So, my family is homophobic.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Boudica said:
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Boudica said:
Simply: don't become the thing you dislike. Be a force of love, not hate, and that's the best you can do.
Love doesn't win wars.
Love is the only way to win a war; you don't define victory by number of dead, but by spiritual conviction.
-_-

The victorious side is whichever one is in charge after the war. Doesn't matter if they lost more guys or if the other side had more conviction. The Romans won in England because they were then in charge of the area, Boudica was not in charge(sorry, couldn't resist).
I disagree. Rome lost every war it was ever in. They had a lot of power and (at one point) a lot of land. But ultimately they lost everything and the ashes of their civilization were built upon just like they had done to others.

Karma.
By that definition everyone loses every war, because inevitably every civilization falls. It's unfair to say that Ethiopia lost the war against Italy because one day Ethiopia will no longer be Ethiopia.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Boudica said:
"If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you."

Check-mate!
Until recently with technology, if everybody was gay, population numbers would dramatically decrease.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'd like to quote L.A. Noire on this one, "friends that want to stay friends don't talk about religion or politics". Life is too short to hate your parents and your friends for every disagreement that you have. If you only hang out or talk to people that fall into the exact same political mindset as you, your life isn't going to be very happy. We're not going to agree on everything so please don't make a big mess out of this.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Boudica said:
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Boudica said:
Simply: don't become the thing you dislike. Be a force of love, not hate, and that's the best you can do.
Love doesn't win wars.
Love is the only way to win a war; you don't define victory by number of dead, but by spiritual conviction.
-_-

The victorious side is whichever one is in charge after the war. Doesn't matter if they lost more guys or if the other side had more conviction. The Romans won in England because they were then in charge of the area, Boudica was not in charge(sorry, couldn't resist).
I disagree. Rome lost every war it was ever in. They had a lot of power and (at one point) a lot of land. But ultimately they lost everything and the ashes of their civilization were built upon just like they had done to others.

Karma.
By that definition everyone loses every war, because inevitably every civilization falls. It's unfair to say that Ethiopia lost the war against Italy because one day Ethiopia will no longer be Ethiopia.
It's not because they fell, but because they were toppled by karma. Rome pushed too many people around and thought much too highly of itself. Eventually that came back to bite it. They spread too thin, kicked too many dogs and poked too many bears.

Sow in flame and reap in ashes.
I disagree that it was karma, but yes they fell because they spread themselves too thin (along with other matters: political corruption, disregard for the army, etc).
You can't argue that they won some wars though. They did lose wars later on, but they did win a great deal of wars.
I'm arguing that victory isn't defined by "spiritual conviction".

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Boudica said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
"If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you."

Check-mate!
Until recently with technology, if everybody was gay, population numbers would dramatically decrease.
That's a silly argument. If everyone was a lot of things the human species would go down the toilet lol.

That's not uniquely destructive.
One of those "a lot of things" would be if everyone was homosexual.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
If your parents don't have a logical reason to hate gay people, then providing a logical reason as to why they shouldn't care one way or the other will obviously not work.

Just accept and move on, but do express how hurt you are regarding the fact that they would disown you because something out of your control.

A lesbian friend of mine had a similar problem, and thought that coming out to her parents might make them re-evaluate their position on the subject. Three years later, she still hasn't been able to get them to speak to her.

It's not worth the hassle.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Boudica said:
AngloDoom said:
If your parents don't have a logical reason to hate gay people, then providing a logical reason as to why they shouldn't care one way or the other will obviously not work.

Just accept and move on, but do express how hurt you are regarding the fact that they would disown you because something out of your control.

A lesbian friend of mine had a similar problem, and thought that coming out to her parents might make them re-evaluate their position on the subject. Three years later, she still hasn't been able to get them to speak to her.

It's not worth the hassle.
Being true to yourself and your beliefs is important, but so too is family. I don't think advising people not to bother trying is the right way to go.
It depends on the person and the severity, of course. My aforementioned friend is now in a difficult financial situation, currently has no-where permanent to live, and is in a pretty glum state because she mentioned she was homosexual.

She was being true to herself to everyone but her parents, and as a result of trying to extend that acceptance into her family she is worse off and has essentially died to her family. No-one should be forced to make a choice between being yourself and being accepted, but she truly wishes she just stayed in the closet when it came to family matters.

Maybe one day her family will miss her and welcome her back, but it's seemingly less likely as time goes by.

Also:

Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!
That's a silly argument. If everyone was a lot of things the human species would go down the toilet lol.

That's a silly argument. If everyone in the world became a doctor we'd see a decline in engineering and technology industries and would have reduced agricultural yield. That's not a good argument against being a doctor because not everyone in the world is suddenly going to rush through medical school.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Boudica said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!

If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you.
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
Ledan said:
Boudica said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Boudica said:
Love doesn't win wars.
-_-

Karma.
It's not because they fell, but because they were toppled by karma. Rome pushed too many people around and thought much too highly of itself. Eventually that came back to bite it. They spread too thin, kicked too many dogs and poked too many bears.

Sow in flame and reap in ashes.
I disagree that it was karma, but yes they fell because they spread themselves too thin (along with other matters: political corruption, disregard for the army, etc).
You can't argue that they won some wars though. They did lose wars later on, but they did win a great deal of wars.
I'm arguing that victory isn't defined by "spiritual conviction".
We just disagree on what defines a victory. Opinions clashing on the internet? Madness, I know :p
:p fine, but if someone tries to use that definition in a historical discussion, book, or thing, I'll say they're wrong.
Your spiritual conviction wins this battle -_-

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Fact is people that are filled with so much hate can never really be changed, you can use all the facts and logical arguments you want but it won't change much of anything. If your parents are these people than I would suggest you just wait until your old enough or have enough money and then move out on your own, as far away from them as you can. I know they are still your parents, so long as you aren't gay because like you said they'll disown you if you are, and none of us here can stop you from loving them, so don't cut off contact completely. Just stay at a safe distance from all that stupidity and close mindedness, I'm sure that will do you wonders.

Thankfully I grew up in a household where I was allowed to think what I want about any topic, even Santa Clause wasn't thrown in my face as a child, and I'd say I came out pretty good from that envioronemnts. So for the love of god man, if you ever have kids please don't raise them the same way you were

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Parents that love their children would like them to be not homosexual, as being heterosexual is the natural order anything above amoebas adheres to in order to be able to procreate.

I was born naturally to a mother and a father. My mind, though, is inseminated by a large number of folks, whose sex or sexual orientation does not matter much.

If you're still a teenager, you've got things to do. Things to take care of. Only once you are yourself, you are able to accept the fact that your parents once were as young and free and random as you are now. Maybe you are the only reason these two people got stuck together. No matter what your specific truth is, accept it before you move on.

Feb 24, 2011
i just tend to tell people that there is nothing wrong with being gay. they are not making kids gay , pedophiles will not start marrying children (how the fuck does that even work?!?). and if they're going to use the marriage is a sacred tradition argument i just go ahead and tell them that if there really was a god he would have sorted that shit out a loooooooong time ago

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Are they really homophobic? Do they fear gay people?

My family doesn't have anything against gay people however it is a common pastime to berate and make fun of effeminate or what we consider to be weak males.

Some would consider that homophobic but it's not really. I'm for gay marriage and stuff but if a guy is running around getting manicures I'm going to have a good time mocking him for it.