So Japan built a real life mech...

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Infernai said:

HAHAHAHA! YES! I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE ALIVE TO DO THIS, SO HERE IT GOES!

*ahem* METAL GEAR!

(Someone was gonna do it eventually, and i just happened to be the escapist prepared to take that step)
You beautiful bastard, you beat me to it, but I'm going to one up you!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wait, is this real or is everyone just going along with the joke? They only show a "mech" that twists his body and raises his arms, nothing more. That UI looks impratical as fuck and very movie like, if the robot can actually move at 10km/h why not show it do that instead of CGI? Did they actually made a weapon that can be controlled via phone ? And what is the deal with the smiling?

I honestly cant believe in it due to how dumb it is

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
That's the coolest thing I've ever seen, and I want one - but what psychopath decided you should fire the twin gatling guns by SMILING?! The evil grin is a response to murder and mayhem, not the other way around!

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
the japs are developing mobile suit technology! we must act fast and make our own or we shall be over run in ww3!

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
josemlopes said:
Wait, is this real or is everyone just going along with the joke? They only show a "mech" that twists his body and raises his arms, nothing more. That UI looks impratical as fuck and very movie like, if the robot can actually move at 10km/h why not show it do that instead of CGI? Did they actually made a weapon that can be controlled via phone ? And what is the deal with the smiling?

I honestly cant believe in it due to how dumb it is
It's an expensive toy, I certainly didn't expect seriousness to come out that video.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
It really is funny to see such an advanced technology held back by archaic thinking. Who thought it would be a good idea to put the pilot inside the suit? There is no reason for this thing to not be remote controlled. Eventually, we wont have pilots in tanks or helicopters.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Mechs will never see the battlefield just like there won't be any more lumbering heavy tanks like the Tiger. They are too easy to pick off with aircraft or infantry anti-tank weapons.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'm hoping there'll be some control options to be manipulated by my hard, throbbing erection.

I mean, that mech won't come with that pilot, so I wouldn't want it to go to waste, because make no mistake, it'd be there.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
I want one, Oh do I. But I don't know what I'd do with it. I wouldn't feel safe even doing a milkrun once I had to get out of the cockpit and enter the store.

I mean, it draws a heck of alot of attention and is opened by a single button push? I intend to keep my super awesome mecha please!

*Prepares to paint a "Do Not Touch" sign*

Captcha: String Along. Yes I think I will!

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Legion said:
GTwander said:
Mr.K. said:
The Madman said:
I know I'm being the nerdy one by saying this but there's a reason there have been no mech until now (Apparently), and that's because as a fighting machine they're just ridiculously impractical.
You do know that has been said about every major technological development?
Guns were considered impractical, vehicles were considered impractical, electricity, electronic devices, computers,... airplanes were even deemed impossible.
Yet here we are now years later with all that so common it doesn't even impress us anymore.
All those things were impractical (and dangerous) in their first incarnations, like this thing.
Give it time (and investment) and then I can see something like this being put to good use. As is, it's fairly lame... and I'm not talking about the soda rockets and BB guns, the whole thing is just...

... you know damned well what I'm getting at.
Of course it is, it's slow, clunky and impractical as it stands. But all technology has to start somewhere. We never build the good stuff on our first attempts.

Hell, look at the first car made compared to the Ferrari, look at the first plane compared to the crazy military aircraft we have now.

This is the equivilent of those.
Mechs aren't impractical in combat because current models are rubbish. The models seen in anime are also impractical and only look cool because the artists grant them exemption from basic laws of physics and make them win. The Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell, for instance, zoom around with speed and agility that would be impressive in a formula 1 race. But whereas formula 1 cars have big tyres with high grip, Tachikomas have little castor wheels that shouldn't have much traction at all.

A typical mech with an arm cannon is much larger than the same weapon put on wheels or tracks plus a cockpit. It is thus more expensive, and top brass will want a good reason why they should buy 1,000 mechs instead of 2,000 tanks. Does it hit harder? No, it's the same weapon. Is it tougher? No, the tank is lower to the ground and doesn't expose fragile parts like legs. Is it faster? No way. Is it more manoeuvrable? Given that the tank is low on the ground and has great traction, while the mech is neither, I'd guess no.

Is the mech better on tricky terrain, like climbing a 70% incline? Well maybe. But is there a significant amount of strategically important terrain that mechs can climb but tanks can't? Probably not. And helicopters and planes would still be viable alternatives.

That said, I think mechs would be useful for heavy lifting.

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
Its a nice play thing, pretty funny video to :p The accent is a new one to me XD

Realistically battle worthy mechs are a fair way off yet, my bet would be 20-30 years before the first moderately working prototype. When it can withstand a 105 mm depleted uranium shell without all aboard dying, be able to move fluidly and jump close to 3 meters it is pretty pointless. A tank would do fine or a properly fire team.

In fact, my guess is that they wont be fielded at all.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Sleekit said:
"...greatest feature..the weapon...will not hurt anyone..."

obviously some strange usage of the word "weapon" i wasn't previously aware of...
It will make you laugh or at least smile and miniguns will do the rest.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Wonder what those people thought driving on the road with that thing rolling around,

njrk97

May 30, 2011
er mah gerd screw gundum robots i wanna see real these!!

want so much even the cockpits look the same as that robot in the op this would be so awesome.Can anyone say zoid battles out on salt plains.