So Long, and Thanks For All The Flesh

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Good news for me, considering I found over half of her advice to be scary-bad. I did like her constant sentiment of "quit dragging her feet and ask her out already," though. Here's hoping she finds a better fit and someone else takes up the column with a bigger helping of "you don't NEED a girlfriend, and thinking you do is a really bad place to start."

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Tbh, my friends and I have been working on a set of Man Rules for quite some time and so far the first, best, and most qualified rule is Rule#1 Don't Stick it in Crazy.

I will miss LoveFAQ, but I have learned a great deal for the future, and I hope to see more meaningful writting from youse guys in the years to come!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Ah, that's sad. I really enjoyed LoveFAQs.

But hey, it was a good run, and it was a pretty enjoyable one too. Hope to see more of your stuff in the future, Lara.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
While I'm not in any position to find someone to have a relationship with, I loved reading this column and will definitely miss it.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Probably for the best. While some of the advice was sensible enough, there were others that just seemed to get plain weird. And I think that's what was ultimately the issue: things got weird. Each person has unique situations/preferences, but this slowly started to become a "How Weird is THIS?!" column. Something you expect to find in the National Examiner or something similar.

In any case, I personally think it's a good thing to have a geek love advice column. But it was a case of "right song, wrong singer". Maybe there could be someone else that would fit The Escapist better? Maybe a couple of someone's?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I wish Lara the best in her future endeavors, and for what its worth, I liked her column.

I've had my disagreements with her for sure, but as a whole, I really felt that she knew what she was talking about. Though not always worded in the best way, the knowledge beneath such phrasing always seemed pretty spot on. Ultimately, she ended up giving me the impression of a tone that was impartial to the sexes (that is, neither a misogynist nor a feminazi). Some of her columns were just plain awesome, and tbqh, she's pretty wise overall.

Cheers and sorry to see you go. At least you gave us a last word!

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Awwwww...man...

I liked this column, I really did, and whatever you do, Lara, I wish you luck in it.

But still, man, I really liked this column...

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Aww... This has been one of the most interesting columns on The Escapist, both for its content and for the discussions it sparked in the comments. Lara, you'll be greatly missed.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Maaaaan.
Good luck in 2012. This is one of the things that I checked every week on the escapist.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Can no one admit it? The Love FAQ got shit ratings, pure and simple! I mean, only three-hundred-and-fifty letters? Just look at the comments; they were just barely stretching out to a second page. And it's not like this should be surprising; it was a column about relationships at a gaming/media/entertainment website. I commend what The Escapist did here: they tried something new, it didn't work, and so then they simply discontinue it. Very nice.

My only minor concern is that they (or at least Laura) don't want people to know why they're cancelling the column. I don't know why, maybe it'd piss the community off; maybe it'd make them look like failures? I don't think either would happen, but all I know is they decided to not bring it up and leave the ballsier users by themselves to get ripped apart by the community for telling the truth. It's okay I know it hurts.

Okay sorry, sorry, regardless of my douchey smugness, I'm sad to see the FAQ end; I really liked it. I admire Crigger's brutal honesty and bullshitlessness. I say take that great insight somewhere more appropriate! Good luck!

PS: I didn't know 'ballsier' was a real word. Holy shit!

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
Bummer. I haven't been in a serious relationship yet but I greatly enjoyed reading your articles. They gave me something to look forward to on Fridays.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Maxtro said:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I expected articles geared towards helping nerds/geeks start dating and maintain relationships.
If that isn't what you saw, then it's quite possible that you are more blind to what you need to know or look for in romance than you think, to the point where you don't even see the value in what was posted in this column.

I don't know how successful your love life has been, and I have only your quoted sentence to go on, but if that's really the limit of your perception, then I don't expect things have gone well for you. I hope you can overcome that before too many years pass. You will need to radically change your perception of yourself and others.

OT: So long, your column was informative, amusing, sometimes a little disturbing due to the bizarre stories, but never boring. Thanks for the good reads.