so the earth is F***ed aparently..

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Well guys, this guy is a quack but don't worry, I'm a scientist, I did the numbers, and I have concluded that unless everyone gives me absolute power and total obedience to fight capitalists the Earth will be fucked.

No no, it's okay, I'm a scientist, I said so myself.

Jaksteri

Dec 6, 2011
Earth isn't f*ckd just humanity as said earlier, but we have been ever since our ancestors started to invent even more lethal methods of killing each others. As far as climate change goes, yes it happens, yes human action do efect on it, but so does everything else.

I personally find it intresting that global temparatures are at the point where they were before "small ice age" and there is evidencethat earths temperature was even warmer during acient times, has no one wondered why there are descriptions of sahara not being a desert, it got hit by acient climate change. So the earth will be fine no matter what, it's the recorvery time that is questionable.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
5ilver said:
Well, as far as food goes, the size of a human has generally seen a steady increase which suggests food was plentiful. If there's a lack of food-> you get smaller or die and vice versa.

As far as stress and happiness, pretty much everything people did back then must have been related to hunting/fishing and eventually growing crops. And sex obviously. Whereas right now, we're forced to spend approx 7-20+ years doing nothing but studying. And then working behind a desk for the next 30 years after that :/
Compare that to doing literally nothing but drinking alcohol, fishing and making babies.
*facepalm*

yeah....no

although you "cant feel loss for what you didn't have in the first place" to say life was somhow easyer then that it is now is...well it just doesnt make any sense, technological advancement as brought both good and bad points but in the end it has made things easyer and more effiecient

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
MammothBlade said:
He is right on one thing, that the current economic paradigm rewards destruction of the environment. And another, that extraction and manufacturing processes add a lot of carcinogens, etc. to the ecosystem and food supply. There have to be alternatives to the way humans recklessly consume and pollute everything on the goddamn Earth without giving anything back except toxic waste.
I know some things need to change..but a backwards approach just isn't the right way

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Vault101 said:
5ilver said:
Well, as far as food goes, the size of a human has generally seen a steady increase which suggests food was plentiful. If there's a lack of food-> you get smaller or die and vice versa.

As far as stress and happiness, pretty much everything people did back then must have been related to hunting/fishing and eventually growing crops. And sex obviously. Whereas right now, we're forced to spend approx 7-20+ years doing nothing but studying. And then working behind a desk for the next 30 years after that :/
Compare that to doing literally nothing but drinking alcohol, fishing and making babies.
*facepalm*

yeah....no
nice rebuttal there !

anyway, though extreme I see what this guy is saying, the strain on ourselves and the planet used to be lower. reverting to that will not make anyone happy except the planet probably. This is a problem that only more technological advancements can fix most likely (or better implementation of ones we have today)

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Vault101 said:
MammothBlade said:
He is right on one thing, that the current economic paradigm rewards destruction of the environment. And another, that extraction and manufacturing processes add a lot of carcinogens, etc. to the ecosystem and food supply. There have to be alternatives to the way humans recklessly consume and pollute everything on the goddamn Earth without giving anything back except toxic waste.
I know some things need to change..but a backwards approach just isn't the right way
No it isn't. Change has to be achieved with social and technological improvements, not compromises.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Back in the 1900's the human race was expected to starve to death by the 1930's because of a lack of nutrient soils, and look where we are today.
We need more technology and science if anything to solve this.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Well, regardless of all the drama thrown around about "the end of the world" *insert dramatic music here*, I can't see it ending in my lifetime.

After that, I don't care ... i'll be dead.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
I did Biology for 3 years at university, and although it's not what I've found myself doing post-education, the one thing I took away from it was that the planet is very literally, fucked.

Not that I'm advocating steps backwards in terms of technology or anything.

I think what people fail to realise is that all the small environmental issues which seem to be irrelevant sob stories on their own, are actually all part of the same problem.

Issues such as the acidification of the seas, cutting back of the rain forests, micro-plastics in the seas and species extinctions make the news for only a short time before being forgotten, but the ramifications that they have on the planet are long lasting and serious.

Human progression on Earth has been at the detriment of almost everything else that lives on our planet.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Overpopulation of the Earth will get us (probably not all life) ages before most doomsday scenarios. Population control is just terribly unpopular and treated like some abhorrent concept though. Dropping back down to 5 billion and pursuing sustainabiltiy would probably work. A real trimming down to 3 billion or so might just manage self-suffiency based on current first-world lifestyles..

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Certain aspects of his point are valid. The pace of technological progress in the last few centuries has far outpaced humanities capacity to actually cope. Hell, you don't need to look far to see some vestige of our tribal heritage rearing it's ugly head and some inopportune time.
really though? how do we know that? how much of that is just "change is scary"

I'd rather somthing more scientific and precise than "we don't connect with each other anymore"

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Great. I always thought we should take better care of the world, just in case, but it's not like anyone (out in the world, anyway) would listen to me (no, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?)

And considering society 1000 years ago was kinda... not all that good, I don;t think that's the right choice...

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
In order to say that the environment is fucked, he would first need to show what a healthy environment would look like. This isn't a trivial question (the environment has gone through some pretty drastic changes, after all) and he didn't appear to address it. Which means at best he can say "the environment is going to change dramatically from what it is now" which is quite a bit different than "the environment is fucked".

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
5ilver said:
People were happier, less stressed and better fed a few thousand years ago. I see nothing wrong with wanting to go back.
Huh? It was nothing like that. Even if you were the richest and most powerful person in a city, your life would still suck compared to most people in the first world today.
Life was horrible. You could get executed because of your race, slavery was everywhere, women weren't allowed to do anything and most people had to do gruelling manual labour for most of the day, every day, for terrible wage. There was shit everywhere and most people would never bathe. Where'd you get the better fed part? People have way more food now. Obesity was never a major health concern a few thousand years ago.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
Benni88 said:
I did Biology for 3 years at university, and although it's not what I've found myself doing post-education, the one thing I took away from it was that the planet is very literally, fucked.

Not that I'm advocating steps backwards in terms of technology or anything.

I think what people fail to realise is that all the small environmental issues which seem to be irrelevant sob stories on their own, are actually all part of the same problem.

Issues such as the acidification of the seas, cutting back of the rain forests, micro-plastics in the seas and species extinctions make the news for only a short time before being forgotten, but the ramifications that they have on the planet are long lasting and serious.

Human progression on Earth has been at the detriment of almost everything else that lives on our planet.
Exactly. And it's also frequently been bad for human health, through cumulative toxins, carcinogens, lifestyle, and so on. Medicine is forced to clean up the mess. A lot of technologies could be safer if the materials and production process were altered.
Preservatives and additives in food are particularly bad, and can be carcinogenic or hormone imbalancing. Packaging is also a hidden risk factor. All these chemicals building up in the human body can cause serious problems. And that causes more problems with obesity, because such toxins accumulate in fat cells. The risks can't be completely eliminated, but they can be minimised.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
General Twinkletoes said:
5ilver said:
People were happier, less stressed and better fed a few thousand years ago. I see nothing wrong with wanting to go back.
Have you ever been in a history class? It was nothing like that. Even if you were the richest and most powerful people in a city, your life would still suck compared to most people in the first world today.
Life was horrible. You could get executed because of your race, slavery was everywhere, women weren't allowed to do anything and you had to do gruelling manual labour for most of the day, every day, for terrible pay. There was shit everywhere and most people would never bathe.
Ehh, people coped with their lot in life. Not so much those treated as slaves or outsiders, but most people weren't severely depressed on the brink of suicide because of their situation. They didn't think in the same way, and the same paradigms we do now. We think it's terrible because of the things we are used to, and what we believe and understand now. What people believe is important. So, don't pity people in the past. That's not how contemporary humans live, it's not how we should live according to what we know now, but that's how people in the past lived. And they mostly adapted to it, accepted it as their reality.