So, Oblivion might become a Movie....

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
burzummaniac said:
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
Meh, I don't see how Oblivion can be translated into a t.v series.
I think it could work if done right. More the world of Elder scrolls than Oblivion like but you get my drift. See a T.V series lasts longer than a movie and can go on for much longer. You'd be able to flesh out the world more than you would in a movie and also be able to run multiple story arcs in a series.

Not saying that it would be perfect or brilliant but I'm saying that if they wanted to make a live action Elder Scrolls then it would be better in the form of a T.V series than a movie.

The series could end up like the Hercules series (Which I loved) or even some thing like Rome (Which I also loved)... If it didn't work... Then I guess it would be cancelled before we have to worry and we can bury it under the sand.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I wonder if the protagonist will somehow get stronger by sleeping?

Serious stuff though: An Oblivion movie would only work as long as it was using some other plot other than the game's story, which there really was none.
Yeah, the story of the game could basically be summed like this " A bunch of gates that somehow go to hell have opened up, go in to them and close them off"
That's it. There's no colorful cast of characters, there's the player and a horse (maybe).

A story set in the Elder Scrolls universe could be decent, I don't really think a movie about Elder Scrolls could rise beyond that though, unfortunately. It'd probably just come off as a LotR knock-off.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I really hope they don't go through with this. There's no way it could end well considering the track record of videogame movies, especially ones that are fantasy-based; just look at "In The Name of the King."

The game was great, isn't that enough?

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
The beginning credits are going to be a five minute loading scene.
Oh wow I laughed so hard it literally hurt!

As bad as it may be, I in my TES fangirlness would definatly see a movie set in the TES lore. Now to think it would be a rehash of the game is dumb since well...no. Did the DnD movie just redo a plot?

I mean, movie people are dumb enough to do it though, but they could easily tell a different story from Oblivion's time. Like showing the fate of Jiub (who died fighting deadra that came from the gates) or the events in Skyrim at the time.

Though I still would love a physical version of Talos or Reman either as a TES RTS game or something. The books are nice, but it would be nice to see some past history.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
RatRace123 said:
I wonder if the protagonist will somehow get stronger by sleeping?

Serious stuff though: An Oblivion movie would only work as long as it was using some other plot other than the game's story, which there really was none.
Yeah, the story of the game could basically be summed like this " A bunch of gates that somehow go to hell have opened up, go in to them and close them off"
That's it. There's no colorful cast of characters, there's the player and a horse (maybe).

A story set in the Elder Scrolls universe could be decent, I don't really think a movie about Elder Scrolls could rise beyond that though, unfortunately. It'd probably just come off as a LotR knock-off.
You and the others saying it may be some LOTR knock off is rather well...silly. Saying that suggests movies are usually unique and varied and that there are apparently too many elfish fantasy movies and not a billion buddy cop/criminal action/any other cliche film type films out there.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
Sovvolf said:
burzummaniac said:
Sovvolf said:
I'm probably going to get burned for this but well... I thought the actually storyline you follow in Oblivion was shit. Just your generic fantasy story which probably wouldn't make a good movie. The movie would seem like a LOTR rip off.

The story of Oblivion isn't the reason I play it. No it's the adventuring you do your self. You don't have to follow the main quest... I've never finished the main quest. I've made my own adventure. Travelling from A to B, doing quests for random people. Walking the earth like David Carrigan (I think that's his name) in Kung Fu.

I don't think some thing like that would translate well in a movie. Perhaps a T.V series... Not a movie though.
Meh, I don't see how Oblivion can be translated into a t.v series.
I think it could work if done right. More the world of Elder scrolls than Oblivion like but you get my drift. See a T.V series lasts longer than a movie and can go on for much longer. You'd be able to flesh out the world more than you would in a movie and also be able to run multiple story arcs in a series.

Not saying that it would be perfect or brilliant but I'm saying that if they wanted to make a live action Elder Scrolls then it would be better in the form of a T.V series than a movie.

The series could end up like the Hercules series (Which I loved) or even some thing like Rome (Which I also loved)... If it didn't work... Then I guess it would be cancelled before we have to worry and we can bury it under the sand.
Ah, I see your point now.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Ugh! They finally want to make a TES movie and they base it off Oblivion?

My god. It will be awful.