So "sandwich shaming" is now a thing.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

So apparently the lexicon of things offensive now includes saying what someone called a chicken burger is a chicken sandwich.

Just happened a few hours ago.
I was scrolling through r/food like I normally do. (Background, My wife and I are both in the culinary industry, so looking at this sub and others like it has been interesting at moments). Just like other times I make comments and praise, just general stuff, however, this time...well, this time it went way off.
Someone posted a picture, they labeled it [homemade ]Chicken Burger. For me, and most people, a burger is defined as a minced protein that is formed into a patty and placed in a bun. This however, was a piece of chicken that was breaded and fried and then placed in a bun.
The f-up...
I posted the comment "Chicken Sandwich"......then all hell broke loose.
Not more then 10 minutes later, I received a notification that I was temporarily banned, 30 days, for "shaming" the op. I asked the mod "how" and they replied with...
"Correcting someone in public is public shaming, on top of being incorrect, it's a pretty shitty comment to leave. The US calls it one thing and other countries call it a burger, it's a petty argument that we have little patience for. If you can imagine some weirdo walking up to you eating a chicken burger and going aKSUaLY iTs a SaNdwIcH, you would be shown the door"
I tryed to apologize, by saying
" wow....I was definitely not trying to offend anyone, honestly. I have never been banned before, and If I offended you, I apologize.
The mod then replied, "if you are looking to appeal your ban I would suggest self-reflection on the situation and educate yourself on the whole public shaming thing. Just being outraged isn't going to get you unbanned...."
The F-up gets deeper.......
At this point I was so confused how a simple comment of "chicken sandwich" could lead to this. The more I thought about it the stranger it became, I have been told a whole lot worse in person as well as been DM many rude things, way worse then "chicken sandwich". With this in mind I replied back
" you are being extremely rude. I apologized. Why don't you educate yourself on how someone is being sincere. It's fine I accept the 30 day ban...by the way I am not outraged. Just confused on how saying two words like "chicken sandwich" could trigger you and lead to a ban.
And then, almost instantly, I am now notified of being permanently banned from posting or commenting on r/food.
The last mod comment that was left, including them stating I am not allowed to contact the mods for 30 days; not allowing me to reply, simply stated
" Your ban has been extended to permanent as you clearly are not sincere in your apology or understand your actions. "
I still think this strange and definitely overkill. But what do I know 🤷‍♂️
TL;DR
So....now I am permanently banned from r/food...because of commenting "chicken sandwich" and being labeled as someone who shames others publicly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What...the flying...fuck...

...hah, just kidding. That would indicate I was actually surprised, but...I'm not. :(

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I could sort of understand it if there was a rule against this, because I can definitely see plenty of people on such a subredddit getting into arguments like "that's not REAL carbonara!" or "that isn't paella and therefore we will send you death threats". Frankly the guy who commented could have easily brought it up in a better way, but as the mod said, it's such a petty concern. Why would it be bannable offense?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Any country that would label a chicken sandwich a "chicken burger" is a shithole country.

Fight me.
I always felt the difference between them was if your chicken is in a cooked, solid piece (crumb/breading optional) and served hot it was a burger. If the chicken is torn directly from a a baked chicken - hot or cold - with no breading or crumb then it’s a sandwich.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, people get into fights(apparently) over if Burgers are also Sandwiches, but it's all part of the same issue that some people just having way too much damn time on their hands to get worked up about such things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, people get into fights(apparently) over if Burgers are also Sandwiches, but it's all part of the same issue that some people just having way too much damn time on their hands to get worked up about such things.
They must truly have nothing going on with their lives be arguing about sandwich/burger labels. Reddit can go screw themselves.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
They must truly have nothing going on with their lives be arguing about sandwich/burger labels. Reddit can go screw themselves.
Then TC read the Reddit thread and thought; hold my beer, I'll show my no-liferness by making a whine thread on another site about this discussion!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Here is the Mod's pinned response on r/food

(Sorry about the Trump)

Mod is on a major power trip, and takes themselves/their job way too seriously.

Thinks this is classified as "toxic" and "abuse", and says "We will always protect users that post here, that ranges from Pride posts that that always fill with homophobic bigots or removing racists from posts featuring POC." - I mean, lovely sentiment, but one is literal abuse, and the other is just a meme.

Even links a guide on how to "correctly correct someone".

Bloody hell.

(FYI, you can throw my hat into the "its a burger" category)

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jesus wept, it used to be that to be a political satirist you needed artistic flair and literary knowledge. The memes that sprung up about that bullshit photo of some poor bastard trying to eat his lunch convey neither.
I know, right?

Compare two posters about the vote to decide if Australia should have conscription in WW1, one for and one against:

Whichever way you stand on the issue (of 100 years ago), both of those put some effort into their political advert.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then TC read the Reddit thread and thought; hold my beer, I'll show my no-liferness by making a whine thread on another site about this discussion!
At least the TC has post something useful before. Besides, we're taking piss out of over sensitive imbeciles who finds sandwich an offensive term. If these people were complaining about any where in actual places in the world or the states, everyone would be laughing at them for the idiots they are. They know this, which is why none of them would go to a public place or restaurant and complain about said word.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Imagine living so petty a life as to need to powertrip on someone in a Reddit subforum.

Then again, some people will flip their shit if you make tea the "wrong" way, so maybe it's just a matter of leading such a ridiculously charmed and trouble-free life that you have nothing else to worry about.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean people threaten violence at the mere suggestion of pineapple on pizza, and describe those like myself who enjoy it, as abominations. So I don't really see this as any different from all the other food related wars that have plagued humanity for centuries. Or shit like "wearing white after Labor Day" Lot's of people have free time to quibble about silly things, like those of us on a gaming site, complaining about people on ANOTHER social site, complaining about something. :LOL: