So Long, Bandai Entertainment

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
So Long, Bandai Entertainment

2012 is off to a rough start for anime fans, as one of the biggest distributors in North America is shutting down production of new entertainment.

Odds are that you've heard of Bandai Entertainment. ​The company has been one of the major distributors of anime in North America since it was founded in the late 1990s by parent company Bandai (which is based out of Japan). However, it's just been announced that the group will be shutting down distribution of new content in North America starting next month.

This is pretty stunning, if for no other reason than the amount of new anime, manga, and novels that will no longer be appearing out here. Bandai Entertainment, though, will continue to distribute all the content it owns the licenses to (until said licenses expire, of course). Here's the list of discontinued media, according to Japanator:

Anime:
Gosick
Nichijou
Turn A Gundam

Manga:
Code Geass: Renya
Kannagi volume 4, 5 and 6
Lucky Star: Boo Boo Kagaboo
Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
Nichijou
Tales of the Abyss: Jade's Secret Memories
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Volume 7

Novels:
Code Geass R2

Meanwhile, Topless Robot has a great summary of how a series of dubious decisions from Bandai Entertainment's parent company led to the subsidiary's death by a thousand cuts. From the sound of things, the main problem was that Bandai Japan would force Bandai Entertainment to pay top dollar to license the former's anime series, which would then lead to consumers being charged unreasonable prices for dated series (unsurprisingly, they didn't sell well enough to satisfy Bandai Japan's expectations).

Bandai Entertainment had a lot of talented people working for them, many of whom are undoubtedly starting a new job search as I write these words. Hopefully they'll find new positions soon.

Source: <a href=http://www.japanator.com/bandai-entertainment-to-stop-localisation-21298.phtml>Japanator via <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/01/bandai_entertainment_1998-2012.php>Topless Robot

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
excuse me for a moment

okay... so now only funimation is left, lets see how long they last

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh dear, another classic example of the infamous Japanese business model.

Working for Japan is rather like being Moses, you're not allowed to do anything without instructions from above first...

...then when something goes wrong it's never the boss' fault....

Between mass fraud at Olympus, mass stupidity at Honda and Toyota, mass denial at Sony and mass God-knows-what in their financial sector, it's a wonder there's still anyone doing business there at all, nevermind buying anime.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Well that blows.
I'm glad that my list of shows to watch whenever I get around to watching them, is unharmed by this news.
But that still sucks for everyone that relies on their shows and manga.

Now if this was about Funimation, I'd take to the streets with a torch and pitchfork.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Oh dear, another classic example of the infamous Japanese business model.

Working for Japan is rather like being Moses, you're not allowed to do anything without instructions from above first...

...then when something goes wrong it's never the boss' fault....

Between mass fraud at Olympus, mass stupidity at Honda and Toyota, mass denial at Sony and mass God-knows-what in their financial sector, it's a wonder there's still anyone doing business there at all, nevermind buying anime.
Heh ... making me all nostalgic for my time back in Japan.

You forgot to mention 'grandiose marketing strategies based on expansive & expensive market research targeting acutely detailed market segments by ......

... handing out tissues on the street'

Shame about Bandai though. They never handed out tissues, obviously.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I know they are kind of joined with Namco to publish Tekken. So if that's disrupted, then... I don't know, but I'm certainly not going to play no Street Fighter game, no sir-ree.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
uhohimdead said:
excuse me for a moment

okay... so now only funimation is left, lets see how long they last
Well, and neo-ADV, Sentai Filmworks. They've been on the upswing lately. Plus, Aniplex has gotten into the market recently releasing online-only releases of popular series like Durarara!! and Magica Madoka. The former even got a TV deal. Then there's Discotek for old school releases. Media Blasters is still around and releasing a lot of echi stuff in addition to more mainstream titles like Bakuman. Oh, and NIS America and Right Stuff do some pretty fancy sets for fan favorite shows like Toradora! and Revolutionary Girl Uetena. Oh, and Viz has all that Shonen and kids stuff with a few titles they've been hesitant to release like Monster.

So, the anime industry is down, but not out. Also, Funimation has the Dragon Ball license, they'll be fine.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I remember their original prices being utterly ridiculous for the US market. Japanese consumers might be willing to pay $20-40 an ep for a series, but I'm not. Perhaps they lowered prices since, but I haven't been keeping track.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This... this makes me sad. Having less anime and manga here in the States just makes me sad. :( Did I mention I'm sad?

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Downer. I mean i dont watch any of those licensed animes but its never fun to see something in an industry i like go the way of the buffalo. Doesnt bode well for the industry which doesnt make sense to me since it seems to me its making more western headway then ever before? maybe im wrong.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Japan has such unrealistic workplace mentalities that this comes as no surprise that the higher-ups in Japan have no grasp of the reality of North American consumer culture. They just expect people to have the same sort of mindless brand mentality that Japanese people hold to. Yes, Americans like established brands. No, they won't be blinded (except in very special cases) to poor release schedules, overpriced merchandise, and outdated product. The INTERNET exists, and yet these companies anchored to a Japanese overlord seem to be inept at embracing simultaneous or near-simultaneous release dates to Japanese products, or at least have a method of delivering product to a North American product without the product being years out of date.

I feel bad for the Japanese who get jerked around with fewer alternatives other than to keep giving their money to an archaic corporate structure. The amount of patience the average Japanese consumer has is astounding. They are very aware that their economy sucks but the corporate wheel is stuck in place. Without calls to overhaul their ridiculous bureaucracy from within, every company that has ties to Japan is going to get sucked into their inefficiencies.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Gee, Escapist, if only you'd picked up on this when I sent you a tip about it THREE DAYS AGO.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SachielOne said:
Gee, Escapist, if only you'd picked up on this when I sent you a tip about it THREE DAYS AGO.
They needed an official citation. Did you give them one?

OT: Gah. I hate hearing about popular companies shutting down. ;_;

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
If they could do free (ad-supported, obviously) streaming online with a decent quality translation, I would watch it.