So.... reasons why wouldnt you go to australia?

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
AngryMongoose said:
The heat. Summers in England leave me debilitated. The south of France leaves me incapacitated. Australian summers would leave me dead.
You're not English; we haven't had a summer in three years! :p

Seriously, I can't think of anything that would keep me away from Australia except the possibility of a large macho subculture, but as I have never been to Australia that is probably just media misrepresentation and frankly I would love to go to see what it's like.

The fascinating wildlife (the most exciting thing in the UK is the adder, and they're endangered), awesome landscape and being able to see Australian Aboriginal land art would be amazing...

But I has no monies.

Mercury1

Nov 23, 2011
how about not telling your citizens about a new gun legislation then have the police round em' up and get them destroyed
that's as close to nazi germany you can get without having 1/3 of a mustache !!!

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
As has been said before, the bugs, I actually like bugs usually, but when I see pictures like this, [http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f181/154593d1271597403-bird-eating-spider-bird_eating_spider.jpg] I immediately turn into a 4 year old girl. I know I'd probably have a bigger chance of encountering a shark or something (You know something that can fucking EAT ME instead of just inconveniance me) and even that's a pretty small chance if I don't do anything stupid, but the bugs are still my biggest worry.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I have this idea its just a wasteland but brochures and news show the good places.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
All that censorship bollocks, the fact that everything there can kill you, the backwards seasons, the fact that everything's expensive as hell, the fact that it's a long-ass way away, and the fact that I like Canada, for the most part.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
I live in Australia, and the reasons i'm reading are absurd. Unless you actively look for these Spiders ect you never see them. I have seen few massive spiders/snakes in the 18 years i have been here. I live in melbourne, which was called the most livable city in the world. However the main thing to be concerned with is walking around at night, crime is actually pretty prominent here, especially where i live.

However some things i would change:

- Hot weather(no where near as bad here as Central Australia, WA or NT though)
- $100-120 retail price for games
- Censorship
- Safety of streets at night.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
Mainly the animals, but since im the next door neighbour (New Zealand), im fine right here.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Duruznik said:
Redlin5 said:
Things kill me. Also really expensive to cross two hemispheres.
Wouldn't crossing two hemispheres mean circling the Earth and ending up where you started?
Yes you're right! I said that because I wouldn't move to Australia for good, I'd only visit if I could afford it. I love Canada way too much to leave.
*slaps head* Of course, you're right! Derp, didn't think of that.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
None, I've already been there, and now I have to go back someday. The large animals aren't really that big of a deal, sure, it sounds bad, but it isn't as bad as people say it is.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
deidara said:
- Safety of streets at night.
Mate, you live in the Ecstasy Capital. You are somewhat unique. In case you ask I'm from Canberra. Shame on me...

Sure it's a general rule that anywhere with darkness and drunks is dangerous. But for the uninitiated, is special due to it's large and prominent drug trade. Watch the film Animal Kingdom. Or Underbelly. Or Bad Eggs. Or Chopper. Or Romper Stomper. Or listen to a TREM album. Or find some other source of fiction that is obviously truth.

Wait, Animal Kingdom was actually a true story...don't go to Melbourne.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
silent-treatment said:
Here is the real question...it is true you guys have a spider that lives in Sydney that has MF NEURO-TOXINS? If so then that is my arachnophobic ass isn't going to Australia.

In reality I would love to see it if I had money to do so. :(

Edit:
Sedrine said:
Don't worry, once you're here long enough you build up an immunity to the venomous wildlife. On the other hand, these things are terrifying:

WARNING: Don't click these if you get scared easily (especially the last one)!

I don't know man, do you see how that thing is looking at the camera. Dangerous beast...
DO NOT LET A KOALA CLIMB YOU.
If they become frightened they can dig those claws into you with an iron grip. I am dead serious.

EDIT: kangaroo's and wombat's are even more dangerous, just thought you should know that I've seen a wombat shrug off leaving a dent in a car grill, and that their teeth are for cutting through roots and they move with surprising speed under the right circumstances.

I read a story once about a man who stopped to take a picture of a wombat who apparently was having a bad day. It sprinted at him, knocked him over, and ripped of a large chunk of his inner thigh nearly neutering him.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
I have 0 reasons to NOT go there as I'd love to visit Australia, besides the flies. Live there? That's a different story. No, too much shit trying to kill me. I like walking out into my yard and being the biggest, baddest most lethal thing there is. I kill shit I step on and doesn't kill me.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I went to Australia once and found out they have GIANT FRICKEN SPIDERS! Seriously, walked into a web and it was like walking into a clothesline... owned by some sort of vampire.

NegaWiki

Oct 1, 2011
I would rather not go. My untrained ears would not be able to comprehend those strange accents, my natural skin color would attract racists, I have a very shameful Texas drawl, I refrain from using Skype and I pass up on international trips because of it.

Plus the spiderses are supposedly plentiful.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
I live here, but the reasons I'd move:

Horrible racism
Horrificly bad internet. Really, terrible terrible internet. Most other countries have far better internet.
Spiders. Bah.
Prices- Everything here is expensive, and for reference a retail game can cost 120 bucks new. And aussie dollars are worth more then american. :(

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Why is this thread back?...

GeneralTwinkle said:
Horrificly bad internet. Really, terrible terrible internet. Most other countries have far better internet.
Massive public opposition to attempts to get good internet

Not to mention:
Massive public opposition to environmental policy
Massive public opposition to democracy functioning as intended
Massive public opposition to whatever the opposition tells them to oppose
Massive public opposition to... well anything that costs them money pretty much

Honestly it's like living in a forum

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Dryk said:
Why is this thread back?...

GeneralTwinkle said:
Massive public opposition to attempts to get good internet
People oppose better internet?

But... why?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
GeneralTwinkle said:
People oppose better internet?

But... why?
You probably know most of this already but it's basically the Opposition declaring "Fibre is expensive and outdated, we can just use mobile broadband for baseload!" and the public responding "That sounds reasonable! Stop wasting our money on fibre!" without having much understanding of the limitations of mobile broadband, or how easy it is to upgrade a fibre network.

In addition it's a government-run business, which means that the wholesale prices will be enough to make back the $50 billion in x number of years, at which point they sell the business and make money. Apparently according to some rules somewhere, because it's guaranteed a return eventually it doesn't have to be accounted for in the budget, and it's evidently really easy to rile people up about expensive investments that aren't in the budget.

It also doesn't help that most of the vocal opposition comes from people who can't think of any reasons we might like to have reliable high-speed internet in five years.