it a pass. Its pretty neat.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Anget Colslaw said:
So, Japan.

Can we expect the clothing seen in the video to be the standard uniform for female pilots of this mech?
I think it's better with the clothes she's wearing :D.

OT:This is awesome,but it needs more lasers and TOW missiles.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
DO WANT.

There is something hilariously sociopathic about a weapon that is fired by smiling. Plus, if I were piloting it'd probably never stop shooting.

This is especially funny considering it's a real thing that is being produced and sold.

Captcha: barking mad. Yeah, it kind of is...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
GTwander said:
All those things were impractical (and dangerous) in their first incarnations, like this thing.
I'm not saying this is perfect, far from it, I'm simply commenting on the blind dismissal of new underdeveloped technology.

The Madman said:
Mech on the other hand serve no purpose that isn't already being filled via more efficient means and the technology to produce a 'mech' has been around for ages, no ones just bothered to take the time to make one efficiently and then improve on the design.
The tech might have been there but noone is putting money behind this development, much like the electric car, which is a very simplistic working concept over 200 years old, but even with fuel supplies running low barely anyone gives it a second thought.
Meanwhile these mechs could only be done within the last decade, and the complexity behind it's maneuvering systems is like nothing that was ever used before.

If they can someday be made even half as mobile as animals/humans their combat superiority will be unmatched, all current combat vehicles need to sit in direct line of fire before they can engage, a mech does not.