So Long, Brian Jacques

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Brian Jacques, the author of the Redwall book series, has passed on.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-12380763

For those unfamiliar, the Redwall series is the tale of a sort of medieval/fantasy society of woodland creatures centered around the Redwall Abbey, with its most beloved hero a field mouse named Martin the Warrior. They were quite popular books for preteens/young adults when I was growing up, and hearing this sad news, I feel I have lost another great piece of my childhood/early adolescence. His books can be credited as one of the stronger influences in my own love of fantasy tales, along with Lord of the Rings and the Legend of Zelda.

RIP Brian Jacques

For discussion value, have you read any of the Redwall books? What did you think of them?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Wait what?

Man, I read every single one of those books back in middle school. Multiple times.

Damn.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
I was wondering when someone would post this.

I loved Redwall. I grew up on Redwall. I still read them when I get spare time.

It's really sad to think that the mind behind one of my favorite series of all time is gone, but such is life. I guess I just have to share his works with that much more fervor.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I never read any of them, but now I feel really inclined to. Can anyone recommend one to read for this Queen who hasn't read any Redwall before?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I never read any of them, but now I feel really inclined to. Can anyone recommend one to read for this Queen who hasn't read any Redwall before?
Well, the best place to start is with Redwall, but really, the books aren't in any particular order and do a good job of standing alone.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I always say start from the beginning. The first in the series is just titled Redwall.

You start getting into some odd chronological things after that point. Mattimeo is the next chronologically so I tend to read that one next. If you still enjoy, pretty much any of them are fair game, especially the ones about Martin. (Martin the Warrior, Mossflower, The Legend of Luke).

Hope that helps. :p

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
hittite said:
Well, the best place to start is with Redwall, but really, the books aren't in any particular order and do a good job of standing alone.
Link_to_Future said:
I always say start from the beginning. The first in the series is just titled Redwall.

You start getting into some odd chronological things after that point. Mattimeo is the next chronologically so I tend to read that one next. If you still enjoy, pretty much any of them are fair game, especially the ones about Martin. (Martin the Warrior, Mossflower, The Legend of Luke).

Hope that helps. :p
It did, big thanks to both of you.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Oh no! Dammit, that's kinda dampened my day now.

I adored those books as a child and now I feel really inclined to re-write them. All 21 of them.

His Angel's Command series was bloody good, too.

/cry

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Aw... No :(

I loved the Redwall books! I read so few but they were brilliant!

RIP Brian Jacques.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
RIP Brian Jacques.

Would that we could bring his body to Salamandastron, home of the warrior kings, and send him out to sea from its shores.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
hittite said:
Queen Michael said:
Thats a load of crap the books have a chronological order to them.

Galdrack

Jan 31, 2011
I heard this from a friend yesterday.
I love the Redwall books and read all of them. It was really sad to hear this :(

Also yes the books have a chronological order.
It starts with Lord Brocktree. The chronological order can be found inside the books.

DeadMix

May 30, 2010
His books were surprisingly badass, especially for kids books, and I still love them to this day. My little brother's gonna be bummed when he hears this....

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
The Redwall books were a big part of my childhood, I used to read them all the time.

I still have them, though they're a bit the worse for wear after multiple readings.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some books to reread.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure I've read (and re-read) almost every one of his books (excluding the "Tribes of Redwall" dealies). The only one I believe I'm missing is "High Rhulain".

I'm going to miss him...I wonder, did he leave any unfinished works? Will we get posthumous publications like we did with Tolkien?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

God, The writer of one of the greatest book series I've ever read is dead?!? NO!
*Sigh* I wonder what happens to the series now?

Too brighten things up, why not say our favorite book from the series?

Mine was "The Legend of Luke"

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
NOOOO!!! I really liked those books back in the day. I loved the original. I did not read any more than that, but that one stands as one of my favorite childrens' books of all time. RIP Brian Jacques. :'(

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I only read one Redwall book and saw only one or two episodes of the show. I was never a fan. But I mourn the loss of an influential and popular author nonetheless. RIP, dude.