So, Oblivion might become a Movie....

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
They are? Damn it.

So what we'll be getting is a generic swords and sorcery film with bland characters and bad acting? I wonder if all the characters will stand stiff as a board and never blink?

In all seriousness though, I don't see how they could pull it off. The story was pretty boring to begin with, and all anyone ends up doing is faffing about doing random quests and beating up the occasional wolf. I don't see a good film in that.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Kinguendo said:
This is ridiculous, the games have no set protagonist. How would that work? Unless they do it from the point of view of someone else in the game who is doing things along side the main story and you hear references to some main events of the game during the film, that could work.
It could be from Martin's perspective. That would make sense to me.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
MiracleOfSound said:
The beginning credits are going to be a five minute loading scene.
The loading screens are incredibly brief compared to the likes of HL2 (moreso before the update that made the loading times a bunch faster), never longer than 30 seconds for me. =/

They're painfully long on my 360.... it's not just the length but the frequency of them, especially in towns (Cheydinhal is the worst). I put up with it though because the game is so sublime (350 or so hours and counting)

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
I don't see this ending well for anyone. Even if it does come out, it won't be worth watching.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
then how do you know the storyline is shit if you've never finished it?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
Kinguendo said:
This is ridiculous, the games have no set protagonist. How would that work? Unless they do it from the point of view of someone else in the game who is doing things along side the main story and you hear references to some main events of the game during the film, that could work.
It could be from Martin's perspective. That would make sense to me.
But Martin sees the protagonist all over the place... and he also doesnt do anything most of the time. :D

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
So basically it'd be the main plot of Oblivion... as a movie? That'd be terrible. The best part about Oblivion was the fact that I could avoid the terrible story -_-

EDIT

On this note, the protagonist (if they even feature) will be a bland Imperial stereotype no doubt (not a spell sword Dunmer or the Argonian assasin), probably your average white knight type character. On the bright side, they could get Patrick Stewart back to do Uriel's breif appearance and Sean Bean as Martin.

It could work, but it'd be a pretty standard tale. Hopefully it is not tied in with the game at all... and is a movie about something totally different.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
i will only be satisfied with the movie if they use the same 5 actors for every character and they keep up oblivions quality of writing (I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's possible that it will be good, but unlikely. I would rather The Elder Scrolls series got a load of books (a la Star Wars expanded universe) to make the most of the rich lore and backstory.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Role Playing Games always fall flat as Movies. Mainly because the Huge appeal of it is the ability to let the player choose his path. Hollywood won't be capable of doing that.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
zehydra said:
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
then how do you know the storyline is shit if you've never finished it?
Because I've gotten most the way through it and it was just your same old generic adventure. I was so bored by it that I just ended up being side tracked by most of the other missions and the rest of the world. Maybe it gets better later... However to what I played... Well it was boring shite. I think the best thing about the story is that Sean Bean is in it. However to the point I played it... Well he was just a quiet Monk who was hare to the throne. Come on, you have Sean Bean... You need him as a knight captain or some thing like that, where he can ham it up.

I admit I'm probably not the best to judge given that I never finished the main story but if the story was so boring and uninteresting that I had a better time killing 8 bears for some random women then I'm doubting the movie is going to be any better.

I really do need to complete it to get the last two achievements however I just can never be interested.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
I've given up hoping with video game movies now. They're either terrible or just don't happen. So great if it comes out but it probably wont.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Griphphin said:
I wouldn't want an Oblivion movie, as everything that I looooove about oblivion (just exploring the countryside, probing the NPC AI with random methods, being able to decide "maybe I'd rather not do that and just do this for the hell of it") would translate horribly into a movie.
Exactly, it just wouldn't work. What are they gonna do, track the main questline? Because someone should tell them that everyone hates that.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Isn't Oblivion the game with the "Stop right there, criminal scum"?
If they get that guy in it, I'd watch it.

But seeing as that's as much knowledge as I have on Oblivion, even if the film is of the game, I doubt I'll be taking a looksee.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
That just wouldn't work at all. What make Oblvion great was the world, not the story since it was pure crap. You can't put that into a movie.

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
SODAssault said:
The good news is, staying true to the source material would save them a ton on actors' fees.
Hire six people to do all the acting? Would still be awesome!!

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
They decide to make an Elder scrolls movie and then the pick the one that has by far the worst story.
That's fine with me. They can ruin Oblivion because it is shit already, just DON'T TOUCH MORROWIND