So, Oblivion might become a Movie....

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
No you won't get burned because everyone but the most fanboish of Oblivion fanboys says that the story is shit :)

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
Meh, I don't see how Oblivion can be translated into a t.v series.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Sovvolf said:
zehydra said:
Sovvolf said:

then how do you know the storyline is shit if you've never finished it?
Because I've gotten most the way through it and it was just your same old generic adventure. I was so bored by it that I just ended up being side tracked by most of the other missions and the rest of the world. Maybe it gets better later... However to what I played... Well it was boring shite. I think the best thing about the story is that Sean Bean is in it. However to the point I played it... Well he was just a quiet Monk who was hare to the throne. Come on, you have Sean Bean... You need him as a knight captain or some thing like that, where he can ham it up.

I admit I'm probably not the best to judge given that I never finished the main story but if the story was so boring and uninteresting that I had a better time killing 8 bears for some random women then I'm doubting the movie is going to be any better.

I really do need to complete it to get the last two achievements however I just can never be interested.
I found that the story really picked up once you entered Mankar Camoran's paradise

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
huh, that would be... different, I am not sure if it would be a good thing or not.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
I'm kind of hoping for it, so I can see my favorite video game made into a movie.
On the other hand, my favorite video game might be made into a movie... Ehh...

DSK-

May 13, 2010
If it really is 'that' Oblivion, then it needs to have the line "I've fought mud crabs more fearsome than you!".

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
That would be a horrible movie - you get Patrick Stewart spouting inane NONSENSE for 3 minutes, then you meander the woods looking for dungeons to pillage for 2 hours.

That would be the best case scenario.

Oblivion has such a horrible storyline that I can't even imagine it as anything but the game where it is... sitting right on top of a giant ball of freedom of choice - distinct from the ball, like a hot air balloon resting on the earth. Your character in Oblivion isn't some important figure. He's basically just a prisoner that caught a lucky break, then WATCHED the story unfold.

Are there stories in Elder Scrolls that might make an interesting game? Yeah, alright, I can see that, and maybe if you nixed the whole "using the main character from the game in the movie" idea, the main story of oblivion might suffice. But Elder Scrolls bucks a lot of the trends in High Fantasy. Magic is Omnipresent, not some mystical faraway thing, but at the same time, it hasn't elevated the world past its High Fantasy setting. The races in The Elder Scrolls are odd. Orcs that are civilized? Dwarves that are really elves? 4 "races" of humans that are almost entirely unrecognizable at a glance (except for Redguards - "the Black Guys" - who happen to be great at fighting and physical labor). 9 "gods" who are complete gibberish mostly.

The world just is too heavy to just easily set into a movie. Fans of the game will hate it (both for the reasons lifted from above and for the fact that most of those reasons will have to be cut), and the average moviegoer will not understand even a dumbed down version of the game - even the average gamer who isn't well introduced to the game wouldn't understand it.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
randomsix said:
It would be funny if it the protagonist forgot about the daedra and was off becoming the leader of all the guilds while the capital was overrun. I would pay money to see a parody like that.
I would actually rather enjoy that.

If it really is 'that' Oblivion, then it needs to have the line "I've fought mud crabs more fearsome than you!".
And that could be the tagline.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
*takes a deep breath* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... *takes a few more quick breaths* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... Oh screw it, I'll just let this video represent my feelings on this.

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
Knowing the quality of most fantasy movies (minus LOTR) this will end up being like that horrible Dungeon Siege movie. You know, the one with Jason Statham that features elves who are essentially Cirque du Soleil performers dressed in leaf suits and has the most generic story ever?

silverowl

May 6, 2009
IDK. i think it could be good, if they did it right, and not just focus on the whole game aspect, but build up a story, only using the world and the lore, cause thats what oblivion is about, the rest is up to the player, so world and lore would be good to see in a movie ( a good one) and u don't have to do all the quests, maybe the hero could say no to some because he just isn't like that, or make it like sin city so we follow four people for example the mage apprentice, the town guard/gladiator/warrior, the thief and the assassin, and it could be different races, i dont quite see the problem in making this film, they have almost everything they need right in front of them

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
I expect they'll make it, and then, at the end 5 minutes, remember the plot, so throw in a big magic 'splosion to sort it all out.

I look forward to it.

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
The Bucket said:
Fredrikorex said:
If they do a movie they should only use five or six voices in the movie to make It more like the game.
And all the actors should try and perfect a perpetual look of dull disinterest, even when you threaten to kill them and burn their children.
This made me lol. Seriously, though, I'm a perpetually late to the party gamer, so I've just started playing this game...but from the impression I've gotten so far, if handled delicately or just used as a loose basis it could make a not bad to good movie, but it's not entirely unlikely they'll screw it up.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
You could do a hell of a lot worse for a film concept than a story about regicide, lost heirs, journeys into Hell itself, followed by a triumphant final scene.

Oblivion's story actually makes a better movie than game.