So Ronery - The gamer with no friends

RingaFiar

New member
Mar 12, 2011
132
0
0
Thought the South Park ref would be a good way to start.

I'm wondering if anyone's in the situation where they are happy to play online games but they can't get any of their fleshy buds to join in.

I've played a few games online and it's seriously hard work to get their friends to splash the cash, so you end up teaming with complete strangers (some of which can end up being great peeps too!)

My personal experience was playing Lord of the Rings Online and trying to get the guys to play. Left for Dead 2 didn't work either.

I like to think they've all missed out on a great experience.

Anyway, enough ranting....what are the games you've desperately wanted your friends to play that hasn't worked?
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
I've the opposite problem, there aren't enough decent splitscreen games out there for me to play with my buddy.
 

RingaFiar

New member
Mar 12, 2011
132
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
I've the opposite problem, there aren't enough decent splitscreen games out there for me to play with my buddy.
Sorry for naivety Miracle, I guess you're talking 2 peeps with controllers on same screen (gears of war 1 for eg?)

Was talking more about getting friends online to play same game, I suppose what you've said there applies too.
 

Rylot

New member
May 14, 2010
1,819
0
0
My cousin wanted the coop achievements for Too Human so he kept pestering all of his friends to get the game. finally when none of them would do it he had to buy a friend a copy of the game. They both said the game was way better coop, but still not that great.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
RingaFiar said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I've the opposite problem, there aren't enough decent splitscreen games out there for me to play with my buddy.
Sorry for naivety Miracle, I guess you're talking 2 peeps with controllers on same screen (gears of war 1 for eg?)

Was talking more about getting friends online to play same game, I suppose what you've said there applies too.
Oh right...

Well, my buddies won't play Bulletstorm with me because they think it'll be crap.

Guess what is the one game they'll play with me....
 

RingaFiar

New member
Mar 12, 2011
132
0
0
Rylot said:
My cousin wanted the coop achievements for Too Human so he kept pestering all of his friends to get the game. finally when none of them would do it he had to buy a friend a copy of the game. They both said the game was way better coop, but still not that great.
Thats sort of what i mean Rylot, cheers for post.

Ultimately (and yeah I know I should have made this clearer in OP), I'm talking about having a great gaming experience and thinking it'll be so much better if your friends will join in.

I'm a meanderer by nature, for example; this bit I just typed wan't even necessary.
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
I could get a few people online when needed. In fact, I'm doing it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Halo-Fans] this Sunday in Reach at 1PM Eastern US time(you'll have to scroll down a bit to see it, 3rd news story).

Come one come all, for the funnest times you'll have in Halo: Reach!

/ultra-mega shameless plug

MiracleOfSound said:
Oh right...

Well, my buddies won't play Bulletstorm with me because they think it'll be crap.

Guess what is the one game they'll play with me....
In my defense, I haven't gotten Bulletstorm because I don't have enough money. And there are other games I want lots more.

*fantasizes about Deus Ex 3/Skyrim/Witcher 2*

Also, Journey tells me you guys got the greatest Black Ops game mode when I left. Any truth to this?
 

Rylot

New member
May 14, 2010
1,819
0
0
green_dude said:
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
Everything that isn't Call of Duty...
Which is sad really as CoD is a terrible game to play with friends. It requires no teamwork or even interaction with team mates.

OT: Team Fortress 2, I eventually got one guy to play after gifting him my HL2 (from the orange box).
Holy shit! You couldn't talk any of your friends into buying the Orange Box? That was the best deal in gaming history! Really nice of you to buy that for someone.

RingaFiar said:
Meh, No worries. I've stopped arguing things on the Religion & Politics board since I can't seem to get my point across very well. Welcome to the Escapist btw.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Irridium said:
Also, Journey tells me you guys got the greatest Black Ops game mode when I left. Any truth to this?
It was the best Black OPs mode ever:

Everyone had:

Maximum explosive damage
High speed

Killstreaks:

1 kill: RCXD
2 kills: valkyries
3 kills: care package

AK74u with Noob Tube
RPG

Frag, C4, Decoy

Scavenger
Sleight of Hand Pro
Second Chance

You would be shocked at how fun it was... a complete clusterfuck that exploited just about every shitty flaw in the game into something beautiful!
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
RingaFiar said:
Soo, is Bulletstorm a good laugh then?

I'll try the OP again another time :)
Yeah, it's super fun. It's co-operative though which isn't to everyone's taste. No VS modes.
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
None of my friends really play games aside from five minutes of Mario Kart or call of Duty once a month or so. About the best I can do with my friends is when they watched me go on a rampage in Red Dead Redemption.

Though my last girlfriend was a little bit of a gamer. One of the first times she came to my house, she saw the Twilight Princess case on the den table and said with amazement, "Oh!! I love Zelda!!". And then we looked at each other and had an awkward bonding moment, then she destroyed me in Brawl.
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
Irridium said:
Also, Journey tells me you guys got the greatest Black Ops game mode when I left. Any truth to this?
It was the best Black OPs mode ever:

Everyone had:

Maximum explosive damage
High speed

Killstreaks:

1 kill: RCXD
2 kills: valkyries
3 kills: care package

AK74u with Noob Tube
RPG

Frag, C4, Decoy

Scavenger
Sleight of Hand Pro
Second Chance

You would be shocked at how fun it was... a complete clusterfuck that exploited just about every shitty flaw in the game into something beautiful!
Wow...
That sounds...
wow.

I don't have words. It sounds so bad, yet it also sounds so damn fun.
 

Amethyst Wind

New member
Apr 1, 2009
3,189
0
0
I've had great times playing Gears of War online even without my F'n'B friends. (Gears 2 was okay but not great)

Halo and CoD, not so much, but I think that's because I'm not sold on First-Person games (the viewpoint, not just the mediocre shooters) more than anything else.

My F'n'B friends are in separate cities anyway, so it really isn't new to me.
 

Rayne870

New member
Nov 28, 2010
1,250
0
0
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
Everything that isn't Call of Duty...
*Bangs head on desk* This exactly, or WoW. I have essentially lost most of my friends since I quit WoW.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Irridium said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Irridium said:
Also, Journey tells me you guys got the greatest Black Ops game mode when I left. Any truth to this?
It was the best Black OPs mode ever:

Everyone had:

Maximum explosive damage
High speed

Killstreaks:

1 kill: RCXD
2 kills: valkyries
3 kills: care package

AK74u with Noob Tube
RPG

Frag, C4, Decoy

Scavenger
Sleight of Hand Pro
Second Chance

You would be shocked at how fun it was... a complete clusterfuck that exploited just about every shitty flaw in the game into something beautiful!
Wow...
That sounds...
wow.

I don't have words. It sounds so bad, yet it also sounds so damn fun.
Yep... it was amazing :D

Almost as fun as our MW2 mode where you can only get kills by cooking a frag in your hand and exploding yourself next to people :D