So...that new MST3K season...

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
has anybody actually finished these? If so, which are the best of the bunch? I started Reptilicus, and thought it was bad. I'd heard the show hits its stride later, but I don't have time to sit through all the episodes with school. Can someone narrow down the best 2 or 3 episodes?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Honestly, I think Reptilicus was the worst of the bunch. Cry Wilderness was probably my favorite so far, just based on how nonsensical the movie is.

Edit: it's episode 2

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Having watched through to The Land That Time Forgot, so far I'm rather happy with it. Some bumps along the way, sure, and a few things in general I don't like- Jonah's voice is too much like Tom's to tell them apart easily, and there's almost no interaction between the SOL crew and the Mads outside of the opening sequence, for instances- but the original had some issues starting out as well. I'm just happy they did Starcrash; that movie has been begging for a good riffing, and the new crew didn't disappoint.
Natemans said:
I actually thought it was pretty good. The only flaw I have is that they are throwing way too many riffs per second.
Ditto. I understand that they're aiming for a "see it twice just to take it all in" thing, but it makes the first viewing feel a little difficult to follow.

Silentpony said:
They did Reptilicus, which I swear I thought Joel already did. But its a 1960s Dutch monster movie.
I wonder if you're confusing it with Gorgo? (A Mike episode, though.)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Sooo... is this season even worth watching? As a huge MST3k fan, I'm a bit apprehensive...

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I never really could get into old MST3K, it was exactly the kind of thing I thought I would like but it just had this weird...... dunno Nickelodeon vibe? that this one does not have.

Love the show thus far, seen nearly episode and will likely rewatch at some point. Kinda disappointed that nothing will ever be as insane as Cry Wilderness but still.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I've only seen Reptilicus so far, which was pretty good.

These things really depend on what you can get out of the source material.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
This is bad. Like...this is really really bad. This is 'Give everyone a refund and probably emotional compensation and swear upon pain of death never to act again' bad.
I quite enjoy it.

Silentpony said:
First off this new host, Heston, is a dud. He's awkward and stiff and sounds like he's reading for title cards he's never seen before. Worse than that his jokes aren't funny. They're that very specific quasi-quirky that if you've never laughed before you might think its cute, but if you're like a person, nah.
Not sure how this is any different than Joel's quality of "acting", especially in the first years of the show. He was so wooden, and stunted, and clearly reading off a card as well, that I fail to see how this is any more of a negative trait for him, than the original creator. I personally felt he was just fine, and that the odd behavior was on purpose, channeling that almost inhuman trait that was Joel's acting in front of a camera.

Silentpony said:
Tragically Crow and Tom are just fanfics of themselves. The voice actors are just close enough to the original voices so you notice they're not the original voices and it would have been better if they just came up with all new robots. Plus they seem to have changed their personalities. And I don't remember Tom speaking soooo slllooooowwwwllllyyyy bbbbeeeeefffffooooorrrrreeeeee.
I think they're just fine. As to the robots changing their personalities, that happened every time the actors running the puppets changed. The first guy to run Servo talked VERY slow, and was almost unintelligble, his voice was so low. Then when Kevin Murphy took over, Tom's personality changed significantly. Same with Crow when Trace left the show, and Bill Corbet took over. He's even said in interviews about how he had to find his own personality for Crow, instead of just mimicking Trace's personality. So again, I don't see how this, in itself, is a bad thing, it's par for the course with the show.

Silentpony said:
Felicia Day is Felicia Day and that's bad enough.
No argument here. I'm not a big fan of her, all I can say in regards to this show, is that I don't find her presence a detriment. I don't she brings much to the show, but she doesn't detract from it for me. She's just...there. Same thing with Patton Oswald. I REALLY don't like him, his acting stuff, or his personal behavior in a lot of ways. But again, he's just sort of...there.

Silentpony said:
The new sets I'm mixed on. They look fine, like the old Joel episodes, but somehow they come off as too desperate. Too wanting to be just like old MST3K, but also trying to be extra quirky 'cause quirky=lulz
Eh, I don't really care about the sets, that's never been something I care much about. They're just the background. I'm there for the riffing in the theater.

Silentpony said:
And Wil Fucking Wheaton. I mean fuck me, did they just grab a bunch of convention center green-room rats and say 'Do bad standup!'
I think it was more, they gave as many people as they knew, cameos on the show, especially if they helped back the kickstarter, which I'm guessing Wil did. What I can say, is that so far, at episode 9, Will hasn't shown back up. So I think he was just a pilot cameo, and you won't see him again.

Silentpony said:
For the sake of the old show I'm willing to give it one more episode to impress me, but damn am I glad I didn't donate to this!
The first episode does have some flaws, but I think it picks up around episode 3. For me personally, they do get better with each episode. That might not be the same for you, as you clearly have more negative things to say about the show than me, but I personally really enjoy it. My favorite episode so far is The Land that Time Forgot. The riffs are just perfect for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
Sooo... is this season even worth watching? As a huge MST3k fan, I'm a bit apprehensive...
I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Your mileage may vary of course, but I find it to be an excellent show, and keeps well with the spirit of the original.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Only seen Reptilicus and Cry Wilderness and I enjoyed it. Yeah, sometimes the jokes are a bit too fast paced, but I still enjoyed the overall experience. And god those movies... Cry Wilderness is hilarious. Like... the red lighting bits... it looks like it's supposed to be some horror movie and they're gazing into hell

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
I kinda like it.

Gypsy gets a few zingers in during the movies as well.

But what the heck is Gypsy putting down and lifting up during the show?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Groxnax said:
I kinda like it.

I assume it's just random stuff that she has to move around the ship as part of the operations. I doubt they put much thought into what's in the box, they just wanted a reason for her to come into the theater every episode and riff a bit. Remember the MST 3K Mantra. "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts...." :D

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Groxnax said:
I kinda like it.

I assume it's just random stuff that she has to move around the ship as part of the operations. I doubt they put much thought into what's in the box, they just wanted a reason for her to come into the theater every episode and riff a bit. Remember the MST 3K Mantra. "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts...." :D

Ah yes, the mantra of the MST3K. Gotta love it.

LOL.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
The Loves of Hercules and Yongari were amazing finds. Fuck the haters, MST3K is back!
I love the Loves of Hercules. I've got that downloaded on my iphone so I can watch it at any time. My second favorite is the Land that Time Forgot. It's just so...stupid, it's wonderful. And their riffs.

But hands down, the Herc movie is my favorite.

What about everyone else? I'm assuming by now, if you're a fan, you've seen the entire run. What are you favorite episodes? Speak truthfully, or you will answer to my tiny nipples!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
See, early on I would've said that Cry Wilderness was my favorite, but Yongary grew on me.

I'm really gonna have to watch them all a few more times to get to the meat of things.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
BeetleManiac said:
Fuck the haters, MST3K is back!
Yeah, in a soulless stiff, humorless sorta' way. Like a zombie. An MST3K zombie. A defiled corpse given unnatrual life and sent to shamble and moan until its mercifully put down.