So Japan built a real life mech...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mr.K. said:
If they can someday be made even half as mobile as animals/humans their combat superiority will be unmatched, all current combat vehicles need to sit in direct line of fire before they can engage, a mech does not.
That's what we invented artillery and long range missiles for. The era of direct, head-to-head confrontation for anything but infantry is coming to an end anyway.

Yeah mechs like this will become available as construction tools and maybe riot control. But as war machines? Nah.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
so, anyone else notice her grinning like an idiot on the phone? leave the safety off and watch the hilarity...

I would love to ditch my car for this thing, I don't care if it would take me 6 times longer to get home from uni, it would be worth it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
That's what we invented artillery and long range missiles for. The era of direct, head-to-head confrontation for anything but infantry is coming to an end anyway.

Yeah mechs like this will become available as construction tools and maybe riot control. But as war machines? Nah.
Long range engagements require slow or rather static targets out in the open, pitting that against something highly maneuverable and able to take cover, even construct it's own cover... would not offer much results.

But hey it's all pie in the sky stuff sofar, until mechs can move properly they really can't do much.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Cowabungaa said:

Long range engagements require slow or rather static targets out in the open, pitting that against something highly maneuverable and able to take cover, even construct it's own cover... would not offer much results.
Agreed, so this mech pretty much doesn't stand a chance.
Besides, things are moving to unmanned drones and such. An RC helicopter with a gauss cannon is worth 20 of these mechs.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I think the design of this mech is alright.
But even someone think to use it as a tool for war, it will cost ALL LOT MORE money than that.
Also I think this mech is SUPER useless....is just a very cheap "tank" [neither this mech qualified for a tank, I am just saying...] with two arms....
If this specific mech had the same speed as a human being to control this mech, then we talk.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait it can be operated by 3G, something tell me someone will try to hack it!
I got to say, that is impressive but it still need some fine tuning (more mobility with the joint movement and armour plated) for it to be used for real.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Cowabungaa said:

But hey it's all pie in the sky stuff sofar, until mechs can move properly they really can't do much.
For that we need Armored Core-esque speed and dexterity. Modern tanks can already go pretty damn fast but not fast enough to outrun a Javelin missile let alone a mech. Not to mention gunships and airplanes. Yeah, mechs are worthless for combat roles and they'll probably be just that forever.

As someone else already posted; mechs would be useful in WW2 where long range engagements are still non-existant. I wonder for instance what sort of difference a four legged mech would've made in the Ardennes Offensive. But in the age of F-22's, Apaches and the rise of hunter-killer drones like the Predator and the Avenger mechs just don't have a useful place on the battlefield.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Tony said:
Some years from now, we'll either have a thousand Benders or a thousand Gundam. Maybe even a Gurenn Lagann remake. To the Time Stasis chamber!
Edit: OT: I can only hope Top Gear reviews this.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
PowerGirl said:
Am I the only person who thinks it's extremely childish? This could be another symptom of escapism mentality from Japan. To us it seems pretty cool but in reality this could another deep rooted mental social issue with Japanese society. Wasting money on cheap anime gimmicks as tools of war as their society thinks it's moving forward truly disturbs me.
I'm kind of wondering what your experience with Japanese culture is to be saying such things. Rich people from all kinds of cultures spend spend money on impractical stuff. Is this somehow worse than spending millions to take a trip to space or owning a garage full of expensive cars? Also, company != society.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'm glad they didn't go for the overboard retarded eastern look, but took a nice sedate Wanzer approach.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Solo-Wing said:
The robot fires it's Gatling guns when the pilot SMILES? That is actually evil, morbid, and awesome at the same time.
Despite being a pretty jaded person I personally find it irredeemably morbid and disturbing.

Even though it is a blatant joke.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
It's actually quite remarkable for the first of its kind.

Now, let's give Japan another 5 years or so, and we can expect some awesome battles.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Eh... I think I'd rather have a freaking Baneblade battle tank to use in battle than that thing.

It's really impressive but honestly, you give it waterballoons and BB's to use in "battle", I'd like to think for the cost of that thing you could get live ammo for it. /sarcasm and snark

Well that smile system has to come out, I can barely smile to begin with and that would be worthless to me when hunting people foes down.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I see everyone complaining how it's worse compared to WWII tanks and it's unpractical, but remember, the first unit's and prototypes of things always suck, give it about 20-30 years then we'll see

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Sees a working mech on youtube,

reads comments on escapist,

People arguing about the practicality and/or it not being their favourite anime mech.

A lot of dour individuals on this site.