So, my family is homophobic.

May 14, 2011
I will start by saying that I am not gay and that my dad is homophobic.
My dad is sort of a chauvinist so he won't really accept any argument that I give him if it's at odds with one of his preexisting opinions.

What I told my dad regarding my opinion of gay marriage (I'm okay with it) I told him that if a certain person is happy with another person that happens to be of the same gender than what right does anyone have to tell them they cannot be happy. With this argument in mind, the only reason to say no would be if you're a religious fundamentalist and feel that it's your duty to oppose it because the Bible says it's an abominable act. Other than that, if the two people involved are adults and agree to be in a relationship than there is nothing bad or evil or (DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN) unholy happening.

I believe I remember studying in philosophy that a person is free to do anything he wishes as long as the consequences of his actions do not negatively affect another person. This is what I base my argument on. If two people are adults and both want to be in a relationship than no one has any right to deny them no matter what there genders are (unless maybe STDs are involved but that goes without saying).

Also, for the people who understand gay people only as "OMGWTFIRIQIFY!!! THEY HAVE BUTT SEX!", news-flash there are women who accept and enjoy anal sex in case homophobic people forgot that. Also good hygiene is practiced in case anal sex is considered, just in case that was forgotten as well.

Finally, to anyone who brings up that "Then what's to stop pedophiles from marrying children?" argument I say take a look at The Jimquisition on the site. He had two more recent videos in which he talked about this issue and how moronic (not to mention hateful) it is to bring this up in the context of discussing homosexuality. Also, for anyone interested, look up the movie Child Bride for the topic of pedophilia.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Tayh said:
How exactly is Texas a part of south america again?
Woopsie daisy, I meant south UNITED STATES, and my fat ignorant mind used the words south America to describe the south of the BEST MURKA DAT DER IS.

Hold on, I'll fix it.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
I know what your going through. My parents are hardcore racists that hate black people for no damn reason I mean it's so bad that when my brother told them he loved his girlfriend and was going to marry her they flipped out and told him they would disown him which led to him telling them to fuck off and that he is never coming back leading to me not seeing him for ten years due to these dumb asses I call family. So sorry about your situation, but I doubt it will get better anytime soon.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Black-Toof said:
My parents are very homophobic aswell.

Their main argument always boils down to: "It's just not natural!"

ME: "Surely it doesn't matter what they do in their own privacy."
THEM: "It's just not natural!"
ME: "Why?"
THEM: "Because it's just F**kin isn't"
ME: "They can't help how they feel"
THEM: "I don't F**kin care!"

As you can see as soon as the topic arises, they start getting very vocal and angry.
It's just the way they are.
Tell them to google gay animals. If gay animals are not natural then i wonder what is.
A lot of animals have gay tendencies (many more then people think). Still doesn't beat some animals changing gender when needed.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I've always wondered, what does the US hate about Liberals, anyway? I've never once seen an American call someone a Liberal in a positive way. I thought you guys loved Liberty... (the same goes for Germans, though I never thought they loved Liberty, so...)

I always reckoned that if someone thinks something that's objectively wrong, all you can do is tell them what's right, and if they don't listen, just don't talk about it. Some people just have irrational beliefs, by definition you can't argue against irrational ideas with logic =p

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Unfortunately, while the myth is that your parents are someone you can talk to about anything, the truth of the matter is that there are just some things that they're better off not knowing or discussing with you. They're still people, after all, and fallible as everyone else. It's a horrible thing to realize, but there it is, and this sounds like one of those cases.

I've got a similar problem. I live in Georgia (mmm, the Deep South; listen to those banjos twangin') and there are things I just can't talk to my parents about. Religion (not a christian) and homosexuality are two of the big ones. I've found that, whenever they bring up the subject, the best strategy is to nod, make vaguely acknowledging sounds, and change the subject as quickly as you can.

May 29, 2011
I don't know really. I'm one of those people who spends WAY to much time thinking about what I think about something, and why I think it and should I think about it that way and does it make sense and oh god why is he looking at me like that, should I try talking to him I don't really know him and SHIT he just asked me something... *ahem* and I find it difficult to argue with people who DON'T since I allways assume they have a (to them) rational reason behind all their thoughts, which lets face it nearly no one does.

Usually I just don't. I have a friend who believes that women shouldn't be priests because their bodies can't handle the MYSTICAL ENERGIES behind sermon. If I tried arguing with him, no matter how many completely correct points I made he'd just be mad at me afterwards. If people have decided to believe in something without a logical reason their not likely to stop believing in it for a logical reason, and really once you eliminate logic from an argument there ain't much you can do.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i would just point out that homo sexuality was far far more prevelant in roman/greek olden times in general. manly men doing manly things together in a manly culture.

many straight women enjoy sodomy, so not only gay people have butt sex.

gay people like any people are people, they have hopes, dreams, fears that any other person has just because they are attracted to the same sex should not disqualify them as human beings just because you do not like them.

if they into jesus, jesus said love everyone, do not judge, he who is without sin cast the first stone, jesus tended to hang out with "sinners" the sick, prostitutes, mentally ill, common folk, etc.

and if straight people should have to pay for divorce and go thru all the pain and anguish of all that BS, why should we deprive gay people of the same joys of matrimony and all the BS that entails when it crumbles into ruin. :p

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
First off *hug* you sound like you need it.

I've had to put up with bigoted people my entire life, it comes with the territory unfortunately, and I have found that most people can't be swayed from their perspectives. It has happened on occasion I was able to change peoples opinions about homosexuality simply by being myself, but others will always hold on to their beliefs, simply because they don't enjoy admitting fault.

I would suggest invite a gay friend over, maybe not tell your parents right away about his homosexuality, see if they enjoy his company. If they see that he is an normal, friendly person, and THEN they find out he is gay, they might being to change their minds.

....or they'll assume you're banging. Could go either way ;P

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
The Art of War says you should never fight a battle you can't win. It might be best to just let sleeping demons lie.

JSkunk22

May 20, 2009
It depends on age, really. If your parents have lived 20+ years on getting fed hateful misinformation about homosexuals, then chances are they could never change. I know it's rude to say, but they are damaged goods. With or without people like them, the world is changing and gays are actually going to be treated like human beings as the world marches on.

It is funny when homophobic people complain about sodomy, because they very rarely complain about lesbian sexual acts.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
"If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you."

Check-mate!
Until recently with technology, if everybody was gay, population numbers would dramatically decrease.
So what? If all men had a vasectomy the population would decrease dramatically as well, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. It's a completely pointless argument.
At no point did I ever say that everybody is going to become homosexual.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:
"If you can offer a single piece of irrefutable evidence as to why homosexuality is uniquely destructive, I'll agree with you."

Check-mate!
Until recently with technology, if everybody was gay, population numbers would dramatically decrease.
So what? If all men had a vasectomy the population would decrease dramatically as well, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. It's a completely pointless argument.
So then it's not uniquely destructive is it? Why bring it up in that case?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!
It would be uniquely destructive if it did occur.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!
So would all men suddenly having vasectomies. I think you've misunderstood what he meant by uniquely destructive

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!
So would all men suddenly having vasectomies. I think you've misunderstood what he meant by uniquely destructive
Perhaps I did, he seems to imply it to mean one thing while I thought it implied another.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Hazy992 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Boudica said:

Check-mate!
Perhaps I did, he seems to imply it to mean one thing while I thought it implied another.
What he's asking is if there's a way that homosexuality could cause damage to society in a way nothing else could. As everyone being gay and all men getting vasectomies would both cause population decrease homosexuality isn't uniquely destructive in that regard.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
DeltaEdge said:
There are lots of versus in the Bible that actually address exactly what your parents are doing. Assuming that they are Christian, I would suggest asking to have a serious conversation about the Bible and then point out some key points like "hate sin not the sinner", address exactly how the Bible defines homosexuality, make clear the distinction between love and lust, and other points like how it says you shouldn't judge others because you are equally as bad. Just sit them down, find these parts in the Bible, and talk with your parents about them without being accusatory or telling them point blank, "you arewrong for thinking this way" because no one likes being told they are wrong and will likely start to close up and disregard what you are saying if you act like a jerk about it. That's about the best advice I can give, and if they refuse to even listen to the bible, then there are some serious problems with their Christianity as well and not much can be done about that.
As a Christian I don't judge, its not my job, its the almightys job, my job is tio share my faith and respect everyone, its a hard thing to do. I however disagree with homosexuality as a sin, I care for the people, but as you said I disagree with the lifestyle and sin, it doesn't mean I condemn them, that's their choice to make. All I do is respect everyone. The problem however is most ask for respect but refuse to give it in return and that's where problems arise. I've been labeled a biggot and called a homophobe as a result of it, and that's where the stupidity comes into play, remember there are biggots on both sides, but I still won't resort to personal insults because someone has different beliefs as me, and thats where my next point comes into play, if you want people to take you seriously you need to show respect that you are demanding, its a two way road, insults and labels will just make people deaf, the bible states its wrong, black and white. But at the same time we need to love everyone. Not judge them, remember Christ once said to a mob that was about to stone a women to death for sinning, "Let he without sin cast the first stone" hate the sin not the sinner.