so the earth is F***ed aparently..

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
http://io9.com/5966689/after-extensive-mathematical-modeling-scientist-declares-earth-is-fucked

so some scientist guy is saying that environmentally the earth if F***ed more or less

however what I find interesting is that this guy in a green hat an dpink hair seems to be advocating some kind of "pre technology" society
[quote/]In some ways, he says, this sends us back to pre-technology, pre-capitalist times, which promotes the stability we have otherwise lost. He went on during our conversation:

Because resistance cultures do replicate to some extent the long time scales and tightly connected time scales within indigenous cultures, we might expect that the influence of resistance, even without thinking about the details, would be to stabilize and promote sustainability.[/quote]

now this I find absolutly rediculous, not only is somthing like this pretty much impossible without nuclear level widepsread destruction (oh god...don;t give this guy any ideas) but the Idea is that its somehow preferable to go back to the dark ageis in the name of the environment...thats F***ed

also
[quote/]Capitalist society moves too quickly, and our connections to each other and the world have become too superficial, to avoid destroying the world. But resistance movements ? Werner cited the Arab Spring and Occupy movements as recent examples ? could disrupt our otherwise inevitable course of enviro-destruction.[/quote]
what the fuck is this^? hardly sounds scientific

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
time to speed up our space program so we can colonize other worlds. The sooner we get off this rock, the sooner we dont have to worry about some random event wiping all mankind out.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TopazFusion said:
> "That's a hard proposition to gather evidence for scientifically"

Yeah, his proposed 'solutions' are pretty extreme. Not to mention, not exactly very scientific.
it actually makes me angry

some F***er wants to take away my PC and stuff he can do so while I work a shotgun on his abdomen...fucking anarchist wankers have no clue *grumble* I need to calm down

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
When the sun dies, yeah the earth is doomed. I didn't bother reading the article, just thought I'd mention this to anyone that still harbors illusions that this planet is somehow special and eternal.

We probably won't even survive as a planet until that time in the far far future, due to our weakening magnetic field which is the sole thing keeping us from getting blasted by solar winds among other things.

Also, I know this guy named H. Farnsworth that has his finger precariously close to THE BUTTON.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Vault101 said:
TopazFusion said:

Yeah, his proposed 'solutions' are pretty extreme. Not to mention, not exactly very scientific.

some F***er wants to take away my PC and stuff he can do so while I work a shotgun on his abdomen...fucking anarchist wankers have no clue *grumble* I need to calm down
*sighs*

Come on now, Vault101, say the mantra with me: Murder is illegal...Murder is illegal...Murder is illegal...Murder is illegal...

OT: It's been getting to my mind that we've already passed at least one and possibly several thresholds that will result in the earth...not being a very nice place for us to live any more.

As for just how the world will end I find the number of possibilities on this list [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_millennium] quite...interesting.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
People were happier, less stressed and better fed a few thousand years ago. I see nothing wrong with wanting to go back.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
5ilver said:
People were happier, less stressed and better fed a few thousand years ago. I see nothing wrong with wanting to go back.
HAHAHAHAHAHA *gasp* hahaha ha

what?

what evidence do you have of this? ESPECIALLY the better fed part...

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Well, as far as food goes, the size of a human has generally seen a steady increase which suggests food was plentiful. If there's a lack of food-> you get smaller or die and vice versa.

As far as stress and happiness, pretty much everything people did back then must have been related to hunting/fishing and eventually growing crops. And sex obviously. Whereas right now, we're forced to spend approx 7-20+ years doing nothing but studying. And then working behind a desk for the next 30 years after that :/
Compare that to doing literally nothing but drinking alcohol, fishing and making babies.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yes, let's go back to the good old days, before all the horrid technology, where 20 miles was a hard days trip, you never left your home town, filth and rats where everywhere, surgery was done with hacksaws, all but the nobility was eternally poor, you had to work 365 days a year to make sure the crops didn't go bad, and the most stimulating form of entertainment was getting into a bar fight.

Truly, this is the great world humans need to regain!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
5ilver said:
Well, as far as food goes, the size of a human has generally seen a steady increase which suggests food was plentiful. If there's a lack of food-> you get smaller or die and vice versa.

As far as stress and happiness, pretty much everything people did back then must have been related to hunting/fishing and eventually growing crops. And sex obviously. Whereas right now, we're forced to spend approx 7-20+ years doing nothing but studying. And then working behind a desk for the next 30 years after that :/
Compare that to doing literally nothing but drinking alcohol, fishing and making babies.
1. You assume all jobs today suck. Believe it or not some don't.

2. You assume that working endlessly on a farm from dawn till dusk in the heat of summer, the cold of winter, the rain, snow, mud, without weekends or any sort of break is better than a comfortable indoor job today. Haha, ya I bet.

3. You seem to think that people do nothing but study today when in reality we have more leisure time than ever before. Most children didn't spend time studying because they were busy WORKING farms all day as stated in point 2.

4. You seem to think people no longer have sex, or had way more sex in the past for some reason. Again, people had less time for things in general because of how much work simply staying alive was, so sex would fit right into that. Also, you no longer have any form of birth control.

5. You mention fishing, have you ever prepared a fish? It's not fun. The same applies for pretty much all food from now on. Making an average sized dinner will take hours, not counting the cleanup.

6. You mention drinking alcohol, aside from the obvious fact that alcohol exists now in much better quality and variety than anytime before, you'd still have to make all that alcohol, which, like making food, means lots of work.

7. No more medicine, about half your children will die before adulthood if you're lucky. You're wife will very likely die in childbirth if you have more than a few kids. And you could very easily die before you turn 60. I hope you're cool with all that.

8. From now on you'll spend your entire life in the same 5-7 mile area and you won't even know what's happening outside it. The only people you'll see on a regular basis are those you live with.

Of course I could go into a list of all the luxuries you'll be missing from hygene (no more toilets, shower, deoderant), to entertainment, to comfortable living, to general safety, to intellectual stimulation, but I'm assuming you already consider all of those things overrated. I doubt you'd feel the same way after a year.

I was a boyscout for 8 years. I've been on outings where we spent several weeks living in tents alone in forests, making our own food, purifying out own water. It was a cool change of pace from regular life, but I was damn glad to return home when it was over. And even then we still had it a hell of a lot better than the people you're emulating.

the_dancy_vagrant

Apr 21, 2009
"Earth" here means "Earth with 7 billion Humans on it".

The planet was here long before us, it'll be here long after we're all gone. The point of the article isn't anything new, either...there've been many other studies done that have made the same assertions: when the resources run out, there's going to be a lot of chaos, a whole whole lot of death, and we're not likely to ever achieve the same population or technology levels ever again as a species.

Realistically, it won't play out like anyone expects. But despite the guy's anarchist/row row fight the powah comments, what he's saying is basically correct. Without oil, for example, you can't make any of the following on a large scale:

-cheap/durable plastics, which are used in literally every industry in some way, shape, or form
-synthetic fibers (nylon, rayon, etc)
-cheap fertilizer
-mechanized anything - diesel engines can run on vegetable oil, but they still need petroleum products for lube and any parts made of plastic
-basically all medicine that isn't one or two steps away from plants (morphine, aspirin, etc)
-industrial grade explosives for mining/military use

Anyhow, it's not the end of the world. Just the end of human civilization as it's existed for the past 100 years or so.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Certain aspects of his point are valid. The pace of technological progress in the last few centuries has far outpaced humanities capacity to actually cope. Hell, you don't need to look far to see some vestige of our tribal heritage rearing it's ugly head and some inopportune time.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
http://io9.com/5966689/after-extensive-mathematical-modeling-scientist-declares-earth-is-fucked

so some scientist guy is saying that environmentally the earth if F***ed more or less

however what I find interesting is that this guy in a green hat an dpink hair seems to be advocating some kind of "pre technology" society
[quote/]In some ways, he says, this sends us back to pre-technology, pre-capitalist times, which promotes the stability we have otherwise lost. He went on during our conversation:

Because resistance cultures do replicate to some extent the long time scales and tightly connected time scales within indigenous cultures, we might expect that the influence of resistance, even without thinking about the details, would be to stabilize and promote sustainability.
now this I find absolutly rediculous, not only is somthing like this pretty much impossible without nuclear level widepsread destruction (oh god...don;t give this guy any ideas) but the Idea is that its somehow preferable to go back to the dark ageis in the name of the environment...thats F***ed

also
[quote/]Capitalist society moves too quickly, and our connections to each other and the world have become too superficial, to avoid destroying the world. But resistance movements ? Werner cited the Arab Spring and Occupy movements as recent examples ? could disrupt our otherwise inevitable course of enviro-destruction.[/quote]
what the fuck is this^? hardly sounds scientific[/quote]

One, pretty sure this guy is a fruit loop.

Two, the earth is fine, humanity might be fucked, but the planet will just wait a hundred thousand years an and start again.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I dont have kids, my dog will only live for another ten years.
SO, as long as the earth is not ending in the next 30 year, I am not concerned with what happens to it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
He is right on one thing, that the current economic paradigm rewards destruction of the environment. And another, that extraction and manufacturing processes add a lot of carcinogens, etc. to the ecosystem and food supply. There have to be alternatives to the way humans recklessly consume and pollute everything on the goddamn Earth without giving anything back except toxic waste.

Vault101 said:
TopazFusion said:

*Anarcho-Primitivists