So People Are Noticing That Overwatch And Team Fortress 2 Are Quite Similar

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
Fordo said:
Aeshi said:
Yeah, funny how nobody was crying "rip-off!" back when Valve was copy-pasting WCIII models and adjusting their colour a bit for DOTA2. I'm sure the fact that bashing Blizzard is cool/in and bashing Valve isn't is just pure coincidence.
Dota was a mod for war3, not dev'd by blizz. That's why no one is crying 'rip-off'... pretty sure a lot of the original dota guys went to valve to work on their game.
Yeah, but you know the models DOTA uses? The Stock Warcraft ones? Pret-ty sure Blizzard still owns those, and Valve basically ripped the models off whole-sale (or am I supposed to believe Morhpling isn't a copy-paste of a Water Elemental because he's a slightly different colour?), a fact that everyone seems to ignore because Valve can do no wrong.
 

nightmare_gorilla

New member
Jan 22, 2008
461
0
0
New video game law man, EVERY company has to have 1 MOBA and 1 team deathmatch game, oh also must be working on the next "wow killer" at all times.
 

Devin Barker

New member
Aug 10, 2012
168
0
0
Admittedly I have never played TF2, but what im seeing here is "because a guy can draw the characters in each others clothes... relation" im sure the games have similarities (and again because I have not played TF2 maybe I dont get the extent of cross over) but art styles are similar sometimes... so?
 

LightningFast

New member
Feb 6, 2013
58
0
0
Ehhh... I'll admit, Mercy and Dorbinjorfenburger or whatever the dwarf is called are very similar to the existing medic and engineer, but this game's more character than weapon-oriented. I'm interested to see what unique ideas they'll have for specific characters, since they're adding characters as opposed to weapons, what with their fancy ultimate attacks.

I doubt I'll enjoy it more than TF2, though: the mobility-based gameplay is too much fun for me.
 

briankoontz

New member
May 17, 2010
656
0
0
Blizzard's corporate strategy is to wait for a market to be created, then enter and dominate that market. The market of the specific genre of video game. So World of Warcraft was the market dominator of Everquest, Hearthstone of Magic: The Gathering, Heroes of the Storm (they hope) of League of Legends, and Overwatch (they hope) of Team Fortress 2.

Blizzard no longer seeks to forge new paths or do anything original. They've been on a steady creative decline since their relatively original titles of Warcraft and Diablo.

It's overwhelmingly obvious at this point that if a new multiplayer genre comes along, Blizzard will be right behind with their own interface-mastered hyper-polished version of it to scoop up maximum market share.
 

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
446
0
0
AstaresPanda said:
CelestDaer said:
synobal said:
Like I'd be caught dead on tumblr. With out going into the whole "Sexualized" issue which is totally only in the head of feminist critics all I'm saying is its obvious blizzard set out to make their own take on the small scale class based co op shooter. Which is how we got overwatch.
Except the head of Blizzard made a statement about "Not all the women in Overwatch are going to be glorified sex objects"... and yet, all I've seen in the trailer is glorified sex objects.
I know right not a single real man in sight either they are all perfectly built and have great muscle definition
Yeah, it's not like 4 of the 5 female characters are wearing skin tight outfits with most of those having a large open cleavage, and the male characters have a single handsome guy in a revealing outfit with all the others being either dressed appropriately for combat, hulkish in appearance or plain inhuman.

I do like my characters to look appealing, but they can't really claim that they didn't sexualise the female's outfits in the game.
It's a little more even than Dota's characters, but still a little over saturated.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
8,620
1,651
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
briankoontz said:
Blizzard's corporate strategy is to wait for a market to be created, then enter and dominate that market. The market of the specific genre of video game. So World of Warcraft was the market dominator of Everquest, Hearthstone of Magic: The Gathering, Heroes of the Storm (they hope) of League of Legends, and Overwatch (they hope) of Team Fortress 2.

Blizzard no longer seeks to forge new paths or do anything original. They've been on a steady creative decline since their relatively original titles of Warcraft and Diablo.

It's overwhelmingly obvious at this point that if a new multiplayer genre comes along, Blizzard will be right behind with their own interface-mastered hyper-polished version of it to scoop up maximum market share.
Except Warcraft was based on the market created by Dune, Diablo was based on the roguelike genre, and going back even further, The Lost Vikings was based on Lemmings. One can also draw comparison between Blackthorne and the Prince of Persia series (cinematic platformer), and Rock n' Roll Racing with Mario Kart (kart/battle racing).

Aeshi said:
Yeah, but you know the models DOTA uses? The Stock Warcraft ones? Pret-ty sure Blizzard still owns those, and Valve basically ripped the models off whole-sale (or am I supposed to believe Morhpling isn't a copy-paste of a Water Elemental because he's a slightly different colour?), a fact that everyone seems to ignore because Valve can do no wrong.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm quoting it here because while it's Blizzard's M.O. to refine a genre already established, those genres are still set across a wide spectrum. Valve, on the other hand, had pumped out shooter after shooter, most of which are multiplayer-driven (Half-Life and Portal being the exceptions), and almost all of which are based on mods other people have created. So, come DotA 2 - a game that's more or less copy-pasted from previously developed game mechanics, with more or less copy-pasted models, with copy-pasted names of said models except for some slight deviations (Skeleton King became Wraith King, Windrunner became Windranger, etc.) Ironic that the one time Valve creates a game that has nothing to do with shooting, it's a case of them not actually "creating" it at all. Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's take to enter a well established genre, but its game mecahnics are built from the ground up, with great divergence from the norm (team leveling, multiple battlegrounds, objectives, the specialist class, etc.). DotA 2 however, is basically the same game it was over a decade ago with a slightly prettier paint job and support.

And yet, Valve are the "innovative" ones here... 0_0
 

ILikeEggs

New member
Mar 30, 2011
64
0
0
Hawki said:
And yet, Valve are the "innovative" ones here... 0_0
Despite the fact that I pretty much exclusively play Valve games, I haven't really seen them as being innovative for a long time. Of course it's always really cool when they implement(note how I don't say create) an interesting game mechanic such as the gravity gun or portal gun far better than anyone has ever done before.

I love playing TF2 competitively, but if Overwatch were to steal TF2's playerbase I'd actually think Valve deserved it for the simple fact that they haven't really kept the game in top-notch working order, despite the fact that it was the testing ground for literally every multiplayer-related cash-cow they've created. I mean, a 2008 game that won't run at max settings with a decent framerate on a top-of-the-line gaming rig? That's just disgusting.

Of course if the rumours about them porting TF2 to the Source 2 engine(when it's ready) are true, then they're far less likely to be hurt by Overwatch being good.
 

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
458
0
0
Are people going to call all class based shooters TF2 clones? Seriously I don't get how people can call this a TF2 clone when TF2 has what... 4 characters? Blizz has already announced about 15 or 20? They're both shooters, they both have classes. I wouldn't call it a clone.
 

GamemasterAnthony

New member
Dec 5, 2010
1,009
0
0
Qizx said:
Are people going to call all class based shooters TF2 clones? Seriously I don't get how people can call this a TF2 clone when TF2 has what... 4 characters? Blizz has already announced about 15 or 20? They're both shooters, they both have classes. I wouldn't call it a clone.
Agreed. Sure, there are comparisons between the two games, but that's a far cry from calling it a clone.

I will say this though: One of two things is gonna happen...and I suspect the first has happened already. Either people are going to ship the TF2 charas with the Overwatch charas (which probably already happened between the Scout and Tracer), or there's going to be a Death Battle between the two games' characters. The latter of which, I would absolutely love to see.
 

irishda

New member
Dec 16, 2010
968
0
0
CelestDaer said:
synobal said:
Like I'd be caught dead on tumblr. With out going into the whole "Sexualized" issue which is totally only in the head of feminist critics all I'm saying is its obvious blizzard set out to make their own take on the small scale class based co op shooter. Which is how we got overwatch.
Except the head of Blizzard made a statement about "Not all the women in Overwatch are going to be glorified sex objects"... and yet, all I've seen in the trailer is glorified sex objects.
I only saw one in heels though, so progress!