So, my family is homophobic.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
DarkRyter said:
What you need to do is to give them a good lashing.

They won't have enough time to be homophobic when they're picking cotton on them fields.

Of course, this is all hinging on you being a plantation owner in the 1800's.
Depending on what part of Texas he's in, he might BE in the 1800's.

>.>
Don't worry, I'm in central Texas, where we have electricity and cars and crappy TV like the rest of modern society. The Texas you're thinking of would be to the east nowhere because Texas is a beautiful modern state no matter where you are.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
mxfox408 said:
hate the sin not the sinner.
Two things:

One: saying "Hate the sin not the sinner" is the exact same as me saying "I hate religion but not the religious. I loathe your religion. I despise it. I want to burn it to the ground. I want to dance on its ashes, that thing that comprises a lot of your life is my biggest hate. I want to rip it out and stamp on it. But i like you! Youre fine!" (this isnt my view, im trying to show how they overlap somewhat and how its still offensive).

Two:I also find the "gay is a choice" thing hilarious. I could make ANYONE in the world gay, including you, if i made a good enough advertisement and argument for doing so.

"Hey dude, why dont you try being attracted to COCK!"

"WOW I THINK I WILL!"

Which is basically the same as

"Hey dude, why dont you try being attracted to TABLES!"

"WOW I THINK I WILL!"

Could i convince you to find obese women attractive? What about fish? Or telephones? Could i conceivably argue with you and advertise them to you until you found them sexy? I dont think i could. There is a lot more between me and a cock than a good advert. And you too.

I know you have heard this a thousand times before but the Bible says many things are wrong and sinful. Do you abstain from all of them? Its basically impossible to do so. Is one sin "sinnier" than another sin? How do you decide if blasphemy is worse than being gay or the other way around?

Id also like to point out that some churches and some priests want to marry gay people. Isnt making that illegal violating their freedom of religion? These religious officials want to perform a religious ceremony on THEIR religious ground. Who are you to say YOUR religious beliefs mean the priests cant perform theirs? No priest should be forced to marry anyone. But its important to remember christians who dont think like you do have a right to have their own ceremonies. You are under a BIG label when talking about Christianity. No one wants to force anyone to do anything. They want to restore the rights of priests to marry who they wish to marry under their own religious teachings.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
NotALiberal said:
There is no "biology" behind homosexuality. They don't know why people are gay, nor have they found any credible biological links. Still, they have the right to live however they want, even if I do find the stereotypical "flaming homo" annoying.
This depends on what you define "Credible" as. There has not yet been a gene or series of metabolic processes identified that could conceivably result in homosexuality.

However, humans are not the only species who are homosexual. Homosexual (or at least bisexual) behaviors have been observed in plenty of mammals and non-mammals (about 1500 identified, with 500 well studied cases if you want to believe Wikipedia).

If homosexuality were purely a social or psychological construct, then you'd expect not to find it beyond social or psychologically complex animals, but you do.

I'd say there's a credible biological link, but without a mechanism of action the amount of influence is nebulous.

As for climate change, I still call bullshit on this. Scientist are not infallible, 2000 years ago, the science of the day said the Earth was flat, and if you even DARED challenge this notion, you were a laughing stock.
2000 years ago the Scientific Method had not yet become standard. You are correct: Scientists are not infallible, but Science is by far the most effective method we have developed for describing the Universe thus far.

As someone who's actually taken a look at the raw data, and read some open letters from credible scientists (no, not just crackpot wackos)...
I'm going to take a brief moment: Global Warming (or Global Climate Change) is a fact. There is absolutely no doubt about this. Whether or not humans are significantly altering the natural cycles of Warming is what the debate is about.

That said, the vast majority of scientists working in the myriad fields dealing with GCC believe humans have instigated an early cycle. I would be interested to see who your credible scientists are, as there is a Conservative enclave of research scientists under a rather benign title that make good a show of denying APGCC (anthropocentric GCC).

...on top of "Climate Gate", global warming is a sham IMO.
Climate Gate's data was deemed reliable by several unaffiliated scientists. More so, since the study a larger, much more intensive experiment was undertaken that showed the same results and did not succumb to the human errors that Climate Gate did.

This isn't to say we shouldn't START looking after the planet, and that we should put the interests of big oil corporations ahead of the environment, but the biggest problem I have with the whole global warming scare is the fact that food prices have risen substantially as a result of it, starving millions across 3rd world nations.
Again, Global Warming is a fact. The Earth is getting hotter. Every record we know how to accurately read shows this.

The extent of humanity's involvement is what's debated at this point, and what our role is from here on out.

If we do nothing, the Earth will continue to warm at an accelerated rate, and food prices will continue to rise as droughts (like this year's) and more extreme weather events (tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, wildfires) become much more common.

We do not know the full extent or capacity of the Earth's self-regulating mechanisms, but we do have fossil records of mass extinctions which align well with periods of extreme warming - which we're currently on track for.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Renegade Shepard said:
hazabaza1 said:
Renegade Shepard said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Renegade Shepard said:
I don't get homosexuality hate.

Gays make good pilots.

Just ask Joker.
Wait, what?
Why the what?
Pretty sure Joker's not gay, just likes to fuck his toaster or something.
Did you mean Cortez?
No, I mean professional sarcastic comment killer hazabaza1.
Not really seeing that sarcasm here, Commander.
To be fair, sarcasm never really worked for you. That was more Hawke's thing.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Renegade Shepard said:
hazabaza1 said:
Renegade Shepard said:
hazabaza1 said:
Renegade Shepard said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Renegade Shepard said:
I don't get homosexuality hate.

Gays make good pilots.

Just ask Joker.
Wait, what?
Why the what?
Pretty sure Joker's not gay, just likes to fuck his toaster or something.
Did you mean Cortez?
No, I mean professional sarcastic comment killer hazabaza1.
Not really seeing that sarcasm here, Commander.
To be fair, sarcasm never really worked for you. That was more Hawke's thing.
How can you say that when you just said you can't see the joke staring at you dead on.
So... it was a gay joke about Joker? C'mon man, that's just provably wrong.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
my parents are homo phobes

my dad and Mum especially he wants us to have grand kids for instance so he can boast about the fact he has grandkids. My Bro is just a dickhead who will follow anything my parents say because he is a bootlicker

Kiwilove

Apr 2, 2011
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
"If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you."

Check-mate!
Until recently with technology, if everybody was gay, population numbers would dramatically decrease.
But... everyone isn't gay. can we have evidence that takes place in reality?
OT: I think you're going to have to wait until you move out of the house. They'll gang up on you, otherwise. I know they're your family, but i find it disturbing that they straight up told you that their prejudices were more important than having you around if you were gay. That's kind of messed up.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
mxfox408 said:
hate the sin not the sinner.
Two things:

One: saying "Hate the sin not the sinner" is the exact same as me saying "I hate religion but not the religious". I loathe your religion. I despise it. I want to burn it to the ground. I want to dance on its ashes, that thing that comprises a lot of your life is my biggest hate. I want to rip it out and stamp on it. But i like you! Youre fine! (this isnt my view, im trying to show how they overlap somewhat and how its still offensive).

Two:I also find the "gay is a choice" thing hilarious. I could make ANYONE in the world gay, including you, if i made a good enough advertisement and argument for doing so.

"Hey dude, why dont you try being attracted to COCK!"

"WOW I THINK I WILL!"

Which is basically the same as

"Hey dude, why dont you try being attracted to TABLES!"

"WOW I THINK I WILL!"

Could i convince you to find obese women attractive? What about fish? Or telephones? Could i conceivably argue with you and advertise them to you until you found them sexy? I dont think i could. There is a lot more between me and a cock than a good advert. And you too.

I know you have heard this a thousand times before but the Bible says many things are wrong and sinful. Do you abstain from all of them? Its basically impossible to do so. Is one sin "sinnier" than another sin? How do you decide if blasphemy is worse than being gay or the other way around?

Id also like to point out that some churches and some priests want to marry gay people. Isnt making that illegal violating their freedom of religion? These religious officials want to perform a religious ceremony on THEIR religious ground. Who are you to say YOUR religious beliefs mean the priests cant perform theirs? No priest should be forced to marry anyone. But its important to remember christians who dont think like you do have a right to have their own ceremonies. You are under a BIG label when talking about Christianity. No one wants to force anyone to do anything. They want to restore the rights of priests to marry who they wish to marry under their own religious teachings.
your can hate my religion all you want, it doesn't matter, and I surely can care less if you like me. but im also entitled to my beliefs and if you read my lasts posts you'd understand my point. but instead your picking and choosing you are herethe point is here.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
mxfox408 said:
your can hate my religion all you want, it doesn't matter, and I surely can care less if you like me. but im also entitled to my beliefs and if you read my lasts posts you'd understand my point. but instead your picking and choosing you are herethe point is here.
I dont hate your religion... keep reading that sentence. I was saying that to say you hate the sin but not the sinner is akin to what i said. I didnt MEAN it! I even said so at the end of the scentence! I have nothing against religion at all XD

(this isnt my view, im trying to show how they overlap somewhat and how its still offensive).
I had a feeling that might cause some confusion. I never meant to make you think i actually thought this. What i wrote was very offensive to try and make a point about how gay people might feel when you say you "hate their sin". It might be the same way you feel when people say they hate your religion.

I even make arguements for freedom of religion in the last paragraph. Please please please keep reading what i wrote and dont instantly assume im REALLY bashing your religion when im actually drawing parallels between two different view points.

I dont have anything against you or your religion at all. I worded my point poorly and didnt make it clear enough that i was voicing a view that is NOT MY OWN, i missed a quotation around the end of the phrase to mark the end of the point where im saying "Its like IF i said this to you". Not that i was actually saying it to you. Misunderstanding.

Also as an Englishman the phrase you want is "You couldnt care less" by saying you "could care less" all youve told me is you definitely care.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
mxfox408 said:
I dont hate your religion... keep reading that sentence. I was saying that to say you hate the sin but not the sinner is akin to what i said. I didnt MEAN it! I even said so at the end of the scentence! I have nothing against religion at all XD

(this isnt my view, im trying to show how they overlap somewhat and how its still offensive).
I had a feeling that might cause some confusion. I never meant to make you think i actually thought this. What i wrote was very offensive to try and make a point about how gay people might feel when you say you "hate their sin". It might be the same way you feel when people say they hate your religion.

I even make arguements for freedom of religion in the last paragraph. Please please please keep reading what i wrote and dont instantly assume im REALLY bashing your religion when im actually drawing parallels between two different view points.

I dont have anything against you or your religion at all. I worded my point poorly and didnt make it clear enough that i was voicing a view that is NOT MY OWN, i missed a quotation around the end of the phrase to mark the end of the point where im saying "Its like IF i said this to you". Not that i was actually saying it to you. Misunderstanding.

Also as an Englishman the phrase you want is "You couldnt care less" by saying you "could care less" all youve told me is you definitely care.
Like I stated people can hate my beliefs all they want, its not going to change anything, the problem as I stated is if people feel the need to hate others because people don't agree with their beliefs or don't like their life style, is a bit immature. I hate most liberal principles, I have a ton of liberal friends. For them to hate me based on my beliefs and vice versa is stupid, so we agree to disagree. More people need to take that approach.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Like I stated people can hate my beliefs all they want, its not going to change anything, the problem as I stated is if people feel the need to hate others because people don't agree with their beliefs or don't like their life style, is a bit immature. I hate most liberal principles, I have a ton of liberal friends. For them to hate me based on my beliefs and vice versa is stupid, so we agree to disagree. More people need to take that approach.
Well that makes sense. Thats some good stuff you said there. I can grant you that at least youre consistent in your approach. I have zero issues with your beliefs. My insanely poor wording turned an example of a view into my view by misplacing a close quotation. Thank you for being understanding. I can agree more people definitely need to take the approach you described.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Stop pestering people about what you consider illogical behaviour.
If you want to go through life, correcting every single idiot that crosses your path, then you are going to die alone and early. People just don't like people who rattle at their beliefs.

If you want to continue being everyone's uninvited teacher, then you will have to suck up the following backlash. There is no magic potion that makes people listen to you as you fumble away at their opionions.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Unfortunately, it seems like your family refuses to listen to any arguments opposing their beliefs. Humans have a natural tendency to cling to certain beliefs, even if they are proven irrefutably incorrect right in front of their eyes (this isn't just about opinions, it's facts as well.) I don't really like arguing, so I when I hit a point in a discussion where it starts moving in circles, I will acknowledge that neither party is going to back down or change their opinions based off an argument, and I push to "agree to disagree." Luckily, I grew up in a more liberal community and homophobic people are very very rare here, so I haven't had to make any arguments toward that case, but I have been asked to not mention my opinions around extended family. The only homophobic people I've known, I stopped associating with because I don't feel comfortable when disparaging comments toward non-heteronormative individuals are made, and I dislike arguing as I've mentioned before. Also, I'm asexual, so I'm not too fond of dealing with people who are closed-minded about sexuality anyway.

Probably not the best advice to "just ignore it," but it is the path of least resistance if they won't listen to opposing arguments.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Yesterday my dad told me he thought I was going to grow up to be a mass murderer or a suicide bomber, just because I believed in gay rights.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
why does this thread simultaneously make me want to just give up and have hope for the future at the same time? One side, I see such blatant refusal to learn or change, let alone acknowledge the faults and hypocrisy of their beliefs in the topic starter's family. On the other I see the topic starter trying to understand and rationalize in spite of them.

Bottom line, rationally, intellectually and morally, homophobia is indefensible, in much the same way racism and religious superiority complexes are. And much like those beliefs, you wont change their minds, and only a faint hope exists of them changing their own. Your best bet, if seeking to address your family, is to let them know where you stand, let them know why you think they are in the wrong (the poster who mentioned Turning and how a homosexual helped make computers is a great example of just why their view is evil) and let them know that fear-mongering, illogic and threats of ostracizing are not compelling reasons for anyone to do anything, let along you to change a belief.