so the earth is F***ed aparently..

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
*looks at article* Best headline ever!

OT: Seriously, people make these predictions all the time, once the 21st December doomsday thing passes, they will move onto the next date (Most likely 2016) Bring on the new doomsday predictions! My body is ready! (to debunk more doomsday theories)
I know this is semi off topic and seems random, but I am honestly curious and have to ask:
Why 2016?

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187n87s1gdeowjpg/original.jpg

Yeah, I'm not trusting that guy with my luggage, let alone the fate of all mankind
Okay so just because his hair is died and he wares a green hat you think his enviromental and scientific opinion is invalid, well someone is quick to judge.
No, because he's sixty and his hair is died and he wears a green hat I think is environmental and scientific opinion is invalid
Okay, but did you even read the artical before saying "Oh this guys old, and wears funny things, I'm gonna tottally ignore his argument and consider his points, just cause of his appearence."

So would you beleive some random white guy who's 21, got naturally brown hair, and i'sent wearing a hat and says that a cheaseburger is a vegetable?.
No, I wouldn't "beleive" some random white guy, I'll take an expert, thanks. If I knew what an "i'sent" was I probably wouldn't like it. I wouldn't believe anyone who said that "chease" burger was a vegetable either, considering that a cheeseburger is roughly 80% beef and bread.
Okay, but just cause a scientist who looks weird you say he is invalid, so you would believe some "normal" looking guy who says some ludacris fact. Oh and "i'sent" meant to be isn't, and because of its place in the sentence "i'sent" would not be an object because it does not act as a noun, so don't correct me on my english while you do not understand it.
I'll take normal looking people with not insane facts, thanks.

Also, it's "ludicrous". "Ludacris" is a rapper from Georgia

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I love this one comment by the "Dr Emilio Lizardo" fellow in the article comments;

Dr Emilio Lizardo said:
So based on his input data (which he will not share), his model (which has not been peer reviewed or validated retrospectively or prospectively) shows (or it would, if it were complete yet) that we need to become noble savages.

I think I'll keep my car for now.
While I fully support environment-friendly initiatives, this Brad Werner doesn't do much to convince anybody besides those who are already convinced.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Starik20X6 said:
Vault101 said:
... this guy in a green hat and pink hair ...
What, this guy [http://www.wiizelda.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/alttp-link1.png]?

In all seriousness, I agree something needs to be done about the direction we're headed. But, as awesome as it would be initially, turing the entire world into Hobbitton just isn't practical. I would suggest we stop spending money fighting each other for a while, and instead invest that money in clean energy. Governments, start offering incentives to clean energy companies, because it seems that "the right thing to do", "benefit of all life" and "assuring the world is still here for the future" aren't reason enough to stop killing the earth.
I think the government (at least the US one) already invests money in clean energy. I'm starting to see more and more solar panels powering things like street lamps, and government gives green energy subsidies.

There's a reason why we don't have clean energy now. It isn't because evil corporations are stopping them, it's because clean energy is really hard to make. Science doesn't just work faster the more money you throw at it. With clean energy, ideas for the main product you want to make often need materials that don't exist yet and need to be invested into. Some of these materials may or may not be possible. Scientists and engineers may just hit a wall with a massive problem that they may or may not be able to solve.

An ideal solar panel is one where it doesn't reflect light at all, but we don't have the technology capture that much sunlight for a decent price. Even if we could capture that much we can't convert most of it into electricity.

The whole green energy thing is very very young. It really started only about 40 years ago, and only became popular about 15 years ago. Massive change doesn't happen quickly.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
AstroSmash said:
Have you read an anthropology book before dismissing the fact that we were better fed before?

http://people.eku.edu/resorc/Medieval_peasant_diet.htm

Here you have it. Almost double of the average US citizen.

Maybe don't be a dick and try to counter someone's argument before laughing them in the face. Vault101 was spot on.
It's certainly not half of what a US citizen eats, you may want to read it more. The values given were for a "prosperous citizen", and could at times drop well below what was noted due to shortages (no supermarkets, fridges, or the like after all) All that is almost the same as a single large fast food meal, that's not what I would call "good eating". Also, it'd taste very bland, it's almost all bread with some fruit.

Compare too to the work listed, taking the average of jobs listed, each peasant would need 4892 calories a day, of which the average diet listed doesn't even cover that much.

Also of note: the hunter-gatherer is likely to spend less time grabbing food than the aforementioned peasant, but that's largely due to a lack of taxes. That tribe won't have much in the way of excess food to enable specialization. A priest and some craftsmen will be all that you can afford.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
MammothBlade said:
General Twinkletoes said:
5ilver said:
People were happier, less stressed and better fed a few thousand years ago. I see nothing wrong with wanting to go back.
Have you ever been in a history class? It was nothing like that. Even if you were the richest and most powerful people in a city, your life would still suck compared to most people in the first world today.
Life was horrible. You could get executed because of your race, slavery was everywhere, women weren't allowed to do anything and you had to do gruelling manual labour for most of the day, every day, for terrible pay. There was shit everywhere and most people would never bathe.
Ehh, people coped with their lot in life. Not so much those treated as slaves or outsiders, but most people weren't severely depressed on the brink of suicide because of their situation. They didn't think in the same way, and the same paradigms we do now. We think it's terrible because of the things we are used to, and what we believe and understand now. What people believe is important. So, don't pity people in the past. That's not how contemporary humans live, it's not how we should live according to what we know now, but that's how people in the past lived. And they mostly adapted to it, accepted it as their reality.
hmm pre industrial revolution things may have been bearable but I found this on a site about booze:
In Britain, 5% proof ales, ciders and mead were the staple drinks of the lower classes from at least the 8th century. This was because of unsafe water supplies contaminated by sewage. The alcohol was regulated and taxed by the church.

The first endemic rise of alcohol "abuse" occurred in the 18th century during the industrial revolution when large numbers of people from rural communities were drawn into urban slums for unskilled labour. This destroyed the lifestyle of the rural classes and the informal social controls and regulations they had developed around alcohol consumption. At the same time new technology was created around alcohol production.

The distillation of juniper berries resulted in 60% proof gin becoming widely available. This was new, experimental and had no historical or cultural regulations of use. Gin became the escapism for the masses living in deprivation and working long hours in factories. From 1700 ? 1735 the amount of gin that was taxed rose from half a million to 5 million gallons. This did not include the illicit market of an estimated 50 million gallons. In 1736 the Gin law was passed resulting in riots and a rise in consumption.

I guess you could say that's one way of dealing with the despair!

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

Yeah, I'm not trusting that guy with my luggage, let alone the fate of all mankind
Okay so just because his hair is died and he wares a green hat you think his enviromental and scientific opinion is invalid, well someone is quick to judge.
No, because he's sixty and his hair is died and he wears a green hat I think is environmental and scientific opinion is invalid
Okay, but did you even read the artical before saying "Oh this guys old, and wears funny things, I'm gonna tottally ignore his argument and consider his points, just cause of his appearence."

So would you beleive some random white guy who's 21, got naturally brown hair, and i'sent wearing a hat and says that a cheaseburger is a vegetable?.
No, I wouldn't "beleive" some random white guy, I'll take an expert, thanks. If I knew what an "i'sent" was I probably wouldn't like it. I wouldn't believe anyone who said that "chease" burger was a vegetable either, considering that a cheeseburger is roughly 80% beef and bread.
Okay, but just cause a scientist who looks weird you say he is invalid, so you would believe some "normal" looking guy who says some ludacris fact. Oh and "i'sent" meant to be isn't, and because of its place in the sentence "i'sent" would not be an object because it does not act as a noun, so don't correct me on my english while you do not understand it.

corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

So, just because how someone looks you judge them and think they are wrong. Well, where have I heard that before? Oh ya, from racists and supremacists.

Also, just out of curiosity, were you that one child in school who would make fun of kids and not listen to them because they looked "weird."

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
FelixG said:
Yeah if you believe what someone like this

says, you should really be lookin more closely at your sources.

And in an unrelated point, I have a bridge to sell to anyone who thinks this guy knows what he is talkin about!
I did not say I totally beleive him, I was just stating I don't judge people by what they look like and others should not either.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AstroSmash said:
Have you read an anthropology book before dismissing the fact that we were better fed before?

http://people.eku.edu/resorc/Medieval_peasant_diet.htm

Here you have it. Almost double of the average US citizen.

Maybe don't be a dick and try to counter someone's argument before laughing them in the face.
I do belive that food was probably healthyer due to there being less processed crap and chemicals (however thease days its more about effort/time...of coarse the low hanging fruit is going to be worse off for you), but I interpreted "better fed" as "not starving"

[quote/]Vault101 was spot on.[/quote]
....why thank you! [small/]I'm assuming thats a mistake[/small]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I KNOW that we and our technology are poinsing the planet...if we werent here the environment would be fine

my issue is everyone has the problem but whats the solution?

Zen Toombs said:
I'm not a climate change denyer eather....I just wish the hippies would come up with somthing better

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

So, just because how someone looks you judge them and think they are wrong. Well, where have I heard that before? Oh ya, from racists and supremacists.

Also, just out of curiosity, were you that one child in school who would make fun of kids and not listen to them because they looked "weird."
Actually, I was that kid who was bullied most of his childhood and then came out as gay at age thirteen. I think you'll find that White Supremacists generally aren't too kind to gays. Also, I'm a Nazi because I don't trust a pink haired aging Anarcho-Primitavist with my future? Well, this must be a definition of Nazi that I was previously unaware of.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Icehearted said:
]You remind me of those multiple studies on the affects of social networking. Mostly the consensus was that people have crossed the threshold from using tech as a tool to being enslaved by it and needing it more than they do not. Our exponential growth in certain areas and "quick fix" methods of communication have lead to all sorts of psychological disorders.
I still don't buy this "technology is teh evil" thing...sure its changing us but for the worse? I don't see how things were better in the past

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

Actually, I was that kid who was bullied most of his childhood and then came out as gay at age thirteen. I think you'll find that White Supremacists generally aren't too kind to gays. Also, I'm a Nazi because I don't trust a pink haired aging Anarcho-Primitavist with my future? Well, this must be a definition of Nazi that I was previously unaware of.
If you truly did come out of the closet at age 13, than you have earned some of my respect for that. However, doing that does not mean that you should go out and say someones argument is invalid simply because he or she looks funny.

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:
Yabba said:
corneth said:

Also, sorry if I offended you, but in my experience in life people I meet who judge others because they look funny are often bullies in school.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Vault101 said:
I KNOW that we and our technology are poinsing the planet...if we werent here the environment would be fine

my issue is everyone has the problem but whats the solution?

Zen Toombs said:
I'm not a climate change denyer eather....I just wish the hippies would come up with somthing better
...Bwa? I like... told you what the solution is. If this whole problem is fixable, we need to reduce the bad stuff we are doing. We can do that by doing less bad things (e.g. drive less! burn less fossil fuels!), by making the bad things we do less bad (drive cars with efficient gas mileage! use renewable energy!), or, preferably, both. This isn't a "hippy" problem, it's everyone's problem. Any solution is going to be at least slightly unpleasant.