So, my family basically thinks I am a loser

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I had a similar situation but the worse part is that they can't accept reality and try to change you and that makes you hate them even more.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Have you tried smiting them with your fists of justice? I'm sure they'd be impressed with a bit of smiting.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
It doesn't sound like your parents think you're a loser necessarily, they might just be expressing their concern for you. You said you didn't have a job, not many friends, and aren't that socially active. I'm sort of the same way and sometimes I feel that my parents are disappointed in me, but it seems they are usually more concerned than disappointed.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Radoh said:
Have you tried smiting them with your fists of justice? I'm sure they'd be impressed with a bit of smiting.
Yes. hit them with a stick! Demand respect!

If you go out and drink every night, will that make them happy?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hah! I read a book exactly on this today and my advice (derived from the book) is to try and understand and null their concerns. They're not trying to be assholes but to be family. I bet they'll be a time when they try to stop you from going into the industry. Try and have a good talk.

Do not ignore them. Do not argue with them. They don't think you're a loser. They just have some concern about you because you're breaking their comfort zone. Talk to them and understand their worries and make them understand yours.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Master Steeds said:
It sounds like you commute a long way for college. maybe you could arrange a social event with your coursemates after class? I'm sure somebody must live relatively close to campus.

As for your high school friends, any reason you lost touch with them? even if you've all gone your separate ways, you could still stay in touch online or something.

Finally, low self-esteem is a problem that can really hold you back in life. i don't know if you really need a job right now, but getting out there and getting used to the interview process and selling yourself is going to be a useful experience to have once you graduate. Like it or not, developing social skills is important in life, and i'm sure that your family is just concerned that not having them will make things difficult for you later in life. i know they did for me.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same situation right now.

I try not to tell my parents that the reason I don't hang out with my friends is that most of the time they're drunk or high, so usually I just deal with it and go back to doing other stuff.

opp1123

Jun 23, 2011
Ouch! There's a lot of conflict within my family that is similar to that, except it's more like "why do you like this ex-boyfriend more than my fiancee" stuff and the whole issue with living together before marriage. Parents just are unpredictable...

I personally don't go out a lot because I haven't kept up with any of my high school friends and I don't see anything wrong with that. Why go out and get drunk with some friends when you could easily have just as much fun sitting inside doing safer (and less expensive) things?

Good vent though... did it help?

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
sora91111 said:
Dude that sucks, but collage is as much a challenge as an oppertunity. Somethings get harder.
Must... resist... making... Joke... Can't... take... another.. warning...

/back to OP

To be honest, screw them, if you're happy they should be happy. I happen to have some parents more stubborn than a mule, and there's no changing that. Try getting a job tho... that will help you out loads.

WanderingBiscuits

Apr 19, 2010
Just don't care what they think about you. Do what you want to do yourself and let them talk. Thats what i do. Ultimately its not their life and if they don't approve then there is nothing they can do about it anyways.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Uhm, you realize that you're gonna have to overcome your low self-esteem at some point, right?

Because if you don't, your parents' fears are gonna come true.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I'm going to be a high-school freshman at the end of summer, and I constantly remind my parents that the moment I turn fourteen I want to look for a job. Honestly, I'm pretty lazy, though. I've been spending my nights on the computer and my days sleeping. I'm pretty sure I have at least three cavities right now since I always forget to brush or I'm too lazy though. I ended middle school by losing all my friends aside from one guy who lived next door, and now I've moved so I don't have him. I'm also one of those socially awkward people with low self-esteem, to the point that things that aren't even an insult hurt me. I'm shy until someone talks to me, and then I stalk them because I think they're my friend now.

So I feel like a loser, and I don't know what I'd do if someone told me that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
funguy2121 said:
Oh, how I envy you. Oh wait, I forgot where I'm at. I mean this sincerely, in case anyone's wondering. I've had to work full time consistently, school or no, since I was 16. Not everybody has parents/grants/other means of paying those damned bills and putting gas in the tank and food on the table while they attend school. Hell, I finished trade school 2 years ago, and I slept 4 hours a night when I was lucky. My point is that you shouldn't assume that everyone has it as easy as you. Of course, you shouldn't take it for granted either. And now I sound like a pedantic grandpappy. Where's my cane?
I've never heard of teenagers actively searching for a job in order to pay the bills or put food on the table. I'm guessing you had it pretty rough. I just don't see how at 16 people start worrying about things that, at least most of the times, tend to come crashing after you're 18 years old.
...Maybe because we don't want things crashing on us when we're eighteen?

I got a job at thirteen, and entered university with a giant pocketful of money. I regret nothing.