So Long, Bandai Entertainment

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Hopefully Haruhi will still get released here in the States. Assuming they make a new season...

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
So... does this affect Europe? Are we still ok? Someone please let me know, I almost died a little inside when I heard this news...

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Arizona Kyle said:
oldtaku said:
I remember their original prices being utterly ridiculous for the US market. Japanese consumers might be willing to pay $20-40 an ep for a series, but I'm not. Perhaps they lowered prices since, but I haven't been keeping track.
Ha 20.... bucks..... hold on *does some reasearch*
well not twenty bucks but hell still pretty pricey for me.... Funimation away!!!!
I swear! Freedom was like $40 bucks per volume for single eps. I remember several that were $50 for 3 TV eps which is, okay, 'only' $16.67.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
The US anime industry is under threat not from pirates but the Japanese fear of reverse importation which has never been so easy.
You mean Exportation? There is a word that is the opposite of import which is export.

OT: I dont really watch Anime I read fan tranlations of mangas though.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Micalas said:
Dreiko said:
They wouldn't sub it either, would they? The only thing we'll have is illegal fan subs. So unless all of these "real anime fans" are also fluent in Japanese, they're just as fucked.
Fansubs of things not licensed are not illegal actually and fansubs are often better so those real fans would strive to experience their anime as best as possible despite the murky legal waters. You don't even need to download stuff to watch it anyways and a bunch of series (bakemonogatari for example) do show official episodes online for free in Japan so it's really not any sort of moral issues we should feel wary of if they makers themselves don't mind. You can still support them too despite watching anime in fansubs, as I'll explain to the more directly-asked question of it below.
Otaku World Order said:
That's true. But, I do like being able to buy the DVDs to support the stuff I like. I've bought a lot of anime DVDs of stuff I already had fansubbed versions of.
You can still do that, you can also still buy figurines and music CDs and clothes and even import the BDs from Japan. That's actually MUCH better for our loved anime since you don't give a lot of your money to dubbing companies and second hand anime peddlers who are not actually creating it but are making a profit off of it, not unlike how Gamestop takes a large portion of the money from the games they sell without making them.

This is just a hit at the convenience of accessing the material, nothing more.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
The only name I recognized on that list was Gundam. I can still keep my geek card so long as I continue to state that no one's done anime right since Black Magic M66, Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed, right?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
camazotz said:
The only name I recognized on that list was Gundam. I can still keep my geek card so long as I continue to state that no one's done anime right since Black Magic M66, Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed, right?
You forgot Evangelion and Akira! :D

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Dreiko said:
Micalas said:
Dreiko said:
They wouldn't sub it either, would they? The only thing we'll have is illegal fan subs. So unless all of these "real anime fans" are also fluent in Japanese, they're just as fucked.
Fansubs of things not licensed are not illegal actually and fansubs are often better so those real fans would strive to experience their anime as best as possible despite the murky legal waters. You don't even need to download stuff to watch it anyways and a bunch of series (bakemonogatari for example) do show official episodes online for free in Japan so it's really not any sort of moral issues we should feel wary of if they makers themselves don't mind. You can still support them too despite watching anime in fansubs, as I'll explain to the more directly-asked question of it below.
Actually, Fansubs are illegal under the Berne Convention of which both the US and Japan are signators. Just because it isn't litigated doesn't mean it's not illegal. It's usually overlooked due to the honor of the fansubbers dropping their work on a series once it is officially licensed. If a company wanted to take it to court, the fansubbers would lose the case.

The official "free" online showings are supported by ads. If a fansubber rips the episode and hosts it after adding subtitles, the company who was showing it for "free" is getting nothing out of it.

As for your reply to the person below, I may be wrong but I don't believe that Japanese DVDs/BDs that aren't being released outside of the country have English subtitles. I'm pretty sure the regional distributor does that.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Micalas said:
Dreiko said:
Micalas said:
Dreiko said:
Actually, Fansubs are illegal under the Berne Convention of which both the US and Japan are signators. Just because it isn't litigated doesn't mean it's not illegal. It's usually overlooked due to the honor of the fansubbers dropping their work on a series once it is officially licensed. If a company wanted to take it to court, the fansubbers would lose the case.

The official "free" online showings are supported by ads. If a fansubber rips the episode and hosts it after adding subtitles, the company who was showing it for "free" is getting nothing out of it.

As for your reply to the person below, I may be wrong but I don't believe that Japanese DVDs/BDs that aren't being released outside of the country have English subtitles. I'm pretty sure the regional distributor does that.
You're talking about fansubbing here, I was referring to watching something that has been fansubbed by other people, which is legal.

As for the process of fansubbing itself, I'm from Greece and I was still living there when I got into anime culture stuff and it was legal for fansubs to be made there so that somewhat colors my views of the subject. Sometimes dropping the project when something gets licensed is all that much worse for the anime. It reminds me of the big Naruto drop a few years back, the official subs sucked so very horribly that a lot of noise was made over it.

Furthermore, take notice of all the doujinshi merchandise market in Japan. Comiket is entirely based on them really. They're derivative works which is basically copyright infringement but they have always been allowed to function regardless because of the way the anime culture just is. They are not viewed as immoral or infringing because there is the mutual understanding that they are made out of the pure love of the material and the original makers are simply stoked that there's people out there willing to invest so much of themselves into these projects. I say that fansubs are identical in ideals to that and that's my philosophical image of them.

Even if the person were to watch the ads the chances of making a purchase out of them is negligible since they'd be a few countries away at least thus there is negligible losses. In fact, I'd say that the increase in worldwide consumption of Pocky or ramen is directly related to fansub consumption so it's going back to them in one way or another.

Yes, most of those don't have subs, you're buying them for the collection element, for the bonuses that come with them (figures, music CDs, artbooks, mousepads with boobs, that kind of thing) and it's not like you can't learn the language anyways. I've been studying for about 7 years now and I can even play games like FFXIII completely in Japanese now so it's a great thing if you really love your stuff. :D

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
They certainly charged way too much for Cowboy Bebop and Stand Alone Complex. On the other hand, perhaps this will open the door for a more consumer driven market where we pay what we value for these things.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
But... but Haruhi Suzumiya! How will I get my Haruhi Suzumiya?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(I REALLY hope Funimation picks it up. And keeps dubbing it. And keeps Crispin Freeman on board)

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I love Bandai. I love Gosick and Nichijou.D:

If only I had more money to give them this year. If only I spent less money on video games and more money on anime.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Krion_Vark said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
The US anime industry is under threat not from pirates but the Japanese fear of reverse importation which has never been so easy.
You mean Exportation? There is a word that is the opposite of import which is export.

OT: I dont really watch Anime I read fan tranlations of mangas though.

Nope, Japanese anime fans by the US releases and import them back to Japan and save alot of money and the anime companies are trying to stop it.
Um that's just regular Importation. Seeing as how they are buying an American good. Its not the same one as the Japanese one since I am guessing the Japanese one doesn't have the English Dub. Therefore the export of the anime to America where it is changed to also have an English Dub makes a new good that is not available in Japan making it an import of an American Product. Not reverse importation. Seeing as how reversing something means making it go the opposite way which means it would be exportation. BUT they are then importing an export because it is a better price than their own country which is just regular importation. There is no such thing as reverse importation.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
I cry everytime I see the prices for Anime in stores over here in Europe. I mean, I rather buy three new Gundam models then pick up ONE DVD with 3-4 episodes. Costs about the same.

Anyway, I suppose there is still an Aile Strike Gundam kit in one of these drawers I could build...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Just one question, why would Bandai charge licensing fees to what is essentially themselves? Or to put it another way, why would Bandai Entertainment have to license anime from Bandai? Aren't they essentially one and the same? ...well for all intents and purposes anyway?

In any case, this is a shame. However it's a good thing Bandai doesn't produce any anime that I'm into at the moment.